1750 Tourney what to play? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-11, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

LordofFenris's Flag is: USA

Default 1750 Tourney what to play?

Hey all

I'm playing in a 1750pt tournament in Jan, but I'm not sure which army to play. I have:

Guard (mix of vehicle and foot)
Blood Angels (mostly jump packs and Baal Preds)
C:SM Salamanders (Yes with Vulkan)
CSM (All Infantry)

I've never played even a regular game at this point level and I have no idea which army is more effective. If anyone has experience or suggestions on which army is better at this point level, please drop a post.

"Take a moment, please. Ponder the depths of your insignificance."

"It would be disappointing if you were unable to overcome this simplest of defenses. Hilarious, but disappointing."

Crimson Fists (C:SM)
Necrons
Khorne Daemonkin

Other
WARMAHORDES (Skorne, Blindwater Congregation, Retribution of Scyrah)
DROPZONE COMMANDER (PHR)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-11, 12:40 PM

mynameisgrax's Flag is: USA

Winning in the 1500-1850 point level usually means being able to survive the first two shooting phases without being crippled, penetrating several enemy transports a turn, and being able to win important close combats.

Transports or jump packs (or any other way of getting increased movement) are more or less a must have, otherwise you'll be shot into submission. Walking at regular speed on foot is not going to get you very far. Deep striking/infiltrating most of your army also works, if you play right.

Do your Salamanders and Chaos Marines have transports?

For IG, what vehicles do you have?

The first casualty of war is neither innocence nor truth.

The first casualty of war is always subtlety.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-11, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

LordofFenris's Flag is: USA

Chaos has 1 Rhino. (I never really finished that army)
My guard has mostly aggressive tanks. It has:

x2 Chimera
x3 Leman Russ (In 2 regular, 1 Vanquisher. These can be changed.)
Hydra
Medusa
x2 Vendetta

The Vendettas could act as transports, but I have never used them as such. They generally sit back and lay down suppressing fire on enemy transports, or if needed units of infantry.

"Take a moment, please. Ponder the depths of your insignificance."

"It would be disappointing if you were unable to overcome this simplest of defenses. Hilarious, but disappointing."

Crimson Fists (C:SM)
Necrons
Khorne Daemonkin

Other
WARMAHORDES (Skorne, Blindwater Congregation, Retribution of Scyrah)
DROPZONE COMMANDER (PHR)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-11, 04:16 PM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofFenris View Post
Chaos has 1 Rhino. (I never really finished that army)
My guard has mostly aggressive tanks. It has:

x2 Chimera more would be better, but go with what you have, try sticking a psyker battle squad in each one
x3 Leman Russ (In 2 regular, 1 Vanquisher. These can be changed.) either go for the plasma cannon variant 3 times or stick to the plain ones. The autocannon ones are good too if you dont have enough hydras
Hydracould do with more
Medusa good
x2 Vendetta yes, put a unit of veterans in each one, preferably with melta or plasma

The Vendettas could act as transports, but I have never used them as such. They generally sit back and lay down suppressing fire on enemy transports, or if needed units of infantry.
How are you on the infantry front? big blobs of guard work well, as do autocannon heavy weapon teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-11, 04:32 PM

Your IG definitely sounds like the most competitive.

McMuffin's got the right idea, although I don't like psyker squads. I'd rather have the chimeras filled with veterans with melta/plasma, or command squads w/flamers. These units also work well in Valkyries, as do special weapons teams, with flamers and demo charges.

Also, I think the all plasma leman russes draw too much fire, but it's up to you. Personally, I like the basic version with turrets of some sort, and demolishers. Auto-cannons are best left to Hydras.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-11, 05:14 PM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

I dunno, i have fount psb to be phenomenal against SW, because they hit your Long Fang unit, bringing them to ld 1, then then if someone causes 2 casualties, that unit is going to have to fall back , which cripples most SW armies (trust me, i know) I agree though, vets are equally good, especially with plasma, killing those pesky gk with ease. Thats why i love the plasma cannon russ, because they absolutely murder GK, Deathwing, SW, blood angels etc, but the turrety ones are great as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-11, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmuffin View Post
I dunno, i have fount psb to be phenomenal against SW, because they hit your Long Fang unit, bringing them to ld 1, then then if someone causes 2 casualties, that unit is going to have to fall back , which cripples most SW armies (trust me, i know) I agree though, vets are equally good, especially with plasma, killing those pesky gk with ease. Thats why i love the plasma cannon russ, because they absolutely murder GK, Deathwing, SW, blood angels etc, but the turrety ones are great as well.
Hmm...hadn't thought of that combo. Personally, I'd rather aim russ's/manticores at the longfangs and try to erase them entirely, but it's up to the user.

I think the versatility of melta/plasma squads is a better choice since he won't know who his opponents will be, but again, either can work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode