First game of X Wing this Saturday. Questions on potential list. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Fantasy Flight Games Covering 'Star Wars: X-Wing', 'Star Wars: Armada', Warhammer 40,000: Conquest' etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-26-15, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Default First game of X Wing this Saturday. Questions on potential list.

So after many false starts due to one thing or another, this Sat will be my first game of X Wing. Having split two starter sets with a mate I will have available two X Wings and an E Wing I bought on impulse last week. I haven't even gotten a hold of the rule book or x wings yet, (he'll bring them along on Sat) so my mate threw a list together and mentioned something about having Luke Skywalker and and Biggs Darklighter in the x wings, plus the E Wing.

So, good list, bad list? I'm not too pushed as I always write off the first ten games of a new system as tutorials for learning the rules, but it's nice to have some advanced knowledge of what I'll be using. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-26-15, 10:50 PM

Logaan's Flag is: England

I think for the first 5-10 games, like you said, it won't be about the lists but more the mechanics and gameplay and getting used to how individual ships function.

Learning the different movement, strengths and weaknesses of the ships comes naturally with learning the core mechanics of the game. You'll actually grasp the game in about 30 minutes easily.

I'm not a massive Rebel player but you'll find Biggs in a lot of lists as his ability means that he has to be targeted at range one rather than other rebel ships.

Luke's ability is that he can use one focus roll as an evade (a latent action that X Wing's don't have) Equip him with R2-D2 and he becomes quite beastly. X Wings are more durable than TIE Fighters and have shields but aren't as manoeuverable.

I have only used my E-Wing once and its a bit of a tank with some good named pilots and upgrades. Once you start flying the ships, you get a feel of how best to operate them, what their movement dials are like and what their limitations are.

But I guarantee one thing, you will love the game

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-26-15, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logaan View Post
But I guarantee one thing, you will love the game
Good stuff. Some of the group took the plunge into the Star Trek version, and I played a game or two, but I held off buying anything as I'll always go for Wars over Trek. I just had to wait for someone else to join me on this side of the line.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-27-15, 12:38 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Skywalker with Marksmanship and R2D2 is a pretty amazing ship. Luke gets the free 'shift a dice from focus to evade' as was mentioned, plus Marksmanship allows you to change one focus to a critical hit, and any other focus results to hits on the attack. R2D2 allows you to regenerate one shield for every green maneuver you make, a great moment when you shed stress, regain a shield, and fire on someone point blank that thought they had you. Now that I'm checking out Biggs though, it might be worth dropping R2 with him since if you can keep close quarters on Luke you'll be taking more shots thanks to hit pilot ability.

E-Wings I have no experience with, they look pretty boss though. Shields over Hull Points every day, and those are pretty nice action and upgrade bars.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-27-15, 02:30 AM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
So after many false starts due to one thing or another, this Sat will be my first game of X Wing. Having split two starter sets with a mate I will have available two X Wings and an E Wing I bought on impulse last week. I haven't even gotten a hold of the rule book or x wings yet, (he'll bring them along on Sat) so my mate threw a list together and mentioned something about having Luke Skywalker and and Biggs Darklighter in the x wings, plus the E Wing.

So, good list, bad list? I'm not too pushed as I always write off the first ten games of a new system as tutorials for learning the rules, but it's nice to have some advanced knowledge of what I'll be using. Thanks in advance.
The first thing you have to understand is X-wing is very different to a game like 40k. Although it may appear to be very simple and luck dependent, nothing is further from the truth. At it's core this game is about manoeuvring. Manoeuvre poorly and you'll miss opportunities to shoot and have uneven trades. Manoeuvre well and you'll push the burden of luck onto your opponent.

This early in your starfighter career, the main mistake people make is to deploy in a sort of scattered formation to cover the board. This is a mistake because ideally you want all of you squad to focus fire one enemy ship and destroy it quickly, to reduce your opponents offensive capability. So deploy your ships together and try to keep them near each other for at least the first pass and trade with the opponent. After that formations tend to fall apart a bit, which is ok. Obviously it's WAY more complicated than that, but for your first couple of games that's plenty.

Here's a decent tutorial on flying in formation.

Just some general tips:
-Focus-fire! Focus-fire! Focus-fire!
-Try not to hit asteroids or other ships.
-Disengaging with a hurt ship and re-entering the fight at a later stage is usually better than getting one more shot before exploding.
-For offence: target lock & focus > target lock > focus
-For defence: evade & focus > evade > focus
-Focus is good for low pilot skill ships that shoot last, if you don't use the focus on defence you have it for offence.

As to your squad, it's difficult to build a solid list with just the core set and one expansion. The problem is you won't have the 'ideal' upgrade cards that go with many of the ships, but luckily because your mate is getting into the game at the same time you're both in the same boat. If you're planning on 100pt games to begin with, som

45 Corran w/ Marksmanship + R2D2 + advanced sensors
27 Biggs w/ R7 astromech
27 Red w/ Proton torpedoes

Not the best list in the world, but still pretty decent. Biggs hangs out at the back of the pack and acts as extra HP for Corran and the Red. Marksmanship is OK on Corran because it works with both of his attacks, and R2D2 pair with agility 3 and the evade action makes Corran almost invincible in a 1v1 endgame dogfight.

Some essential reading. The four 'golden rules' at the beginning are particularly important.

Good luck dude!

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-27-15, 09:54 AM

Try this to play with squads and upgrades. http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build

It also tells you where cards are (which expansions) and with friends you can always proxy them, as all the details for each card are on the x wing wiki here: http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wi...iniatures_Wiki

Also you can read the rulebook for free online https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/f...ook_lowres.pdf to get familiar.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-27-15, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosRedCorsairLord View Post
Some essential reading. The four 'golden rules' at the beginning are particularly important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyG View Post
Try this to play with squads and upgrades. http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build
Excellent links, thanks guys.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-27-15, 09:59 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Late to the party, that's me

E-Wings are pretty expensive for what you get really. Although Corran Horn's ability is something nifty to pull out of your sleeve when you really need to blat something hard. Trouble is, you're limited by not being able to fire in the next turn.
Etahn is handy to have near your other ships due to being able to change one hit over to a critical. Plus, with that being his card ability it doesn't cost you the chance to take an action. Handy!

In short regarding E-Wings, I'd take a named pilot as the prices for the Knave and Blackmoon Sqd pilots are a tad silly

Regarding X-Wings, I can't add anything else to what's been said. They are a good solid ship to have, and yeah, Biggs is very(!) handy to have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-15, 05:01 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Just to add to the links of joy:

Here's a card list by expansion that you can get all the card graphics you can ever want from.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-15, 09:35 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Just to add to the links of joy:

Here's a card list by expansion that you can get all the card graphics you can ever want from.
Awesome.

Squadron Builder is down so you just saved me from having to get all my fecking cards out to price a list I built off the top of my head at work earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems > Fantasy Flight Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode