X-Wing 100pt Rebel List - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Fantasy Flight Games Covering 'Star Wars: X-Wing', 'Star Wars: Armada', Warhammer 40,000: Conquest' etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-15, 10:09 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Unfortunately Ordnance tends to be target-specific, which is another reason (apart from reliability and expense) that it's not taken. You might be playing against Phantoms one game (who hate stress) and against Keyan (who loves it) or Tycho (who doesn't give a crap) the next. IPMs are gold against something like the Decimator, but rubbish vs TIE swarms. It's a bit of a shame you're having to fill your list points with them, but hey ho!

Here's one that involves no Ordnance, I've tried my best to stick to cards you own:

Wedge Antilles (29)
Marksmanship (3)
R2-D2 (4)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R2-F2 (3)
Stealth Device (3)

Airen Cracken (19)
Squad Leader (2)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Basically Biggs keeps Cracken and Wedge alive, while Cracken allows Biggs and Wedge to use their upgrade abilities as well as Focus/Target Locks, and you've got R2D2 for when Biggs finally bites the dust as Wedge is the next highest priority target. It basically depends entirely on how good you are at rolling 4 Green dice with a Focus token up

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-15, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Even vs. the Decimator I found weight of fire to be much more important than the Ion drift that I love to much, mostly due to the 360 degree firing arc of large ships. I edited my post as you posted, have any new thoughts after seeing the list? I'm digging that list option by the way.

Also, total card owning relaxation. If I can't print them off I'm going to just write them down for reference in-game. Just out of curiosity, does this game always have to be Rebel v. Imperial (with Scum thrown in) or can the same faction face itself (for Imperial v. Imperial games)?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-15, 04:39 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

in general for 1v1s (outside of tournament setting) it tends to stay thematic and be Rebels vs Empire, however in a tournament anything can fight anything - RvR and EvE is a common experience.

Edit:

From @Sethis in the post just earlier

Quote:
Wedge Antilles (29)
Marksmanship (3)
R2-D2 (4)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R2-F2 (3)
Stealth Device (3)

Airen Cracken (19)
Squad Leader (2)

My view on the list would be to drop Airen to a Tala Sqd pilot, and upgrade Bandit to Tala Sqd. proceed to load with missiles of choice* (I have Cluster Missiles and Proton Rockets in my example list)

I do not like stealth devices (unless you have it on an a-wing or the like that SHOULDN'T be focus fired upon) since if you get hit once you just lost 3 points, and more often than not it is the first volley against the ship that it suffers a hit with me whenever I take it - yay Murphey's Law.

R2-F2 is the same for me as well, since he uses up your action - so no target locking (which I find more valuable for X-wings) or whatever.

For X-wings in general I think R2-D6 (Grants a Medal slot) is great on X-wings (too bad you can only have him once...), and I also notice that you ALWAYS include Wedge and some other named character.

----
From @ntaw from the page before, the edit...

Quote:
Wedge Antilles - R5P9
Garvin Dries - R2D2
Bandit Sq. Pilot - Assault Missiles, Munitions Failsafe
I actually like this list, in fact I think it *MIGHT* be better to drop a Z-95, make the other a Tala sqd pilot (or Blount), give Wedge & Garvin a shield upgrade and/or some torpedoes/upgrades (Push the limit/marksmanship/deadeye/swarm tactics/etc)

----

With the ships that you currently have I would try running a list without anyone special (I have provided a list), and pending on how you play i suggest flying in formation (so everyone makes the same movements, or similar ones, compared to how I run my Tie swarm which is "bee-hive" like).

Rebels flying in formation can be a scary thing for most imperial lists to deal with.

Red Squadron Pilot — X-Wing 23
Proton Torpedoes 4
R5 Astromech 1
Shield Upgrade 4

Proton Torpedoes 4
R5 Astromech 1
Shield Upgrade 4

Tala Squadron Pilot — Z-95 Headhunter 13
Assault Missiles 5

Assault Missiles 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

Last edited by Fallen; 02-02-15 at 05:01 AM.

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-15, 08:24 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Just out of curiosity, does this game always have to be Rebel v. Imperial (with Scum thrown in) or can the same faction face itself (for Imperial v. Imperial games)?
It can, but it tends to be a less interesting game, to a certain extent, because they're designed to play off each others strengths and weaknesses. For example because Rebels depend on shields instead of green dice, an Empire vs Empire game tends to result in lots of dice being thrown to little effect (because TIE's natively only have 2 red dice but 3 green, which averages out to 0 dmg when rolled against itself, ditto Squints with Stealth Devices) whereas Rebel matchups tend to be a simple matter of who brought the most red dice, and if they can apply it in a focused manner, because Rebels are often only throwing 1-2 green dice vs 3-4 red ones.

Hence why Imps vs Rebels tends to be a better game, as they have different, but complementary styles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
My view on the list would be to drop Airen to a Tala Sqd pilot, and upgrade Bandit to Tala Sqd. proceed to load with missiles of choice* (I have Cluster Missiles and Proton Rockets in my example list)
If you drop Airen then the entire list falls apart - the whole concept is that he's allowing Biggs and Wedge to take two actions per turn - Marksmanship and Target Lock/Focus on Wedge and R2-F2 and Focus on Biggs.

I'm not a huge fan of Talas unless I actually have the points spare in the list - the difference between PS2 and 4 is fairly negligible unless you're doing Reb vs Reb, in order to edge out those opposing Blue Squads, A-Wings, Rookies and so on. The Empire tends to be PS1 or PS6+ in their lists.

Quote:
I also notice that you ALWAYS include Wedge and some other named character.
Because Rookies aren't really very cost-efficient, unfortunately. They're not as overcosted as the E-Wing ones, but the named X's are certainly a better buy.

Quote:
Proton Torpedoes 4
R5 Astromech 1
Shield Upgrade 4

Proton Torpedoes 4
R5 Astromech 1
Shield Upgrade 4

Assault Missiles 5

Assault Missiles 5
In this case I'd certainly drop the Talas down to Bandits in order to buy Failsafes. 5pts is too many to miss with.

Quote:
Wedge Antilles - R5P9
Garvin Dries - R2D2
I'd drop a missile/failsafe for Hull upgrades on Wedge and Garvin, they're going to be targets 1 and 2 respectively, and Wedge doesn't have anything that directly increases his ability to take damage, only to recover from it. Hell, I'd drop the other missiles for some Pilot skills too, but I know your main opponent is running TIEs in formation so I guess it's not too out of line to design something with that in mind...

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.

Last edited by Sethis; 02-02-15 at 08:33 AM.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-15, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Wedge Antilles (29)
Marksmanship (3)
R2-D2 (4)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R2-F2 (3)
Stealth Device (3)

Airen Cracken (19)
Squad Leader (2)

Something I have noticed is that against Interceptors I don't often have time to use green maneuvers to benefit from R2D2's ability. It's awesome to get shields back when I de-stress, but I really didn't seem to have time for shield regeneration when that wasn't the case. I'm liking Cracken though, haven't really given him much thought, and sacrificing Biggs to keep Wedge firing more often might just be crucial. I mean, I'm gunna lose my X's. May as well try to control the downfall

Quote:
I actually like this list, in fact I think it *MIGHT* be better to drop a Z-95, make the other a Tala sqd pilot (or Blount), give Wedge & Garvin a shield upgrade and/or some torpedoes/upgrades (Push the limit/marksmanship/deadeye/swarm tactics/etc)
Thanks, your advice has been crucial in its creation! I initially posted a three man list before and even played it but really found that I could have used the other ship (hence me buying one like 3 seconds after saying I didn't want to buy a new ship ). What do you think of this idea:

X-Wing: Wedge Antilles - R5P9, Shield Upgrade, Marksmanship
X-Wing: Garvin Dries - R5 Astromech, Ion Torpedoes, Shield Upgrade
Z-95: Airen Cracken - Assault Missiles, Munitions Failsafe

100 points

Or I could replace Cracken with Z-95: Blount - Deadeye, Assault Missiles, though as much as I like auto-inducing the effects of the missiles with Blount (and Initiative potentially at 98 points) I think I like Cracken for handing out actions.

Quote:
Proton Torpedoes 4
R5 Astromech 1
Shield Upgrade 4

Proton Torpedoes 4
R5 Astromech 1
Shield Upgrade 4

Assault Missiles 5

Assault Missiles 5
I know shields are better than hull points because you ignore any kind of damage, but would it be worth it to drop the Shield Upgrades to Hull Modifications in order to add Munitions Failsafes to the Z's? As Sethis pointed out, that's a lot of points to miss with.

@Sethis I like the idea of being able to run bare bones ships like the Z's without upgrades, but I think my flying skills have to improve before a tactic like that works. I'm still getting used to the turn templates and formations have been...a little too tight, shall we say, for the last little while. As for what I'll be facing off against with this list, here's a general sweep of the Imperial ships/lists in my (and my girlfriend's) collection and those in my friend's:

Decimator, 2-4 TIEs (w. Howlrunner)
Decimator, 2 TIEs (Howlrunner, Dark Curse)
2 Interceptors (Imperial Aces), 2-4 TIEs (Howlrunner potentially)
7-8 TIEs (Howlrunner potentially)

That being said, in games with my buddy I could have access to two more X-Wings, and the A/B-Wings from the Rebel Aces box...but I'm trying to learn what I have before I get into new ships (more frustratingly at times, their dials).

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 02-02-15 at 02:15 PM.
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-15, 03:49 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Thanks, your advice has been crucial in its creation! I initially posted a three man list before and even played it but really found that I could have used the other ship (hence me buying one like 3 seconds after saying I didn't want to buy a new ship ). What do you think of this idea:

X-Wing: Wedge Antilles - R5P9, Shield Upgrade, Marksmanship
X-Wing: Garvin Dries - R5 Astromech, Ion Torpedoes, Shield Upgrade
Z-95: Airen Cracken - Assault Missiles, Munitions Failsafe

100 points

Or I could replace Cracken with Z-95: Blount - Deadeye, Assault Missiles, though as much as I like auto-inducing the effects of the missiles with Blount (and Initiative potentially at 98 points) I think I like Cracken for handing out actions.

I am not personally a fan of Cracken, he is effectively 17 points with a more useful version of squad leader, I would rather spend those 2 points (squad leader) on Blount -who is really just a 16 pt ship with a built in fail safe, and IMO PS6 vs PS8 is negligible in the games I play (which is a little more "spammy" where most people will field the generic pilots* and only 1 or 2 Unique characters are in the list. So by default I would take Blount.

For example, in MY Tie swarm list: it is not very dependent upon a single pilot (exception is Howlrunner, but I tend to NOT run her/him/it since I tend to group my ties a little too much (and proceed to get fucked up with ion torpedoes/assault missiles) so I end up trying to stay away from him. Often I find that I run Mauler and Backstabber + generic pilots (as many as I can, usually a minimum of 4 PS4+ pilots)
Howlrunner or Mauler
Backstabber or Mauler
Black Sqd x 2-3
Obsidian Sqd 2-3
Academy Pilot 0-2

----

In general most people here tend to run B-wings here, there is hardly a list that doesn't include at least 1 (or a Y-wing with an R2 Astromech and ion turret) that is supported by Z-95s and X-wings. A-wings tend to be under played since they are REALLY cost inefficient when given missiles, they are best played as the Rebels version of the interceptor. Several people love the Hawk (mainly for Roark making something PS12).

I know shields are better than hull points because you ignore any kind of damage, but would it be worth it to drop the Shield Upgrades to Hull Modifications in order to add Munitions Failsafes to the Z's? As Sethis pointed out, that's a lot of points to miss with.

That is debatable, since in my games against a tie swarm a ship with PS2 and assault missiles will probably be dead (from moving 1st and not being able to target lock) before he could shoot his missiles - again in my games the average PS is 4 for Rebels (3.5ish if you take PS2 Z-95s) and 4-4.5 for the Empire (pending build; my tie swarm tends to average near 4.3)

@Sethis I like the idea of being able to run bare bones ships like the Z's without upgrades, but I think my flying skills have to improve before a tactic like that works. I'm still getting used to the turn templates and formations have been...a little too tight, shall we say, for the last little while. As for what I'll be facing off against with this list, here's a general sweep of the Imperial ships/lists in my (and my girlfriend's) collection and those in my friend's:

Decimator, 2-4 TIEs (w. Howlrunner)
Decimator, 2 TIEs (Howlrunner, Dark Curse)
2 Interceptors (Imperial Aces), 2-4 TIEs (Howlrunner potentially)
7-8 TIEs (Howlrunner potentially)

That being said, in games with my buddy I could have access to two more X-Wings, and the A/B-Wings from the Rebel Aces box...but I'm trying to learn what I have before I get into new ships (more frustratingly at times, their dials).
X-wings and Z-95s have practically the same dial though. So there should be very little in "knowing" what they can/cannot do.

If you are running them in formation then simply flying in formation is the hard part; I found to have roughly half a base (so half of an inch) between each ship works best, and if you are turning (say to the left and there are 3 ships) if you are "properly" spaced then everyone should be able to do a X turn without running into each other - OR the middle pilot needs to fly X+1 since that should have him sufficiently spaced to NOT run into a friendly ship. In general when I run my rebels in formation I run them in pairs, each pair should be self sustaining (aka each has a X-wing with proton torpedoes, and a Z-95 with a X missile) and be equally dangerous if left alone/not dealt with properly.

TL;DR expand what you can do with ANY ship/pilot, don't just pigeon hole yourself to become dependent upon R2-D2 and Wedge or whatever it may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-15, 04:11 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
in general for 1v1s (outside of tournament setting) it tends to stay thematic and be Rebels vs Empire, however in a tournament anything can fight anything - RvR and EvE is a common experience.
I seem to remember one night where me and @Logaan were chasing each others TIE's all over the board for what felt like a month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-15, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
X-wings and Z-95s have practically the same dial though. So there should be very little in "knowing" what they can/cannot do.
I was more referring to the A/B-Wing possibilities of adding to my lists every now and again. I have been running my ships as two Z's and two X's, mixing them up is a good idea.

Quote:
TL;DR
Never.

Quote:
expand what you can do with ANY ship/pilot, don't just pigeon hole yourself to become dependent upon R2-D2 and Wedge or whatever it may be
I like Wedge for fanboy reasons and his pilot ability, but am definitely moving away from R2D2. A Shield Upgrade is the same points, doesn't take up an Astromech slot, and doesn't affect the way I have to move my ship. I've played lots of matches using the pilots that don't have abilities while learning the game to keep it simple, but I'm also shooting last against a lot of shots in most of my matches (three PS8 pilots typically) and Wedge being PS9 usually helps me at least get one last round of potential damage out of him before something takes him out (@Tawa, I feel your evade dice pain buddy).

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-07-15, 04:04 AM

Whenever I run Wedge, I run Biggs. No other way to do it in my opinion if you take Wedge he will be first priority and Biggs will keep him alive for that much longer here is what I like to run.

Wedge, R5K6, Fletch torpedoes, predator, shield upgrade

Biggs, R2F2, shield upgrade

Blount, assault missiles, veteran instincts, shield upgrade

100 pts

Biggs has saved Wedge for me so many times it's not funny. So with Biggs I just use his action for the extra agility making it 3. However I also like to keep my fighter range 2-3 so Biggs with 4 agility at 3 is nice. Veteran instincts will allow Blount to get his missiles off before a lot of ties.R2K6 will allow wedge to maintain target locks until whatever he shoots at is dead. Predator gives the reroll.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-07-15, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks @forgefather , I'll definitely experiment with Biggs. He's been a popular suggestion!

Here's a list I like to call 'Shields on Full':

2x X-Wings
Wedge w. Predator, R5-P9, Shield Upgrade
Garven w. R2-D6, Veteran Instincts, Shield Upgrade

Z-95 Headhunter
Blount w. Assault Missiles, Veteran Instincts, Shield Upgrade

I figure Predator helps Wedge use Focus more often than Target Lock, and Veteran Instincts because I'm sick of dying before I shoot. Also, this list is 98 points in an attempt to also get Initiative. I'll definitely be swapping in other pilots to accompany Wedge as I go, and as the ship collection grows I'll be swapping in no-name pilots to garner more space for ships in my lists.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems > Fantasy Flight Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode