"Math Hammer" for X-wing - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Fantasy Flight Games Covering 'Star Wars: X-Wing', 'Star Wars: Armada', Warhammer 40,000: Conquest' etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-15, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Default "Math Hammer" for X-wing

Hey guys,

So instead of doing homework I decided to work on this little "gem". So far I only have the "Small" ships in the file, since they I feel are a little easier to manage.

Its an excel file that I created to see how "Balanced" the game is, Since I was trying to figure out why certain ships (here it is TIE Advances, and before Rebel Aces A-Wings too) do not get played by the masses.

And since this is a 40k friendly area where we all know about "Math Hammer", however justifiable it is to use on an unbalanced game such as 40k, I figured that I would give it a try on X-wing.

In short this is the math That I used for THESE Numbers...

All Pilot Skill, Attack, and Evade values are equal in points as to their value.

Hull values are equal to 3 points per hull (Modification card to increase Hull is 3 points)

Shield Values are equal to 4 points per shield (Modification card to increase Shield is 4 points)

Ships "Ability" is debatable, since how I found this number is to take the highest "normal" pilot and add 1 point per Pilot Skill increase to come to the same PS as the named character. So often times Pilots do NOT have a point value for these upgrades, or at most only 1 point. Some ships get more, for instance Major Rhymer's (PS 7 TIE Bomber) ability is basically worth 5 points, while Tetran Cowall's ability is worth 0.

In short for the Empire there are 3 ships that give you a "bonus" for taking them, TIE Fighters, and TIE Bombers are sorta expected to be in those slots, but the fact that TIE Advances actually "GIVE AWAY" free points is rather shocking for me to find, since there are practically NEVER fielded, and most people who I know have them, only play them rarely since Interceptors out perform them by far on the table, despite the fact that the Interceptors actually cost the player points to use. Royal Guard are the best ships to use with this knowledge, although I feel that most people are still willing to make use of the other pilots.

----

On the flip side the Rebels almost universally make gains with their ships, with ONLY the E-Wing effectively costing the player points. A-Wings, without Chardaan refit, actually put you ahead on points yet the ships often feel too expensive/not useful enough whenever given a missile which is often weird when the ships are designed to basically give the player a free 3 point missile (proton rockets anyone?)

----

In general I think Fantasy Flights actual "model" is not too far off from my own, perhaps granting the 1st PS, Attack, Evade, and Hull for free and only charging full price (or whatever value that they wish) for the rest.

Please Discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

Last edited by Fallen; 01-29-16 at 09:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-15, 08:06 AM
Warlord of Vermin

TechPr1est's Flag is: Australia

nice work, personally i dont really understand the whole points thing, i never used the original math hammer, but nice work

i dont really play much x-wing because the only opponent i have is my brother and he gets bored by it and gets irritated when his ships collide with mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bruva Alfabusa
"My first model had so many layers of paint, that an excavation team could probably find fossils in it".
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-15, 03:04 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

I've been pondering this, and I think you're very close to being spot on with your allocation of points. Something I just noticed with Interceptor pilots, Boost, and 1 point per stat-line point:

Academy Pilot TIE Fighter: 12 points, 2 attacks
Alpha Squad Pilot Tie Interceptor: 18 points, 3 attacks, Boost added to action bar

Both: Identical maneuver dials and stat lines with the exception of different K-Turns (the Interceptor can do 3/5-move ones and the TIE can do 3/4-move ones) and that one extra Attack.

Given that you aren't taking maneuver dials into play (and they are almost identical with the exception of K-Turns), that's a 6 point difference and the Engine Upgrade card that adds Boost to your bar is only 4 points which leaves a 2 point difference for that single extra attack. To me, this either shows your points worth value to potentially be undervaluing stat-line points or upgrade cards. What do you think?

Not that I'm trying to belittle your work here my friend, just trying to build on it. It took me since you posted this to even find this small of a thing, and you've done a great job. Any ideas for including the Large ships in this? The Decimator might throw a lot of this points value stuff out the window with its 12 Hull Points. There might be a different assigned value to certain attributes for Large ships vs. single pilot fighters.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 03-15-15 at 03:07 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-15, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Lost my old post, so here is the TL;DR version.

The Flight path and the Action Bar I always assumed is what differentiated the actual ships, otherwise each ship would be practically the same. I trust that the "Tank", "Wizard", "Bard", and "Paladin" are all by default different in their abilities, or lack thereof, is of any difference in base point cost (each start at zero) for games such as X-Wing or for 40k.

Quote:
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-15, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Default Update

Hey guys, for any of you all who have been interested in my creation earlier I have updated it with Scum, as well as the large ships.

If anyone has questions about anything feel free to ask me.

Quote:

Last edited by Fallen; 01-29-16 at 09:34 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems > Fantasy Flight Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode