Iím back, bitches! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Forum Announcements Important information can be found here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default Iím back, bitches!

Two years to the day since my last public forum post, here I am once more.
In the interests of time saving and self-aggrandizement i will do this as a hyothetical Q&A session between myself, and a much dumber version of myself. Ready?

Durr?

Ok, not that much dumber. Weíll tweak it as we go.

Who the fuck are you?

The Great and Powerful Galahad. Self-proclaimed rules-wizard, conversion-king and emperor penguin. Strike that last one. I was deposed. Long story, traitorous puffins were involved...just move along.

Why the fuck should I care?

You probably shouldnít, unless you actually remember me, in which case you should because I was awesome.

If youíre so awesome, whyíd you leave us?

Well, hereís the thing...Iím unreliable, easily bored, and lazy as fuck. In fact, my application for modhood (back when Jez was first looking for some help with the site) said pretty much that I was starting to get bored, hadnít been posting much and maybe being a mod would keep me interested enough to stick around for a while. No, seriously, that was it. Not ďI know all the rules and can bring my own modding hat,Ē or ďIím super good with people and never go mad with power.Ē Because thatís a lie. Nope, ďIím bored. If you want to keep me, give me power.Ē And Jez actually did it!

It mustíve seemed like a good idea at the time, and it worked too. I stuck around for a couple years, working my way up the ladder until before I knew it I was the Right Hand of Jez...then suddenly that whole spider-man thing happened and all of a sudden all the responsibility caught up with the power. I found myself staring at projects that were languishing (Is that interactive glossary still a thing? I really hope some poor fool took on the job of updating it, because jesus it was a huge job!), getting bored with the parts that used to be fun, and watching a hobby evolve into a job.

The more work I did, the less work I wanted to do. The less work I wanted to do, the less work I eventually ended up doing. The less work I ended up doing the more guilty I felt about not doing it. The more guilty I felt, the less I showed up on the site. The less I showed up, the less I felt like a part of Heresy and evnetually felt like there was no reason to be here. Eventually Iíd been gone long enough that it felt like showing up again out of the blue would be weird and awkward, especially if thereís all that unfinished shit to go back to...

I think though, the biggest contributor to my eventual loss of connection with Heresy was my real job. I was suddenly working for a new company in a new position with longer hours, more responsibility and way more stress. Worst of all, I went from working graves to working mainly days...suddenly I wasnít living my life in the GMT time-zone, I was back on Pacific Time and 8 hours removed from people like Jezlad.

Despite hardly talking to him in the last two years, I consider Jez one of my best mates. Heís a good guy with a good sense of humor and the times I spent chatting with him on MSN messenger were some of the best spent hours of my life. Suddenly we donít talk anymore because I have to go to bed when heís getting up (and because the bastard got addicted to Facebook and stopped using MSN!), my main connection to Heresy was disconnected. I didnít have his energy to get me psyched up about whatever new thing is coming down the pipe from GW, or some new forum gadget or whatever, didnít have him to gossip with or keep my head in the game. Combine that with all the hassle of the new job and suddenly my energy for the site was gone.

So, why the fuck did you come back?

Is Ďbored againí a proper answer? Honestly, Iím not sure how back I am just yet. Iíve been hanging out on an owners forum for a car I just got and thatís stirred up the old OCD new post checking part of my brain, got me remembering what it was like here, how cool everyone is, how much I looked forward to seeing what certain people had to say. I missed everyone, I missed the way my eyes ached after switching to a white page after reading the old red white and black for hours

Howís it feel being back after all this time?

What, you ran out of Ďfucksí? Iíll give you one: Fucking intimidating! When I left, 1200 rep was top of the heap, 7000 posts was impressive, everyone knew and either loved or quaked in terror at my presence, now thereís people I havenít even heard of swamping my old stats, running forums, even adminning. Iím glad to see Heresyís been going strong without me though. (But not without my money, that auto-subscribe has been ticking away this whole time...Thatís $30 without me posting once in the last couple years! I consider it well-spent though, honestly). Oh, and whatís this about a new fucking edition? Well, shit there goes all that lovely rules knowledge I used to contribute.

Weíll see what happens in the days and weeks to come as to what, if anything Iíll be bringing to the forum. I donít feel right about stepping back in like nothing happened. Things have changed a lot and I still donít have the level of time and energy I once had for either the hobby or the discussion thereof.

But for now...here I am.
Ask me anything.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 06:09 AM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Welcome back Galahad! Great to see you make a return and hopefully you'll stick around, you have been missed.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 06:27 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Welcome back Gal. You, Jez and Viscount Vash were the reason I hung around the site when I first found it. A lot has been happening on the site for the last 2 years, but things are not so different from when you were here last, other than this 6th edition thing. On the plus side, its only just come out so you will be at the same point as all the rest of us mere rule mortals.

Oh and now your back I think its time for me to have a change of avatar.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 06:39 AM

Zodd's Flag is: Denmark

The Lost Knight have returned . Welcome back Galahad .
And You are right, the 6th is just around the corner, with a lot of tweaks.

Have You Hugged Your Dread Today ?
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 06:40 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

Oh fuck.

But welcome back you nut case :D
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 06:54 AM

Bogg's Flag is: Norway

welcome back Galahad, i remember you well!

Orks - Salamanders - IG -Tau - Necron - Csm - Nids - Dark Eldar
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 06:57 AM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

If only I'd had time to prepare a proper reception...

Welcome back!

Strange, but not a Stranger.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 07:01 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Welcome back Galahad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 07:03 AM
Feed

My gods...

It felt as though I was barely a new member when you left... wait, I was.

But it's great you have returned!

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 07:16 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

I realise it's been a long time since you were last an active member, but TWO YEARS? Jeeze, it doesn't seem that long by half. Welcome back mate

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Welcome to Heresy-Online > Forum Announcements

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode