40k who or what is responsible ? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-11, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default 40k who or what is responsible ?

Ok so 40k is the most successful wargame ever produced (yeah i said it)

So who/what is responsible and why? (i mean obviously apart from Matt Ward)

Personally i put its success firmly in the hands of Jes Goodwin, hes directly responsible for most of the amazing models in 40k and has influenced/trained many of the current sculptors and i believe that its the models that make the game as successful as it is.
Im not saying other people haven't been involved or disregarding other peoples input, im saying if i had to choose one person or thing that has made the game its the models produced by (directly or indirectly)Jes Goodwin.

And apart from anything else i figured we needed to get some threads going with some genuine debate.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-11, 04:25 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Hmm, i would put the credit more on the doorstep of the early writers. Whilst the models have always been nice it was the background that caught peoples attention and gave them a setting to use those models in. Rogue trader and second edition gave a rich background with multiple races and factions within those races that gave the gamer complete free reign.
It's the same thing that has kept dungeons and dragons going for so long, the ability to not only read about heroic adventures and battles but to be able to take part in and create your own battles.
Very few sci fi settings can claim to have the diversity of settings that 40k boasts whilst there are several other companies out there that produce models of equal or comparable quality.

I therefore lay the blame firmly on whichever wrote the background back in those olden days.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-11, 05:03 PM

Firewolf's Flag is: Scotland

>> Jes Goodwin for reasons B&K put down, and Andy Chambers. Andy was the main 40k man back when I started, and for me it was a sad day when he quit.

------------------------------------------------------
>> This is just an opinion. If you agree with it cool. If ye dont, its still cool.
>> Here I am and here shall I die.
+++ attributed to Leman Russ at the Battle of Rising Fell +++

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-11, 08:09 PM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

For 40k, I think the biggest men in the hobby were:

- Andy Chambers for the game. He's the dude who made it happen on a large scale and layed the groundwork

- The perry twins for the models. I know Jess Goodwin has been kicking ass lately when it comes to model design... but if you look at the large scale, it all points back to the perry twins imo. Mainly because they were MILES ahead of their competition when GW started out.

- Mike McVey (Often overlooked) for his painting. GW models looked as awesome as they did because McVey was miles ahead of other painters at that time and was BY FAR the most talented 'eavy metal painter they had when 40k did skyrocket (that eldar avatar he did was my personal favorite and is still my inspiration for painting up untill this day).

Oh, and Rick Priestly for WHFB, but this was 40k...
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-11, 08:21 PM

Lubacca's Flag is: USA

I'd go with the setting writers as well. I think that the rich taperstry that they put together that allows us to let our imaginations run wild is the main drive for many people. While I don't really play, the concept of coming up with battles, writing stories or painting figures in a certain scheme to match with ideas that I have is one of the biggest drawing points to 40k for me.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-11, 08:33 PM

Moonschwine's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'd also say Andy Chambers for this one.

But also I'd give a little credit to Jake Thornton who always played with decent armies in White Dwarf and at least threw in alot of interesting rules and product plays during his editing period. By the Mid-1990's "Before the Interwebs" White Dwarf was THE source of information about the game, I remember seeing a Dwarf on the front which caught my eye and made me open it. Inside I see these amazing models and battle reports and loads of information about what things did: Thats what got me into the game: though seen through nostalgia goggles I always remember them (the WD's) from that period covering all kinds of stuff and being "great" and really helping the hobby achieve it's success.

I'd also say Paul "Fatbloke" Sawyer who despite being largely scorned, was the familiar face of the White Dwarfs I used to buy as a kid. I won't ever forget the issue with his White Scars army and thinking "OMG White is so cool!".

Inspiring Quote:

"Ambition is the biggest killer of Momentum"

Active Projects:

The Catechized

Starting afresh with my Chaos Space Marines.

Project Log Link (Placeholder) -

Project Rebuild, Reboot, Recycle:

Stripping, rebuilding and remaking my Guard army.

Last edited by Moonschwine; 10-25-11 at 08:36 PM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-11, 09:02 PM

IadUmboros's Flag is: Scotland

It would be Priestley for me. The lore of the Rogue Trader book was what drew me in, and I think he's the one responsible for most of that.

xxxxxflyingsaucersdisguisedasmushroomsxxxxx
xxxxxmushroomsinvadingfromouterspacexxxxx
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-11, 10:28 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

For me, books, first dawn of war game, followed by models.

Firewarrior the novel, followed by the Farseer. Funny that I ended up playing tyranids.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-11, 10:33 PM
lange72's Flag is: USA

wow. nostalgic name dropping ...

I came to WFB from WFRP, and I purchased the old Mike McVey painting guide to help my painting fantasy. It was the 40k minis in that book that brought me to 40k, and I have a special love for his work in the painting guide and earlier WD mags (his Horus / Emperor final battle diorama was fantastic).

But all the names mentioned are / were great in the development and expansion of the game. The works of Andy Chambers (thank youa Andy for BFG) and the Perrys were very infuential for me in those early years. And yes, Paul Sawyer for his work on white dwarf. It was during his WD years that I actually bought the mags ... I don't anymore.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-11, 11:15 PM

Pssyche's Flag is: England

Let's not forget John Blanche.
His paintings and illustrations certainly helped create the visual style we all now take for granted.

Though I take your life, I promise you the stars...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode