Ion cannons? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Fantasy Flight Games Covering 'Star Wars: X-Wing', 'Star Wars: Armada', Warhammer 40,000: Conquest' etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-15, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Default Ion cannons?

I'm using them tomorrow for the first time, and am a bit confused by the wording. My old drill instructor always said there was no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid recruit, so...

If you hit with all three attacks, does the target receive damage for each hit, or just the one damage however many hits it takes?

Also, what does it mean by "then cancel all dice results"? What dice results?

Thank you for your answers, and patience, in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (723.4 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-15, 11:36 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

If you are left with any hits or crits after the defender has canceled out what they can, this means your attack has hit. Since it's hit the defender takes one damage one ion token. 'Cancel all dice results' just means that you don't carry out the damage shown on the dice, you only play out the damage written on the card.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-15, 12:54 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

As ntaw says.

Example 1: You shoot someone with an Ion cannon, and get Hit, Hit, Crit. The Defender rolls 2 Evades, and would normally suffer a critical hit. Instead, they suffer 1 normal damage, receive 1 Ion token, and the Crit is cancelled and has no effect.

Example 2: You shoot, and get the same results as above, but the Defender gets 3 Evades and thus the shot misses. No damage dealt, and no Ion token received.

Example 3: You shoot, and get Hit, Hit, Miss. You have Greedo as a crew upgrade (the first damage dealt each turn is dealt face up). The Defender gets 1 Evade, so is hit by the attack. They receive the Ion token, and would normally take 1 damage. However if they are unlucky enough to not have Shields, this will be Critical Damage rather than a face down damage card, because Greedo doesn't rely on what you roll on the dice, only that you deal at least 1 damage. A nice little combo!

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-15, 03:01 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Greedo! I feel like you could use Rexler Brath's (TIE Defender pilot) ability to turn the card up as well.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-15, 08:06 AM

Greedo and an Ion Cannon are easily the best 4pts I've spent on Boba Fett. Nothing quite like Ion causing a Stress Crit, followed by 4 dice with rerolls in the rear arc and a prox mine when you blow past the actionless, ionized sucker next turn...

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-15, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

But if I get hit, hit, miss, and he doesn't cancel either hit, does he take two damage, or just the one for being hit?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-15, 09:02 AM

Just the one. Ion and Flechette weapons can only ever cause a single, non-critical damage, regardless of how many hits you roll.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-15, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Just the one. Ion and Flechette weapons can only ever cause a single, non-critical damage, regardless of how many hits you roll.
Excellent. Let the games begin!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (865.5 KB, 3 views)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-15, 12:23 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Yup, Ion is only one damage whatever the number of hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-15, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Thanks for the help chaps.

So, game played, and the Imperial oppressors were crushed by the plucky Rebel pilots. The ion cannons on the Y and B proved very handy (loving the turret in the Y wing), limiting the front runners in his Tie squadron for a couple of turns while the two speed demons powered up the flank, proving a distraction for the shuttle. The E Wing ended up k turning into the middle of his squadron, blocking a few moves for him.

While the fast ships did their job and took it for the team, the Y and B wings did most of the damage, killing the ties which included Howlrunner. I actually ignored the shuttle until the last turn, but my opponent kindly kept dealing himself two damage with Darth Vader's ability to boost the shuttle's hits by causing damage to his own ship. All in all a great game, and I've grown to like the game even more.

Also, @Tawa , just realised this wasn't posted in the Fantasy Flight forum. Can you move it over there? Cheers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems > Fantasy Flight Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode