WYSIWYG - Themed scouts - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-11, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Coldshrike's Flag is: Australia

Default WYSIWYG - Themed scouts

So the SM army I'm working on is a swamp themed one, and I'm working on my scouts at the moment.

Now, a scout comes with a Bolter and Bolt Pistol, and can swap either of these for a combat blade. What I want to do it make it look like scouts are hacking through dense jungles and the like using cane cutters/machettes, but still give them the Bolter/Pistol load out.

If I modded them so that they clearly had both bolter and pistols on them, but were using some kind of blade to chop their way through that wasn't the standard combat knife, would people accept this under WYSIWYG?

I've never seen impossible as a reason not to try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-11, 10:14 AM
Digg40k's Flag is: United Kingdom

I read this through a few times and it confused me lots lol. However I think I get it now. My problem is you're going to be representing 3 different choices on one model when in actual fact the Pistol or Boltgun must go to be able to take the knife. What is it that you actually want them to be able to use as a weapon in the game? Because whichever it is you don't want them to be using be it the Pistol or Boltgun I don't think it will be valid in a strict tournament setting. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it's written down in your list somewhere what their actual equipment is.

Edit: My answer might actually be more confusing than your question... Sorry lol.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-11, 10:18 AM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

how about setting a few of the squad up so they are hacking through the undergrowth with the rest with bolt pistols and bolters behind providing cover? That way if you cannot use the machette guys due to WYSIWYG move them to the back of the squad and remove those models first?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-11, 10:21 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Yes in a strict tournament you could have problems WYSIWYG. I cant see a way around it.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-11, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Digg40k, that's exactly what I was trying to say, yes. What I want to use it the boltgun and pistol, since a knife is only worse than a pistol in every way, but still depict them cutting their way through the shrub. Maybe Ratvan has the best idea - I'll make a couple of squads like this, but make sure there's at least 1 full squad of men who have the legal load out.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-11, 10:39 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Actually just a member or 2 of the squad cutting the cover down would work well as longthe rest of the squad is clearly carrying a pistol and bolter.

I do like the whole idea of this squad though. and makes me think of predator.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-11, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
Actually just a member or 2 of the squad cutting the cover down would work well as longthe rest of the squad is clearly carrying a pistol and bolter.

I do like the whole idea of this squad though. and makes me think of predator.
"Following rumers of a Tau incursion, a captain sends a squad of his finest scouts to track down the XV25. Little do they know, they're the ones being hunted..."

I guess a more pertanant question is, if I have 2 or 3 of them bush whacking with something that isn't the combat knife, are people still likely to claim it's a CC weapon and WYSIWYG me anyway?

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-11, 10:51 AM
Digg40k's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshrike View Post
"Following rumers of a Tau incursion, a captain sends a squad of his finest scouts to track down the XV25. Little do they know, they're the ones being hunted..."

I guess a more pertanant question is, if I have 2 or 3 of them bush whacking with something that isn't the combat knife, are people still likely to claim it's a CC weapon and WYSIWYG me anyway?
I would say that in a tournament setting under WYSIWYG then people are still going to question it regardless of if there are 2 or all of the Scouts modelled that way. I just don't see a way you can get around it because of the way the options are written in the dex. Sorry mate.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-11, 10:58 AM

Farseer Darvaleth's Flag is: Great Britain

How about this solution:

Model the knives onto the end of the Bolters like bayonets, whilst making them suitably machete-like? Similar to the Lancers in Gears of War, basically.

Give a man a match, and he's warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life!

Cato Marquand
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-11, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

I am planning on getting some of these for my Sterngaurds, but that doesn't really suit the image I'm going for with the scouts. I'll have to work something out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode