A Tale of 4 Gamers - Part 1 - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-02-12, 09:20 AM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

Well its a homemade lightbox made from 2 pieces of A4 paper and the top of the Sphinx box, simple but it works well.

The magnetizing went a lot easier than I thought, the hardest part was working out where to put the magnets in respect to the places on the models where they wouldn't be seen. And being VERY patient with the pin drill, not drilling all the way through the plastic.

The washes will commence either tonight or tomorrow depending on what work my missus has to do for her Uni Dissertation and when she's at work. (I get about 12 hours to myself each week)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-02-12, 12:54 PM
Halloween Town

jondoe297's Flag is: England

@ Ratvan Loving the magnetizing on the kitty, although I wouldn't run the Necrosphinx it is a good use of parts!
I used my necrosphinx parts to put together a heirophant.

Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs aren't Happy
Malifaux/hobby podcast - check it out for inane ramblings
http://isleoffauxrecords.podbean.com/
post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-02-12, 02:12 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

@ jondoe297 - Yeah I am aware that the Necrosphinx is the weakest of the two on paper however I would like the option of running it every once in a while, plus I seen them create havoc on the flanks with flying charges against low-mid leadership armies. Plus you never know I might run an Entombed list now and again

post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-02-12, 02:40 PM
Halloween Town

I am looking forward to see your Tomb Kings come together as I'm in the beginning stages of painting up my TK's myself!

post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-02-12, 02:58 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Oh great so thats you and CGall10 who both like the TK's no pressure then lol. I have a few variations of the lists written up so if I fancy something a little different I can play that and keep the army away from being stagnant (which is the problem I have in the past with collecting and gaming with the one force)
post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-03-12, 02:04 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Default Shifting Sands

Hmmm double post,

Ok well I thought that I'd try and write a narrative of the battle that I fought last night, so here it goes, hopefully you'll get an idea of how it went if my story telling is good?

Khremian Warshinx - 230
Fiery Breath

7 Questing Knights - 248
FC, Warbanner

The seven Knights laden in their fine armour had reduced themselves to mimicing the local tribespeople draping cloth over their armour to cool themselves slightly and reduce the glare of the sun from their polished armour. The horses were tired, and thirsty. Through the shimmer of the haze they could spot a small growth of greenery amongsts the baked dry clay of the endless desert. Their lances were held aloft the pennants hanging limp in the dry still arid air. They had not seenany forms of life in the last 2 days since the chance encounter of the Cathayan caravan making its long way north following the ancient spice road into the vaults an on the markets and den of vices that was known as Marienburg.

As they approached the Oasis the past under the shadow of another statue that littered this desert, the stonework and artistry of this one however had fared better against the rasping effects of sand and time then many of the others. Small glimpses of paint still hung to parts of the construct. The statue had the appearance of a for legged cat, the artisan who had constructed it had carved a howdah on the back although this was partially buried beneath a mighty sand dune, the tips of spears could be seen amongst the shifting sand.

Their horses drank long and deep from the waters and the Knights took the welcome oppourtunity to wash their faces and bodies in the small amount of water, they had heard tales from the local tribes of the beasts that hunted these locations, mystical tales of logs with teeth that took the unwary from beneath the surface. They filled their packs with water and drank deep themselves, free of the cloying sands their spirits were lifted and they joined tales and songs around their fire as the cold of dusk approached.

Suddenly their was the unmistakable sound of stone shifting across stone, the Knights lept to their feet and drew their weapons from the sheathes in their backpacks and waited, ears and eyes straining for any movement or sounds other then that of the crickets and flies that made life in this little paradise. Moving cautiously to thier steeds they unhobbled the nervous looking beasts and mounted, awaiting for the threat to show itself.

The ground moved, dry sand and baked clay lifting a settling like waves and all could here what sounded like the unmistakable sound of large footfalls, each one on their quests had battled creature that shook the ground but none had battled a creature that big that couldn't be seen. The ground moved again, the Knights struggled to calm their mighty steeds, they became concerned their steeds had witnessed as much bloodshed in battle as they for these mighty beasts to show fear made each of the Knights heart to pound in its chest.

Movement, against the dune, the statue was moving, emerging from the desert the sand pouring off of it like water sloughs of the plow of a ship. As one they faced their tormentor and began to gallop, grasping their weapons two handed and each offering a prayer to the lady that they may defend here honour on this day. They had dismissed the tales of the statues coming to life, being possessed by this life force these "Djinn"

Closer now they could see the warriors long dead in the Howdah, they could see the burning deep in the throat of the opening mouth of the giant statuesque feline that bore down on them, they could feel the heat wash over them and they could feel the cooling touch of the blessing of the lady. They felt their weapons clatter ineffectively off of the stonework of the living statue, two of their number was smashed off of their horses by the mighty blows of the beast, another two were born to the ground by the spears of the eternal warriors atop its back, one of the four managed to get back on his horse, bloodied but far from finished.

The swirling combat continued, another knight and his steed was caught in the gaping maw of the stone beast, their bodies crushed, their blood draining into the baked clay of the long dry river bed. The remaining three Knights swollowed their fear, uttered a prayer to the lady and renewed their attacks their blades hacking at the stone of the head and the face, a fountain of blood signalled the end of another of their number as he was crushed under the front paw of the nightmare. The raminign two their faith vanishing turned their backs on the combat and fled into the desert the beast and its warriors pursued them to the dunes before settling back into its position, deep underground buried by sand and time the hatred of the living could be felt slowly fading, over time the metal would bake and rust the flesh attraction carrion to the scene of the skirmish and the memory of the dangers of the Oasis would be forgotten once again.

Please note all reference to Knights being squished is not due to Thunderstomp or Thundercrush but rather typical attacks

Also I have set up a PLog so not to bog this thread down with WIP shots

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=108477

Last edited by Ratvan; 04-03-12 at 10:11 PM. Reason: PLog Link :D
post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 01:11 PM
Halloween Town

Bad start to the week, as I went to base coat my greyknights they slipped off the box and the Inquisitor lost peter pointer. . . .
Anywho managed to get in a game in yesterday with my boys

My list
Inquisitor rad and psychotroke grenades and psychic upgrade
5 purifiers with two psycannons, two FH's anda DH

His list
Wolf lord Frost axe, belt of russ
Lone wolf with mark of the wulfen
9 Grey hunters
9 Grey hunters with plasma gun
*side note my opponent is a regular whfb player but this is his first game in about a year of 40k so essentially it was a getting to know how to play/rules game*

We rolled up pitched battle with capture and control.

I set up first deploying just behind some ruins with inquisitor attached.

He deployed one grey hunters (with plasma gun) unit with wolf lord on his objective and sent the lone wolf and other squad of grey hunters on a hunting mission.

1st turn
GK's
Moved up into the ruins, nothing in range so ran to get better field of fire.
SW's
Wolf lord squad hunkers down. lone wolf and grey hunters close in on the grey knights

2nd turn
GK's
Open fire on the advancing grey hunters mowing down 3
SW's
Lone wolf continues his advance grey hunters move up and rapid fire Inquistor is wounded and Halberd guy bites the dust

3rd turn
GK's
Open fire on the GH's again killing 1
SW's
GH's open fire but GK's stand firm, Lone wolf assaults - then gets bitch slapped by the remaining FH. Consolidate off the ruins.

4th Turn
GK's move up to the SW's open fire killing 2 and they break.
SW's rally and fire onto the GK's killing a psycannon.

5th turn
GK's shoot/ assault GH's and wipe them out but lost the Inquistor.
GH's with WL move to intercept the GK's
Carries on

6th turn
GK's shoot the second squad of GH's mowing down 4!
GH's move up and rapid fire, GK's PA holds once more!
Last turn

GK's shoot taking another 2 out then assaults. FH wipes out all bar the wolf lord and 1 GH, wolf lord fluffs only kills one marine (psycannon guy) last GH also fluffs DH wielding GK slays both the Wolf lord and remaining GH.

I'm aware this was an easy win due to the noobish level of opponent, but I managed to get a few games in and hopefully my opponent learnt some stuff about 40k and SW's as I helped where and when I could.

I'm impressed with the abilities of the purifiers and I am strongly tempted to base a unit or two focusing on a bit of cc! Esp backed up by an Inquisitor. But that is for another story. *apologies* for the lack of interesting story like Mr Ratvan, I will endeavour to bulk out the next one.

Last edited by jondoe297; 04-04-12 at 03:00 PM.
post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 01:45 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Good report, the only resaon I wrote mine up as narrative was because it was boring as hell until the 5th attempt at the match which is what I wrote up.

Good win, the shooting abilities of the Grey Knights are very impressive and the Purifiers are a good counter punch unit that can be great at taking down a weakened unit
post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-06-12, 08:24 PM
To The Dark Tower Came

The Gunslinger's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hey guys just letting you know that after painting ten marines iv decided to make a change and paint up a predator instead of the scouts.
Cheers

Check out my Project Log: Forbidden Colours!
post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-07-12, 12:15 PM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

heres the project log for my army

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...67#post1194567

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode