Fortress of Redemption poll - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

View Poll Results: Do you like the FoR the way it is?
I like the DA branding of the FoR . 11 44.00%
I would have liked a more generic SM feel for the FoR. 14 56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-11, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Chimaera's Flag is: England

Quote:
I'd rather a more plain and utilitarian one, than the be-blinged-to-hell thing they brought out.
Me too!

Quote:
I still like it being DA because it IS established that fortresses and bastions and such are old and have a LOOOONG history, so I think it works fine.
I don't buy that another Chapter would use a Fortress adorned with another Chapters markings.

Quote:
It's a lively looking model but you've hit the nail on the head. It's much too Chapter specific
Exactly!

Quote:
Well if you want a generic fortress there's the imperial strongpoint. If they made another generic fortress then it would be kinda redundant.
Not really a fan of the Imperial Strongpoint. They could revamp the FoR to look more Space Marine generic.

Quote:
It's kinda why I still have my old cardboard and plastic bastion and bunker stuff from 2nd edition. Still has way more character than the chapter specific stuff.
Not seen that. You got a pic?

Quote:
I've got two of the FOR kits, because it is an awesome model. But, it really would be better if the main tower had a more imperial look to it and less of a huge DA symbol. The problem is that most of the imperial symbols are wide and short, so don't fit the shape of the tower sides. If they came up with some replacement sides with specific chapter iconography or generic ones, I think I'd buy it.
The tower is the biggest turn off for me although I will agree it is an awesome piece if your a DA fan. In a way GW have missed a trick. If they had brought out a generic FoR. They could have also released Chapter custom sprues to support it. It would have opened the FoR up to a much wider audience.

Quote:
i like the DA look, dont know why i just do.
Looking at your Avatar I am not surprised LOL.

Quote:
I built and painted one of these for a gaming club commission. As I worked, I began to see less and less of the DA aspect and it slowly started to look like a generic Angels of the Emperor fortress.

For one thing, I didn`t paint it in DA colours. Maybe that`s the solution?
I tried to convince myself it's not DA branded but the facts are plain to see. The Angels, swords & wings are 100% DA. The Angels being the biggest problem.

Quote:
I think the poll is missing that all important third option "dont care, its scenery"
Strangely enough I was thinking of this but then I thought it was a bit of a cop out as the issue is really about should it have been more generic? People who don't care because it's scenery wouldn't care either way so I came to the conclusion that option was pointless. It does maybe explain why there are so few votes to views. Can you put up two polls as I would loved to have also asked - I didn't buy the FoR because I felt it was too DA specific - I would have bought it if it was more generic. I wasn't sure of the best way to do this? I guess the two questions posed sort of give an indication but not the ideal.

I think probably one of the key issues here is has GW missed sales and narrowed the audience by making the FoR too specific? I think so but this is just me. That is why I am curious to others thoughts. I also think the FoR could have been more modular in design freeing up more design options.

"Fear us, for we are the Storm"

Space Wolves comic

http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.co...lf-sister.html

Free Space Wolves Wallpaper

http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.co...wallpaper.html

Last edited by Chimaera; 11-01-11 at 12:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-11, 03:22 PM

Weapon's Flag is: Ireland

I can't help but feel that a few people posting here have missed this line from the description: "First used by the Dark Angels of the Adeptus Astartes, these unyielding fortresses have since been used by every military force in the Imperium of Man, and have proved invaluable in the war against disorder.".

Just because it's themed specifically to a faction does not mean that other factions don't/can't use it.

I'd think of it as though the Blood Angels were borrowing the Dark Angels car for a while.

That aside, I think that the majestic angel wings suit it perfectly. Beautiful aesthetics where they don't really belong has become a part of 40K for me and I'm glad that the OP brought this model to my attention, otherwise I might not have known about it.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-11, 03:30 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

i think you may be over thinking it, its an amazing kit that can fairly easily be de-dark angeled, the death motif is fairly common in the imperium so dudes in robes with swords are not unique to the Dark angels, pretty certain the sanctum from Cities of death has similar chaps, though i grant you the dont have the wings. the dark angel silo doors on the fortress are double sided so can be flipped for an more generic feel and the shields that appear on some sections with the DA icon could be either filed off or covered over or just shoved round the back.
I think a more generic one would have been less impressive looking though i suppose it may have sold better? but DA are a very very popular chapter and that kit was a bitch to get hold of so much so i have only just taken my first order were i was allowed to purchase it since its release.

But either way i think its not worth worrying about, its a cracking bit of scenery and even with the DA icons it should make its way on to peoples tables, i have to tip my hat to GW where scenery is concerned, i grew up fashioning all my terrain and im so glad someone in GW towers decided to make this stuff, playing the game with things like the Fortress on the table really brings the game to life for people who have spent 15 years playing in and around upturned pot noodle pots and white goods polystyrene packing or if you were luck some necromunda stuff and a skull from aquarium section of the petshop.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-11, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Chimaera's Flag is: England

Quote:
"First used by the Dark Angels of the Adeptus Astartes, these unyielding fortresses have since been used by every military force in the Imperium of Man, and have proved invaluable in the war against disorder."
It may say that but it doesn't mean it is accurate. For one I cannot see the Space Wolves ever using it LOL. Has anyone got any book references mentioning this sort of thing?

Quote:
I'm glad that the OP brought this model to my attention, otherwise I might not have known about it
Always good when a positive spins out of a negative.

I hear what your saying B&K but it's horses for courses I guess. It's certainly better than polystyrene, pot noodle and pet shop parts. On the other hand it could have had more mass appeal with a more generic appearance.

"Fear us, for we are the Storm"

Space Wolves comic

http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.co...lf-sister.html

Free Space Wolves Wallpaper

http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.co...wallpaper.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode