When old trolls ruin it for kids.... - Page 10 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-13-12, 07:25 PM

Farseer Darvaleth's Flag is: Great Britain

Dicks like this kill the hobby. They need to take their try-hard wannabe asshole attitudes somewhere it won't damage the future of what is truly a beautiful thing.

Give a man a match, and he's warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life!

Cato Marquand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-13-12, 08:54 PM

Ultra1's Flag is: USA

i've read the thread and will agree that we don't know all the facts. with that said i will comment on people who act "like" the person described. (to be clear, NOT the actual person described, people that ACT like he was described)

Yes, they exist. most if not all of us have seen them. people like that do not advance the hobby and only exist to prove their awesomeness, which more often than not just isn't there. i usually am able to control my temper, but if someone were to act like that to my son i no kidding would drag him into the back alley and give him a thorough @$$ whooping. i've seen kids come in my local store, they stop to ask questions. i take my time to talk to them about what's going on, and even give the parents advice about how to get into the game in a cost effective manner. because let's face it, when you see 2 people playing an awesome game with some cool painted figures it sounds great. but to be realistic most kids aren't going to want to put in that kind of time. if they do, FAN FREAKING TASTIC! If not, then at least my store owner made some $$ and will ensure he stays open, and the parents won't have spent an arm and a leg.
post #93 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-13-12, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

ARMORMAN's Flag is: USA

I'm a bit confused. Back in 4th ed. in the Macragge boxed set (bear with me, it's been years since I looked at it) wasn't the combat squad sized with no HQ? Did 5th make it so that you had to have a minimum of an HQ and 2 squads?

BTW, this was not a GW Store, but an independent retailer where the incident happened.

post #94 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-13-12, 09:13 PM

Silens's Flag is: Wales

My FLGS has a clean-cut strict 'Games Workshop MODELS only' policy. I was also told I couldn't use a GW model on the same base size as another model (Though in fairness, I looked it up and a Doombull is significantly taller than a Rhinox ). However, the store also has an "
" rule. If you don't have sufficient models for a game in the shop.. They give you them (Temporarily) for you to have a game, but you are not allowed to do this any more than once. This is for EVERYBODY. Me and my friend went into the shop. We're both 17, but he looks more like 19 (At 6'6) and I look more like 14 (At 5'7) and we've both been given around 2000 point armies in the past. We've seen the same happen for the younger members. The store is very kid-friendly, but normally things will try and be arranged so you get like all the under 14s on one table, young adults on another and then proper adults on another. The only exceptions to this rule are veterans night (You only have to be 10, according to the assistant manager, to attend.. But it starts at like 6pm, so the one time I went I was the youngest in the club). At veterans night, it was one of the best environments ever... I was probably lucky to get the more mature people, but they were happy to lend me a measuring tape (Which I didn't have) and didn't mind when I knocked their models over three or four times (I hadn't eaten in around 24 hours, so I was shaking like I had parkinsons) as I was very apologetic.. And only knocked over the same annoyingly placed plastic guardians from the top of a building right next to my troops. We compromised with rules (Which I must say, I'm getting better with) and there was no arguments over "NO! YOUR BLAST TEMPLATE DOESN'T TOUCH THE BASE" "YES IT DOES, THAT'S ANOTHER ENTIRE WOUND!!!". I like to promote this attitude in our school club.. We've even promoted scratch builds to some players (Orks), but iterated that they must be accurate representations. By the time we're done explaining how you need to model them, they're intimidated enough to cough up the 20-30 for the real thing.

As many have said in this post, we only have one side of the story. I would very much like to see this paper tank, hopefully scaled next to an actual land raider? Then maybe we could reach a little bit of an agreement on whether or not this was acceptable. Someone said earlier that they used a command barge box as a doomsday ark in a game. I would have been a little iffy on this, but probably wouldn't have any quarrels. I proxy stuff all the time in school when trying out new lists, as long as they've got the same bases and roughly the same size. I had four flayed ones pretending to be Immortals the other day, and my opponent (Who I believe is 13 with learning difficulties) was completely fine with it (And it was a bloody close game too! - Fun). Did the uncle of the boy ask in advance if it would be okay, or for that matter did the boy ask the GM? I can easily see a stressed out GM (Having to sort out a large game and such) getting quickly irritable with a stubborn child and snapping. It's no excuse.. But we can't presume that this guy is a complete asshole who instantly began raging at a child for the simple suggestion that he might be allowed to use a Land Raider made to near-perfect specifications, simply out of paper. Just my input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"
post #95 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-14-12, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

ARMORMAN's Flag is: USA

This brings up a somewhat related question: Where you people game, do they have table or gaming fees and if so how much and is there a time limit?
post #96 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-14-12, 10:43 PM

Samules's Flag is: USA

I game at a GW, there is a two hour time limit and the fee is using only GW models.
post #97 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-14-12, 11:00 PM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

I game at my FLGS. no time limit, because there are 17 tables. On club nights there is a 7 fee per person, that gives us the use of the table, late night opening (11pm) and free tea and coffee. The fee at my local GW is that you have to put up with the staff trying to sell you things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
post #98 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-15-12, 01:04 AM

MidnightKid333's Flag is: Canada

does he seriously expect the kid to have the money for a legit tank? What a fool.

I am aware that Warhammer is a serious Hobby for many people, but when it is a kid, you say "awesome tank!" and move the fuck on.

post #99 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-15-12, 10:29 AM

increaso's Flag is: England

Let me get this right:

Armorman the 10 year old boy gets upset because his GM uncle doesn't like his cardboard tank and kicks him out of the store crying. Then Armorman comes back to the store with his dad and his dad dumps a carrier bad of cheap transformers on the table and call them Tau. The uncle goes mad and tries to kick him out and the police are called to remove the dad.

What has the world come to. Armorman should really be allowed to use his card tank. He is a kid after all and can't necessarily afford the pricier models and he was keen to learn to play, but it now really upset. The dad really shouldn't have come in and aggravated the GM, it really didn't help matters and this exemplifies the lack of reading in this thread. It really put the icing on the cake that the store didn't have models for learners to use. That is the shame of the situation.
post #100 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-15-12, 10:31 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by increaso View Post
Let me get this right:

Armorman the 10 year old boy gets upset because his GM uncle doesn't like his cardboard tank and kicks him out of the store crying. Then Armorman comes back to the store with his dad and his dad dumps a carrier bad of cheap transformers on the table and call them Tau. The uncle goes mad and tries to kick him out and the police are called to remove the dad.

What has the world come to. Armorman should really be allowed to use his card tank. He is a kid after all and can't necessarily afford the pricier models and he was keen to learn to play, but it now really upset. The dad really shouldn't have come in and aggravated the GM, it really didn't help matters and this exemplifies the lack of reading in this thread. It really put the icing on the cake that the store didn't have models for learners to use. That is the shame of the situation.
You got that so wrong im gonna give you rep

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode