Why should you play X-Wing? Ask questions if you want! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Fantasy Flight Games Covering 'Star Wars: X-Wing', 'Star Wars: Armada', Warhammer 40,000: Conquest' etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-15, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Why should you play X-Wing? Ask questions if you want!

So, X-Wing. Why should you pick it up?

Below are a few reasons, and I'll also include a couple of reasons why you *wouldn't* want to play it, just for the sake of balance.

The Initial Financial Investment Is Tiny

Starter set: 23
Rebel Aces: 22
Imperial Aces: 20

65 will give you enough ships and mods to play 100pt games (the standard game size) with all dice, rulers, asteroids etc. That's Rebels and Imperials by the way - two different armies, so you can swap sides with your opponent after each game and try out different ships with different playstyles. Eventually you'll get antsy for more fighters, and you get each one for 10-12 with large ships (of which there are only 6 available) for 20-30. If you wanted one of every expansion for a given faction then it'd only set you back 150 or so. That's every single available unit.

No Modelling Required (But You Can If You Want)

Pre-painted to an amazing standard, straight out of the box. No glue, no paint, no drilling or filing, washing or cutting. If you do want to paint em, they're just as easy to paint as Warhammer models. Undercoat, basecoat, wash, drybrush, highlight, detail. Each ship is small and most have no hard-to-reach places, you can get a brush in almost everywhere on them. Because they're single piece lightweight resin, they're pretty much indestructible and can be dropped, knocked, or flipped with minimal damage. A few people magnetise their models onto their bases, or convert them in one way or another, but you certainly don't have to.

The Rules Are Very Simple To Pick Up, And Extremely Tight

As a long term 40k player I've drifted away from it in the last two years simply due to the sheer inadequacy of the rules we're being supplied with. Forgeworld varies from completely unplayable to stupidly overpowered, supplements and dataslates just break the game, and flyers and superheavies making their entrance to regular games is my signal to get out. There's just no way to competitively play without pages of houserules restricting the more retarded units. You basically have to verbally agree with your opponent, even in casual settings, to not be a dick when writing your lists. There are so many internet-only, WD-only, extra-codex options you potentially need inches of books to play. I can't be bothered with it any more.

X-Wing, you can sit down opposite a complete stranger, and no matter what they pull out of their case, you can be assured you've got a chance to beat it fair and square, and vice versa. The rules and FAQ total about 40 pages, most of it pictures of cards and diagrams of simple examples. After about 15 minutes of playing, you'll fully understand every core mechanic. After your first game you'll have a handle on how to improve your play with the ships you used and will do better next time. After a few games against different lists and players you'll have seen most of the available cards. Reading the rulebook will answer pretty much any question you might have. Games take roughly one hour, allowing you to get 3+ games in per evening, instead of one.

The Entire Range Will Fit In Roughly A 12" Cube

Sick of carting giant heavy cases about, getting stuck in doors, catching it on public transport, banging your knees, and making it impossible to walk any kind of distance? Forget it. I fit my entire collection in a single GW carry case, excluding Epic ships (the *really* big ones). That's to the tune of 1800pts in a single case (so effectively 18 full size armies). That includes rules, cards, tokens et al. Often I can't fit a single 1800pt army into a standard size case with 40k.

The Community Is Great

When was the last time a Warhammer player gave you a set of dice or templates for free, gratis and for nothing? Or gave you a couple of limited edition accessories, asking nothing in return? Both happened to me within my first week of starting up this game, and I've since done it for other people because I honestly wanted to follow their example and pass the love onwards. If you have a question then there are loads of people who'll answer it quickly and in an honestly friendly manner. I've yet to meet a player I found personally objectionable (wish I could say the same for GW systems...) or that I've had anything other than absolutely amicable contact with. The whole atmosphere surrounding the game is so much more relaxed than a lot of other systems, even at events. Of course you'll get *some* whiners, but I've yet to see them anywhere except on the internet.

So, true to my word, here are some downers:

Limited Competitive Options

There are three main archetypes of list: Swarm, Large Turreted Ship and Phantom. In order to succeed at championships you essentially have to run some variation of one of those choices. Rebels don't have access to Phantoms, but compensate by having a better Large ship, and both sides can run effective Swarms. Of course this only matters if you want to go to tournaments; if you're just planning on playing at the club/friends level then you can play whatever the hell you like and it'll win games if you practice enough!

Limited Customization

If the reason you play tabletop games is for the modelling/painting side of things rather than the game itself, X-Wing won't really be your thing. You can do some amazing repaints of the models, but ultimately you can't really convert anything substantially, and you'll get bored eventually. Better to play a system with multi-part figures.

Not Much Attraction To Non-SW Fans

One aspect of the two main GW systems that I like is that they're open to anyone even vaguely interested in Fantasy or Sci-Fi, you don't have to appreciate a pre-existing Canon. X-Wing, on the other hand, really wants you to be on board with loving Star Wars - you simply get more enjoyment out of the game. If you prefer Star Trek or Fantasy then two flavours of Attack Wing are available - one is essentially an inferior (in my completely biased opinion, despite loving Trek as well) X-Wing clone run with Star Trek ships and the other being a D&D based system with Dragons and whathaveyou. If you wouldn't describe yourself as really *feeling* something when you watch the original Star Wars trilogy then I imagine you potentially might engage less with the game, although of course I could be wrong.

If you have any questions, please feel totally free to post here and I (and the other lovely Heresy X-Wing players!) will try to answer to the best of our ability.

Take it easy, and... fly casual.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-15, 09:39 AM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Excellent post mate, have a cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-15, 06:10 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

Does each faction have a defining playstyle or are tactics based on the individual ships that are purchased? For example I like my armies to have movement tricks and lots of manouverability on the board is a particular faction stronger then the other at this?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-15, 06:52 PM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratvan View Post
Does each faction have a defining playstyle or are tactics based on the individual ships that are purchased? For example I like my armies to have movement tricks and lots of manouverability on the board is a particular faction stronger then the other at this?
It really depends on what you fill your army with,
you can modify everything to a degree.
Imperials are generally weak and cheaper and rebels a bit pricier but generally hardier
- tie interceptors and A wings are the primarily fast and manoeuvrable ships on either side........

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-15, 09:27 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
A wings are the primarily fast and manoeuvrable ships on either side........
Nippy, buzzy little twats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-15, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratvan View Post
Imperials have access to the two single most maneuverable ships in the game - the TIE Phantom and TIE Interceptor. The Rebel A-Wing comes close to the Interceptor (the A-Wing has slightly better movement dial but no Barrel Roll) but nothing matches a Phantom. Imperials also get the TIE Defender, which has limited turns, but is the only ship in the game that can perform a 180 degree flip without negative consequences.

Each faction has ships that are capable of filling all the various roles, but *generally* you'd probably get on better with Imperials than Rebels if movement tricks are your thing. However it's perfectly viable to run a tricksey Rebel list with A-Wings and the Outrider.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-15, 06:49 PM

Logaan's Flag is: England

Following on from Sethis's comments about Imperial ships, I have been an Empire player for a year now and thought I would give a simple breakdown on the TIE Imperial arsenal.

TIE Fighter

The classic Imperial starfighter. Whether flying in swarms of 7-8, being used to run the channels and deny actions, or using named pilots to support other squad builds, the TIE fighter is the archetypal Empire ship. As a single ship, it doesn't pack that much of a punch, but put it in a swarm and that's a lot or red dice being thrown especially at range one. Death by a thousand laser shots. It is also very nimble, has three evade dice and can take evade actions. At long range they are very difficult to take down. And should you take one down, there is still usually six or seven remaining to take you down in a hail of concentrated laser fire. The classic Imperial list.

Point wise, the TIE Fighter is great for point economy with the Academy Pilot at 12 points through to Howlrunner at 18 points. The 'all star pilots' also have some great abilities for very little points. Dark Curse at 16 points is a great example. Spend three points to stick a Stealth Device on him and he is there for the duration, Howlrunner loves the swarm and Mauler Mithell and Backstabber like violence.

TIE Interceptor.

Quite possibly the sexiest looking startfighter in the whole game. Good attack, good defence and access to Soontir Fel. Result. Flown very differently to the TIE Fighter, the Interceptor excels at escaping the fire arcs of opposing starfighters, using barrel roll and boost actions to get the optimum shot then using its excellent movement dial to zip out again. These are flankers, experts in ambush and attacking from outside of opposing starfighters firing arcs. For 18 points you get a basic Alpha Squadron pilot all the way up to Mr Fel, one of the MVP's of X Wing. Outside of Fel, you also have access to other named pilots like Turr Phennir, Carnor Jax and Kir Kanos, again all with great abilities.

Flying Interceptors is a challenge, the speed, manoeuvres and weaknesses need to be learned. They are very susceptible to turrets that can fire in a 360 fire arc and massed fire but fly them well and they are brutally efficient.

TIE Advanced.

Get to play as Darth Vader. Epic. The TIE Advanced boasts good defence with shields. Lacks the sharp one turn manoeuvres of the Fighter and Interceptor but is certainly no slouch when it comes to moving. Defensively it has three evade dice, two shields and can take Evade actions so again, very difficult to take down.The Advanced can also take missiles as an upgrade and has the ability to Target Lock as an action. Darth Vader comes with the TIE Advanced and can be great as a defensive addition with pilot upgrades like Squad Leader or offensively with Expose. Point wise will have you thinking. 21 basic with a pilot skill of 2 versus more Academy Pilot TIE Fighters. Your move.

TIE Bomber

A flying weapons platform with access to masses of heavy ordnance. Not as manoeuvrable as its TIE Fighter cousin, the Bombers main role is firing missiles and torpedoes for a blistering opening strike. Its lack of agility is offset against its huge six hull points. Some effective named pilots in Captain Jonus and Major Rhymer both packing secondary weapon abilities. Again, you will need to give careful consideration when it comes to the points you'll be forking out.

TIE Defender.

Now we are getting to the big point big hitters. 30 points basic and with one and two sharp turns on the movement dial being red manoeuvres so incurring a stress token, it lacks the agility of the Fighter and Interceptor. So what bang do you get for your buck? How does the ability to equip a cannon as a secondary weapon and perform 18 degree white K Turns grab you champ? The Defender also has good offensive and defensive stats with three hull and three shield. The ability to perform an action after K Turning is the biggy here, moreso when combined with a Heavy Laser Cannon. This ability is also cranked up in the nasty stakes when you take named pilots Rexlar Brath and Colonel Vessery. Another Imperial ship that needs to be flown correctly but is uber horrible when done so.

TIE Phantom.

I love this ship. Let me say that again. I love this ship. Lets get the negatives out of the way - uncloaked and being shot at, its probably going to die and you will cry as over 45% of your list is blatted away. However, stick an upgrade like an Advanced Cloaking Device on it and you have a thing of breathtaking beauty and supreme nastiness. The Phantom has four attack dice basic. FOUR DICE. Stick a Fire Control System on it as another upgrade and that's four/five dice with a Target Lock action. Combined with an ability to dodge out of enemy ships firing arcs with impunity with its movement dial and decloaking ability, the Phantom can be extremely lethal and has the ability to destroy a lot of enemy starfighters with just one shot. Named pilots like Echo and Whisper are pricey but just add to how dangerous the Phantom can be.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

Last edited by Logaan; 02-10-15 at 07:46 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-15, 09:46 PM