Space Wolves Rant, mainly their Long Fangs - Page 17 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-07-12, 03:14 PM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
... I give up.
yeah, I gave up too, hes too stubborn and not the brightest bulb in the box obviously, and he wants to stick to his guns about how CC sucks, despite all the information showing otherwise.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-07-12, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
The Long Fang rules make perfect sense assuming everyone wasn't an elite genetically modified super solider, raised from childhood for the sole purpose of war. Long Fangs appear to be the only ones who can take a sergeant who can tell 2 guys to fire at that tank, and you two guys fire at THAT tank. I mean I know this is a fiendishly difficult thing they're trying, clearly because if the sergeant dies they revert to a all firing at the same thing, unable to self determine what they should shoot at, perhaps they draw lots or something to choose a target. Presumably regular Space Marine sergeants spend their entire lives just shouting at them 'You fire at that, you fire at that you useless metal pricks' whilst his squad mates gleefully ignore him and continue all firing the same way.
Yeah. This.

Before this thread, I didn't realise that all the other space marines who had been fighting for decades, trained from a young age, implanted with a seed that makes them the best warriors that exist within the entire galaxy-spanning imperium, wouldn't be able to think for themselves at all.

All of this has happened before.
post #163 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-07-12, 07:53 PM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

please read the rulebook. units cant split fire, it is the way the rules work and has fluff justifications in the rulebook. just like the long fang split fire rule is explained perfectly in their fluff section. The rule is there, suck it up and deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory

post #164 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-07-12, 08:10 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Hehe according to the fluff, normal chapter dev squads are about experienced as bloodclaws......

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #165 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-07-12, 08:18 PM
Rattlehead

Hell yeah, they're only a few years of weapons training away from being illiterate barbarians.

Anyways, as I believe I have previously stated, melee is cool. Close combat isn't in the game because smacking someone in the face with a Chainaxe is practical, it's there because its fucking awesome.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #166 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-07-12, 08:39 PM
HOGGLORD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: That place, you know. That place you went to that one time, surely you remember?

Long fangs vs sternguard thing,
Long fangs are older, know each other better as pack brother for a long time etc, they are space wolves and subsequently less pressed for drills and whatnot and most importantly, are from a newer codex! If you were to compare IG stormtroopers to the old kaskarins, they would be infinately better. Compare chaos marines now to the old codex ones, much better again (I mean the standard troops, not the codex as a whole). When a new codex is made, they invariably try to make them good, and often seem to get a little overzealous.
And what the fuck are you all complaining about? Sternguard special ammo is up in my top ten list of most god-damned awsome special rules in the history of forever!
BTW, someone said earlier on that Dante was the oldest marine, not true. He is the oldest fully living loyalist marine, Bjorn the Fell-Handed's the oldest and about half the populous of the CSM seem to be 10k years old, and yet abaddon is somehow only a bit better than Calgar ... but that's another story.

post #167 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-07-12, 08:51 PM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGGLORD View Post
Long fangs vs sternguard thing,
Long fangs are older, know each other better as pack brother for a long time etc, they are space wolves and subsequently less pressed for drills and whatnot and most importantly, are from a newer codex! If you were to compare IG stormtroopers to the old kaskarins, they would be infinately better. Compare chaos marines now to the old codex ones, much better again (I mean the standard troops, not the codex as a whole). When a new codex is made, they invariably try to make them good, and often seem to get a little overzealous.
And what the fuck are you all complaining about? Sternguard special ammo is up in my top ten list of most god-damned awsome special rules in the history of forever!
BTW, someone said earlier on that Dante was the oldest marine, not true. He is the oldest fully living loyalist marine, Bjorn the Fell-Handed's the oldest and about half the populous of the CSM seem to be 10k years old, and yet abaddon is somehow only a bit better than Calgar ... but that's another story.
Actually even taking into account the warps effects on aging most CSM named characters are at least 1 millenia old now. Heresy 35M current setting 41-42M. Mind you their age isn't that surprising considering kharn has been brought back from the dead at least once.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #168 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-07-12, 08:57 PM
Unforgiven

gally912's Flag is: USA

I don't find the split fire to be too much of an issue. If you think of every codex as a separate faction with different rules, it's fine mechanically.

That said, the fluff justification *is* silly in comparison with the fluff from any other chapter. Space Marine Sergeants are all veterans of a hundred campaigns, to inlcude Devastator Sgts, and long fang team leads are no more experienced than that. So while the fluff may "justify" it, the fluff boils down to Long Fangs being "moar awesomer" than other marines.

In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, there is no Common Sense.
post #169 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-07-12, 09:14 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

The entire reason that Long Fangs have that rule in the first place is to differentiate them from normal Marines.

I don't understand why there has to be a fluff justification for it to be an acceptable thing. Ravenwing Bikes have Scout. Why? To make them different from normal Bikers. Deathwing Terminators are Fearless. Why? To make them different. That's all the reason needed and it certainly isn't worth anyone getting upset over.
post #170 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-07-12, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

LordOfAbsolution's Flag is: United Kingdom

see I'm for the whole to make them different from the rest, you don't want the 1000 chapters of the adeptus astartes being exactly the same, that would just be... dull and exactly what the Space Smurfs would want.

having a theme behind the army is fine, but claiming that the fluff of a single unit is the reason why they can do it is kind of silly, if we were using fluff to design how a unit plays then Eldar Farseer, hell even warlocks should be able to mind rape any one without needing to roll any dice... but now-a-days 'Everyone and their mums have better powers round here' (rep to anyone who guesses what I based that off, been watching it today).

but yeah this thread has gone completely off the rails here, I don't know why it got into a massive discussion about Dakka and Choppa'. But if it is off the rails I might as well go off some more rails too. I foudn a thread earlier by Sir_m1ke making a 5th ed Eldar codex and I liked the idea behind the Farseer and Warseer HQs, don't get me wrong Eldritch storm and mind war are cool, but I look at some powers others have *cough* Njal *cough* and I'm just sat there like 'you bitch'... I want awesome powers of death and doom, I'm Eldar why don't we get death and doom powers?

"By the Grace of the Emperor we live, By his will he shatter the Horrors of the Warp, with our blades we will cleanse the galaxy!" - Lord Commander Dominicus of the Saints of Absolution.

"The Emperor is the god of all Mankind, and we, are his lightning bolts that strike down his enemies" - from the book of Absolution

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode