Using Space Marines as Space Wolves - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Six_Paths_of_Pain's Flag is: USA

Default Using Space Marines as Space Wolves

Before I start, I'm hoping im on the right section...

Some of u guys may know, I'm currently trying to build up a Custom Chapter based off Space Wolves Codex, my problem is that I currently got my eyes on a Tactical Space Marine Squad and it's giving me a headache. From my understanding, the Space Wolves "Basic" squad is called "Space Wolf Pack", but I see that the Wolf Pack's choice of weapons are Chain Swords and Bolt Pistols, while the Tactical Space Marine Squad has Boltguns instead...

VS

[Please note that I have not read the Codex yet (got to buy one)]

What I want to know is, if I buy a Tactical Squad, can I treat them as a Wolf Pack? Or do they HAVE to have a Melee Weapon + Pistol to be correct with the Space Wolf Codex? Also, I notice mode advanced units for Space Wolves use alot of Melee weapons, meaning that if I use other Space Marine models, would I have to change their arms to Melee type weapons such as Claws? (I wouldn't mind doing it, but would like to know if there is choices)

Cause to be honest... I'm not too crazy about the whole Barbaric look (Keeping the wolf feel, but with a cleaner look, ), but at the same time I do like the Space Wolves style when it comes to battlefield (from what I read on forums).

Thanks.

The Crying Wolves

Visit my Deviantart

Last edited by Six_Paths_of_Pain; 04-28-12 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 10:26 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ah, this is what not reading the Codex will do...

Space Wolves have two 'natural' Troops choices. Grey Hunters, and Blood Claws. Blood Claws are kinda Scouts in Power Armour (ie, bad at the whole fighting thing) and Grey Hunters are Tactical Marines with no heavy weapons, no Combat Squads, no Combat Tactics, but a CCW on top of their Bolter and Pistol, and Counter-Attack and the ability to smell in the dark [which is of limited use, as they have no heavy weapons...]
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 10:27 AM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

i think the "wolf pack" are blood claws who are CC units, the Grey hunters are the "normal" SM style units with boltguns etc.

[EDIT] damn ninjas

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 10:30 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

I don't think anyone would have an issue with you proxing marines for... marines. The thing that might be an issue is WYSIWYG. Since you'd have to tell your opponent, this marine is equipped with this, not what you see. And since it is a custom chapter, also let them know what codex you are using. And on that note, do pick up the codex. The SW organization is really quite different (I can't remember the different troop choices--I think scouts are involved, but they're not like SM that's for sure). I'd recommend building an army list first and using that as your shopping list.

[EDIT: Ninja'd, too.]

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log

Last edited by Dicrel Seijin; 04-28-12 at 10:32 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm... I see. So if I buy a GH squad, it's pretty much as if I bought a Tactical Squad.

I really like bolters, guys, and it would disappoint me not to use them... I know... pathetic.

As I was waiting for replies, I bumped into this while typing Grey Hunters on Google

Ignoring the fact that this is one of the most beautiful squads I've seen, I notice none are holding Chain Swords........... Unless this is a Regular Tactical Squad with SW looks.........

The Crying Wolves

Visit my Deviantart

Last edited by Six_Paths_of_Pain; 04-28-12 at 10:47 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 10:44 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

Well, the squad isn't fully WYSIWYG - they have no pistols, CCWs, or Grenades - but considering the paint job, I think we should let him/her off...

Last edited by TheKingElessar; 04-28-12 at 10:46 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 12:14 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

The space wolf pack contains more than bolt pistols and chain swords,it also contains loads of spare heads bolters and other stuff to transform the standard space marine kits into space wolves, there is no one or the other or proxy , they all work together.
Click on my bannet below and search for wolf pack to see what is in the box

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 02:11 PM
Jeep's and Harley's

OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA

The thing is that you can use the Tactical squad as Grey Hunters and you are covered by WYSIWYG. You only need to model a special weapon such as a frost weapon or power fist. The unit comes with bolters, bolt pistols, and a ccw. If you use the Tactical squad for them you are fine as the models are assumed to have all the normal gear that is in the profile for them.

You do not need to put frag and krak grenades on any of the marines as that is in the profile for them, melta bombs do need to be modeled on them as they are an option. If you have to spend points for it then it should be on the model. This is mostly to keep your enemy from being confused about what the guys are equipped with. If your opponent has played any games against the SW's before then he should know that GH have bolters and ccw/pistol on each guy.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-12, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
The space wolf pack contains more than bolt pistols and chain swords,it also contains loads of spare heads bolters and other stuff to transform the standard space marine kits into space wolves, there is no one or the other or proxy , they all work together.
Click on my bannet below and search for wolf pack to see what is in the box
Unfortunately I just bought mines and when I opened, I didn't get Bolters, all I got was Handgun Bolters, Chain Swords/Power Sword/Hammer, and A SH*T LOAD OF HAIRY HEADS!! (Lol). Soo I'm in the hunt for bolters and SM Helmets, which is ok, atleast I bought the hard part... the boxset itself.

The Crying Wolves

Visit my Deviantart
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-12, 09:19 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

Huh? 'Handgun Bolters'?? They're Bolters mate, same as any other...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode