Vehicle-free Gaming - Page 10 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 196 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 03:16 PM

Scythes's Flag is: USA

Deathwing termies have all kinds of options not available to vanilla termies. You could have a squad with 1 LC/LC, 1 TH/SS, 1 PF/SB, 1 PW/SB, 1 assault cannon. You could even go 5 TH/SS and give one of them a cyclone missile launcher. There's so much custimization in DW, they're pretty cool. And RW, vanilla marines don't get a scout move for their bikes or the ability to put land speeders in their bike squads. You can come close to DW and RW with vanilla marines and SW, but not quite.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 196 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 03:21 PM
Banned
VanquisherMBT's Flag is: England

Customization is true, but in the end what really makes deathwing?, the fluff and the bone armour, no matter what codex you use, paint them that way and everybody knows who they are

Heck you could use the chaos codex with basic marine models, you paint the bikes black and the termis bone and guess who they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
I'm sorry, what? Do you even know what the words you type mean?
Yes, but thank you for asking, your concern is touching

Last edited by VanquisherMBT; 04-23-12 at 03:31 PM.
post #93 of 196 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 03:38 PM
nevynxxx's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherMBT View Post
You can still download the rules from GW can't you?
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/co...&aId=21500022a
See, not completely binned
True, but no new models, and less of a *scene* to play it in doesn't help.

I was more trying to make a point that the game the person I quoted was looking for already exists.... ;)

post #94 of 196 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 03:39 PM

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
I'm sorry, what? Do you even know what the words you type mean?
I happen to agree with the chap you are talking about. You don't *need* special rules to make a Ravenwing army or Deathwing army, you can just use the vanilla codex, or any other marine codex. Using the DA codex just optimises the number of bikes you can take, and the formations you can build. You don't *need* to use the DA codex, or Sammael / Belial / whoever. You *can* just take bikes and paint them black, or terminators and paint them bone.

You don't need special rules to make *any* army. What you *do* with any of the rules makes the army special.

That's an entirely seperate debate though.

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff
post #95 of 196 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 03:54 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Customization is true, but in the end what really makes deathwing?, the fluff and the bone armour, no matter what codex you use, paint them that way and everybody knows who they are

Heck you could use the chaos codex with basic marine models, you paint the bikes black and the termis bone and guess who they are

Yes, but thank you for asking, your concern is touching
What really makes the wombles? The fur and uncle bulgaria, no matter what codex you use, model them that way and everybody knows who they are.

If you want to, you can use your Baneblade as a Rhino Transport, according to that manner of thinking. Or your Assault Cannon terminators as a single guardsman, his asscan representing a lasgun, his powerfist as a ccw.

I can take that comment as far as I want.

Using rules as what the rules are however, without going into "counts as", to run a Deathwing Army, of all Dark Angel Deathwing Terminators, you need Belial.

Archon Dan, I'm sorry but to relegate the answer of "can I play without vehicles" returning the answer of a) yes, simply don't take them, is to destroy the entire purpose of the debate and should have been asked in rules discussion.

Don't be THAT demick.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #96 of 196 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 03:58 PM
Banned

Somebody had to try to be a smartass and take my point too far didn't they, well fine, if your going to be that childish about it and start saying a baneblade is your rhino and comparing that to a terminator being a terminator your free to do so, its still utterly stupid and hopefully anyone with half a brain will see that.

A terminator from any rulebook, painted in bone (or black pre heresy) with the correct markings is a deathwing terminator, a baneblade sitting in for a rhino does not make a rhino, it makes you an idiot

In fact go out, buy a box of terminators, build 2 of them, paint them both bone and stick red winged swords on there arms, and tell me what both are
Then buy a baneblade, and a rhino, paint them both green, stick white wing swords on them, and see if they both look like rhinos

Last edited by VanquisherMBT; 04-23-12 at 04:07 PM.
post #97 of 196 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 04:48 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Somebody had to try to be a smartass and take my point too far didn't they, well fine, if your going to be that childish about it and start saying a baneblade is your rhino and comparing that to a terminator being a terminator your free to do so, its still utterly stupid and hopefully anyone with half a brain will see that.

A terminator from any rulebook, painted in bone (or black pre heresy) with the correct markings is a deathwing terminator, a baneblade sitting in for a rhino does not make a rhino, it makes you an idiot

In fact go out, buy a box of terminators, build 2 of them, paint them both bone and stick red winged swords on there arms, and tell me what both are
Then buy a baneblade, and a rhino, paint them both green, stick white wing swords on them, and see if they both look like rhinos
A Terminator who is not chosen from the Deathwing unit selection is not one of the Deathwing, no matter how you dress it up. Things have names for a reason.

A Deathwing Marine who is not in Terminator armour, similarly, is not a Deathwing Marine, he's a Space Marine in the colours of the Deathwing, or he's an illegal model with incorrect wargear and, presumably, the wrong base size.

@Tabby - No, that's not the case. Only in a Deathwing army can the Terminators Score, this is not a valid option from the 'nilla Codex. You use the 'wrong' book and you merely have models that look like Deathwing. Similarly, if you use Death Company models as Assault Marines, they are no longer Death Company.
post #98 of 196 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 05:09 PM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
What really makes the wombles? The fur and uncle bulgaria, no matter what codex you use, model them that way and everybody knows who they are.

If you want to, you can use your Baneblade as a Rhino Transport, according to that manner of thinking. Or your Assault Cannon terminators as a single guardsman, his asscan representing a lasgun, his powerfist as a ccw.

I can take that comment as far as I want.

Using rules as what the rules are however, without going into "counts as", to run a Deathwing Army, of all Dark Angel Deathwing Terminators, you need Belial.

Archon Dan, I'm sorry but to relegate the answer of "can I play without vehicles" returning the answer of a) yes, simply don't take them, is to destroy the entire purpose of the debate and should have been asked in rules discussion.

Don't be THAT demick.
Only trying to difuse all the hostility. There is a way to debate without being rude. Furthermore, this thread has moved well beyound the intended debate subject. The OP asked for thoughts on not using vehicles and I think a good amount have been provided from both sides. Let the thread die and settle any personal matters in PMs.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #99 of 196 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 05:20 PM

Blacksword72's Flag is: USA

Well, I think you would see alot of changes to alot of different lists out there, Alot of lists now that you are seeing, has alot of Tank busting weaponary, I don't think it would overly effect how armies perform per se, It would just force players to think a bit more carefully on how they select respective lists..(and how they would set up and deploy deepstrike ect) I would keep the Standard 6x4 table size though, because that could affect deep striking units, and stuff like that and also remember that footmodel count will go WAY UP for some armies. A 40k game without vehicles? Could be very interesting!!!
post #100 of 196 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
A Terminator who is not chosen from the Deathwing unit selection is not one of the Deathwing, no matter how you dress it up. Things have names for a reason.

A Deathwing Marine who is not in Terminator armour, similarly, is not a Deathwing Marine, he's a Space Marine in the colours of the Deathwing, or he's an illegal model with incorrect wargear and, presumably, the wrong base size.
1: wow your good at missing points, fluff makes deathwing, not codex, no matter the codex the fluff is the same, its why I can build an entire dark angel army without touching the dark angel codex at all, by just painting them green, using the correct markings, and using the same fluff...TA DAAAAA

2: your example is almost as bad as a baneblade rhino, especially since I never said making a basic marine a deathwing terminator, but I suppose making shit up to look like you know what your saying is one way of doing it
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode