Going Back 38,000 Years - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-12, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Six_Paths_of_Pain's Flag is: USA

Default Going Back 38,000 Years

Ok guys, I'm super curious... is there ANY kind of documented information on WH40K's early times? Perhaps what happened on Earth, or 1st conquests, or the reason why they are soo religious when it comes to Technology (Don't know if they are, but it sure looks like it atleast).

All the way from our current time, to their's.

Anyone?

The Crying Wolves

Visit my Deviantart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-12, 08:26 AM

Well, the reason why their so religous about technology is simple, we witnessed the event that started it all.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-12, 10:26 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

I can give you some more detailed information when i get home and have access to my books tomorrow but the short answer is no we don't have much information on pre-Age of the Imperium 40k. Most of what we have is rather vague.

We know that at some point ( i can't remember the exact dates but i'll add them later) Humanity discovered faster than light travel via the warp, created the first navigators and colonised the galaxy at an accelerated rate. This was the Golden Age.

The next epoch was the Dark Age of Technology (called so by the current Imperium as man existed without religion. Whilst they had scientific knowledge they lacked 'enlightenment' of the glorious God-Emperor) which despite the name was mankind's greatest period of scientific advancement. The 'Gold Men' and 'Stone Men' created the Iron Men; robot servants and warriors. They also created the STC systems, brilliant systems where the program could create anything you asked for given out of any available materials. These systems are where we get the Land Raider, Rhino, Leman Russ, Titan blueprints from, basically the origin of all 40k tech. There's also all manner of archeotech and hideously powerful weapons and advanced technology.

The Dark Age of Technology came to a close when the Iron Men revolted. Whilst this was occurring warp storms enveloped much of the galaxy. More and more human psychics were born, wreaking havoc on an unprepared humanity. Countless human words were destroyed or enslaved by alien races or daemonic invaders. This was the Age of Strife.

The Age of Strife continued until M.30 when the warp storms abated with the birth of Slaanesh (and Fall of the Eldar and creation of the Eye of Terror) and the Emperor rose to unify humanity and establish a galactic empire. So began the Age of the Imperium, where 40k currently resides.

The above may have some chronological issues but like i said, i don't have my sources on hand. I'll come back when i do.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-12, 10:31 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

The religion and superstition around technology exists simply because they do not understand the stuff's workings and functionality - the ritual around activating a device is more important than the pulling of a lever that actually does the doing.

They get more and more scared, and more and more insular - and anyone in the Mechanicus who challenges this and tries to retro-engineer things is killed as a blasphemer against the Machine God, it's as big a taboo as there is. As time goes on, the Imperials actually understand less and less of their own technology, they'll end up like Mekboyz.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-12, 04:32 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

What the TKE said.

There is actual scholarship on the nature of superstition.

Check out the third paragraph here discussing the lagoon fishing vs. open sea fishing among the trobriand islanders. It begins "an interesting and crucial . . ."

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-12, 07:36 PM

During the dark age they terraformed entire worlds, and well really absolutely anything else was possible, they had a degree of technology that high.

Wife: "How much do you have invested in these ... miniatures?"

Me: "I don't think invested is the right word."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode