Blood Angels Death Company - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-11, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

arizonajirt's Flag is: Germany

Blood Angels Death Company

Hello,
I am not a Blood Angels player but am intrigued by the Death Company. I have a few questions for those more versed in the Blood Angels then I am. I have the codex and have read it, but these I just wanted some clarification on.

1) I know that the Death Company is a troop choice (0-1) and is a non scoring unit. but putting that aside, is it possible to build and play an entire DC army. I know if you add Asroth the Grimm the 0-1 restriction is removed.

2) DC can take standard transports (ie Rhino, razorback, drop pod and land raiders) but can they use a storm raven as a transport/heavy support

3) can fast attack/heavy support/etc be used and painted up as DC in a full DC army. I am thinking thing like land speeders, baal preditors, whirlwinds, and vindi's.

4) can DC take TDA? I dont believe they can, but thought I would ask. I think it would be pretty bad ass to see DC TDA with lightning claw(s) and/or storm bolter.

Thanks for your input in this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-11, 09:20 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonajirt View Post
Hello,
I am not a Blood Angels player but am intrigued by the Death Company. I have a few questions for those more versed in the Blood Angels then I am. I have the codex and have read it, but these I just wanted some clarification on.

1) I know that the Death Company is a troop choice (0-1) and is a non scoring unit. but putting that aside, is it possible to build and play an entire DC army. I know if you add Asroth the Grimm the 0-1 restriction is removed.

Yes it is possible but it would be expensive as hell points wise. Each DC Marine costs 20 points before upgrades or transports.

2) DC can take standard transports (ie Rhino, razorback, drop pod and land raiders) but can they use a storm raven as a transport/heavy support

Yes they can. Anything in the army can use a storm raven as a transport, it just doesn't count as a dedicated transport.

3) can fast attack/heavy support/etc be used and painted up as DC in a full DC army. I am thinking thing like land speeders, baal preditors, whirlwinds, and vindi's.

You can paint your army in what every color scheme that you want but from a fluff perspective it wouldn't make much sense. DC marines are basically crazed berzerkers, all sense of tactics and target priority is lost. Having them crew tanks and speeders would be a hella bad idea. You can paint them black but they wont have the DC rules and special abilities.

4) can DC take TDA? I dont believe they can, but thought I would ask. I think it would be pretty bad ass to see DC TDA with lightning claw(s) and/or storm bolter.

No terminator armor is not availble to the DC, though I have seen terminators painted in a DC scheme before. Again you can paint them anyway you like, but they will not have the DC special rules.

Hope this answers your questions.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-11, 09:21 PM

1) very possible, Use DC as your troops, Astorath as a hq and spam the living heck out of chaplains and death company

2)As long as its empty they can deploy in it yes.

3)Its your army, they don't get any new rules but paint them as unicorns if you want to.

4)Depends what TDA is.

My Deceiver is a shard of the true thing and yet has killed
Draigo
Lysander and countless marines

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-11, 09:25 PM
Jeep's and Harley's

OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonajirt View Post
Hello,

Yes you can

One squad per Strom Raven can be started in each Raven

They are your army and you can paint them however you wish

No Terminator Armour for the DC.

Hope this helped
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-11, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

arizonajirt's Flag is: Germany

Thank you for all of your quick replies. ya'll have answered all of my questions. I have a thing for black power armored armies (hence my 9000 pt Raven Guard). I picked up 3 boxes of DC and Lemartes for about 50% off and will start with that and see what I do. Who knows, I might end up building an entire Blood Angels Battle Company by the time this is over. I was pretty certain that TDA (terminator armor) could not be used, btu I figured I would see if I was just over looking something. Again, thanks for the imput.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-11, 04:54 AM

jaysen's Flag is: USA

I've done this. Check out my Blood Angels Chapter project log or the Army show case. I've got over 100 Death Company marines, a Death Company Rhino, a Death Company Stormraven, and 5-6 Death Company Dreadnoughts.

If you want to keep the points cost down, get a Reclusiarch, 1 Death Company over 5+, 1 DC Dreadnought, 1+ StormRavens. I've found that 5 Death Company + Chaplain + DC Dreadnought + Stormraven to transport them can really mess up an opponent's game plan. You drop these guys off in his back yard. He focuses 100% of his attention on them. Meanwhile, you capture all the objectives with scouts and run a few Baal Predators up his flank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1248.JPG (59.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DC SR.JPG (66.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by jaysen; 11-05-11 at 04:59 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-11, 06:50 AM

Man I really want to build an all DC army. I know its meta game, super win all the time but set up straight annihilation missions would be FUN!

Yeah I take pictures of hot girls. Some one has to.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-11, 10:53 AM

The mega Death Company is a fun Datasheet Formation to use in Apocalypse. That's really the only forum that makes sense for them. I've got a 6,000pt Death Company list I have fielded twice. The first time, all the dreadnoughts (8 of them) died in the first turn. Then, the 3 x 30 Death Company squads went to wrecking things and destroyed all the enemy in my zone. However, they failed to capture any objectives, even though we were playing that all units can hold objectives. They just couldn't sit still a turn and had to go rushing off towards the enemy in the next zone over.

The second game, I took hits from a Chaos Titan legion of a reaver and two warhounds, killing about half the list. Then, they all rushed forward and spent the rest of the game trying to kill the titans. I think I ended up killing the warhounds, but lost all my troops before the 4th round was over.

What I'd really like to do, is to start off with a Battle Company. Then, if I take too many casualties, they all go berzerk and I replace them with a Death Company list.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-11, 11:35 AM

Kane Errient's Flag is: England

If you want to make a Death Company themed army the Flesh Tearers would be worth looking into as they have a high proportion of battle brothers in their Death Company and are known for their savagery.

Alternatively there are also the Knights of Blood who have been excommunicated for their savagery and Blood Lust.

Also as others have suggested you could create your own chapter were the flaw has taken precedence.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-11, 07:57 AM

Yeah, you could have a special character chaplain that "saves" death company marines at the end of battles, putting them into stasis, and using them as a whole strike force. Then, at the end of the battle, he has some special ability to soothe the survivors long enough to put them into stasis. Kinda like Lemartes and Mortarion, except on a company scale.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode