Best Way to Outfit a Tyranid Prime - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-11, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Default Best Way to Outfit a Tyranid Prime

Hey everyone, recently I purchased a lictor that I am going to be converting into a Tyranid Prime to be my HQ and was wondering whats the best way to outfit them in a competitive setting? I also have 3 Tyranid Warriors which I know can accompany him but wasn't really sure what weapons to give them all to me most effective together...thanks for the responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-11, 03:45 PM

Durandal's Flag is: Cocos Islands

dual boneswords/scything talons/toxin
bonesword&lash whip/scything talons/toxin
bonesword&lash whip/deathspitter/toxin

are the set ups ill use.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-11, 03:46 PM

Bonesword and lash whip or a pair of boneswords are the best setup in my opinion.
He needs a power weapon to make use of his 4 attacks and ws6. Rending claws and scything talons aren't good enough in this respect.
I prefer the bonesword/lash whip, as he can be targeted separately in combat, due to being an independant character. It ensures that he goes before those in base-to-base that can target him, and before any enemy independant character that faces him. Two boneswords are better for independant character killing, but will have you going at I5, so its a personal preference decision.
However, lash whips are the closest you will generally get to grenades in the Tyranid army, so I prefer to field them wherever I can.
I prefer a deathspitter as second weapon, as I usually field him in a warrior brood, which will have some form of gun to make use of the unit BS4 upgrade. The warriors themselves depend on points available/army list. I either use a cheap unit with deathspitters to act as objective holders/ranged support (the threat of the prime makes them harder to dislodge from objectives), or a combat unit with boneswords/lash whips and devourers to make use of BS4.
Either way I'd recommend Regenerate on the prime as being one of the few models where it's worth the points, as it can help with wound allocation when sticking the occasional wound on the T5 prime to save a warrior from a lascannon/krak missle shot.

Last edited by Scotty80; 11-02-11 at 03:48 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-11, 04:11 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty80 View Post
Bonesword and lash whip or a pair of boneswords are the best setup in my opinion.
He needs a power weapon to make use of his 4 attacks and ws6. Rending claws and scything talons aren't good enough in this respect.
I prefer the bonesword/lash whip, as he can be targeted separately in combat, due to being an independant character. It ensures that he goes before those in base-to-base that can target him, and before any enemy independant character that faces him. Two boneswords are better for independant character killing, but will have you going at I5, so its a personal preference decision.
However, lash whips are the closest you will generally get to grenades in the Tyranid army, so I prefer to field them wherever I can.
I prefer a deathspitter as second weapon, as I usually field him in a warrior brood, which will have some form of gun to make use of the unit BS4 upgrade. The warriors themselves depend on points available/army list. I either use a cheap unit with deathspitters to act as objective holders/ranged support (the threat of the prime makes them harder to dislodge from objectives), or a combat unit with boneswords/lash whips and devourers to make use of BS4.
Either way I'd recommend Regenerate on the prime as being one of the few models where it's worth the points, as it can help with wound allocation when sticking the occasional wound on the T5 prime to save a warrior from a lascannon/krak missle shot.
This. Good piece of advice Scotty.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-11, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

From what I've read (and thanks again guys for the advice!) it seems bonesword and lashwhip are the better choice for cc weapons but if I chose to also give him a gun of some sort ( im guessing the deathspitter) would he be at a cc disadvantage? is it best to just stick to the sword/whip combo along with talons then? If I choose to do that then should the warriors also be outfitted for CC so that the unit as a whole is straight up CC or should I still give them guns? and also what is the actual benefit of dualwielding boneswords?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-11, 04:18 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

jeans and t shirt, if its a casual game , something a little smarter is its more formal

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-11, 04:30 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praevarus View Post
From what I've read (and thanks again guys for the advice!) it seems bonesword and lashwhip are the better choice for cc weapons but if I chose to also give him a gun of some sort ( im guessing the deathspitter) would he be at a cc disadvantage? is it best to just stick to the sword/whip combo along with talons then? If I choose to do that then should the warriors also be outfitted for CC so that the unit as a whole is straight up CC or should I still give them guns? and also what is the actual benefit of dualwielding boneswords?
First off the benefit of wielding dual boneswords is you opponent has to roll the LD check for instant death on 3 dice and take the highest roll. Personally if havent really found this numbers games to be worth not taking the whip on the prime. Its great on the unit of warriors he may be with, but not for him alone.

As far as having a ranged weapon it all really depends on what you want him to do and what sort of Warrior Brood you are going to stick him with. I chose to give my both of my primes a ranged weapon just because it makes them a bit more versatile. LW/BS combo still rocks if you stick him with a group of Dual bonesword and talon warriors, and he still has effectiveness if you want to stick him with a ranged warrior squad so they can take advantage of his BS.

I have three different warrior broods that I like to run depending on what I want them to do in the list.

1)Talons, Deathspitters, and one with Barbed strangler- great for holding objectives.
2) Dual Boneswords and talons- unit killers but pricey points wise.
3) Rending claws and Devs- I use these how I used to use genestealers. Outflank them with Hive Commander and have them roll into your opponents side.

A prime with LW/BS and a Deathspitter would compliment each of these groups without losing effectiveness by joining any one of them.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here

Last edited by Midge913; 11-02-11 at 04:42 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-11, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
First off the benefit of wielding dual boneswords is you opponent has to roll the LD check for instant death on 3 dice and take the highest roll. Personally if havent really found this numbers games to be worth not taking the whip on the prime. Its great on the unit of warriors he may be with, but not for him alone.

As far as having a ranged weapon it all really depends on what you want him to do and what sort of Warrior Brood you are going to stick him with. I chose to give my both of my primes a ranged weapon just because it makes them a bit more versatile. LW/BS combo still rocks if you stick him with a group of Dual bonesword and talon warriors, and he still has effectiveness if you want to stick him with a ranged warrior squad so they can take advantage of his BS.
Okay so I'm thinking I might outfit him with the sword and whip along with two talons in a group of warriors with guns and talons ...my only other question then is that I noticed there are different types of guns in the tyranid warrior box ..should I give them the basic one or the more advanced larger ones? not sure what the names are lol but im guessing the bigger ones while be more expensive point wise would be better
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-11, 05:20 PM

Further to the point about dual Boneswords I've found some mileage in using Deathleaper to lower a targets leadership. With a bit of luck you you can be forcing those 3D6 tests against LD 7 which is much more scary. That said, it starts to be a large investment of points to take down one character.
As to a gun to give them, I'd go for Deathspitters myself. If you're dishing out the guns, screw it, get the good ones.

"Oh, no tears please. It's a waste of good suffering"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-11, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by safeinacell View Post
Further to the point about dual Boneswords I've found some mileage in using Deathleaper to lower a targets leadership. With a bit of luck you you can be forcing those 3D6 tests against LD 7 which is much more scary. That said, it starts to be a large investment of points to take down one character.
As to a gun to give them, I'd go for Deathspitters myself. If you're dishing out the guns, screw it, get the good ones.
are the deathspitters the really big guns? and yea the leaper looks cool and what not but like you said its lots of points and then you have to hope it doesnt get killed in order to pull that off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode