First game of X Wing this Saturday. Questions on potential list. - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Fantasy Flight Games Covering 'Star Wars: X-Wing', 'Star Wars: Armada', Warhammer 40,000: Conquest' etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-26-15, 10:35 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosRedCorsairLord View Post
They've done a great job of fixing the TIE advanced
What do you mean by this, them adding in the Title card that basically allows it a free System upgrade?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 04:21 AM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
What do you mean by this, them adding in the Title card that basically allows it a free System upgrade?
Exactly, the TIE advanced was another well known overcosted ship, which they fixed in a very interesting way.

Also the big (and I really do mean BIG) X-wing news of today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-wing FAQ
DECLOAK
This card should read:
At the start of the Activation phase, after players have resolved all other abilities that trigger at the start of the Activation phase, each ship may spend a cloak token to decloak, starting with the ship with the lowest pilot skill (using initiative to break ties). When a ship decloaks, it must choose one of the following effects:
•Perform a barrel roll using the [2] maneuver template.
•Perform a boost using the [2] maneuver template.
Decloaking is not an action or a maneuver, and a ship can decloak while it has a stress token.
A ship cannot decloak if it would overlap another ship or an obstacle token, or if the maneuver template would overlap an obstacle token.
After all decloaking has been resolved, the Activation phase continues as normal

That first line was previously 'A ship may spend a cloak token to DECLOAK immediately before revealing its maneuver dual.' This is a serious balance change, and while Phantoms remain fantastic and extremely powerful there is now a far better chance (a new hope!) that lower PS ships might actually be able to track one down or even block one.
TIE phantom has finally been nerfed! Huzza! End of an era!

Full FAQ is here.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 06:28 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

@ChaosRedCorsairLord I think that we have differing opinions in regards to the X-Wing, could it be cheaper - yes but I think just LOWERING the base cost is the wrong choice (see fix for the TIE Advanced that you pointed out); I think just granting a Title card of "Rogue" Squadron" that simply allows a Lvl 4 pilot to have a medal option.

If you want to continue this conversation, I feel that the "X-Wing Math" thread would be a more appropriate spot - seeing how its "math-hammer" / balance-of-game related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 09:03 AM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Your list alone isn't everything in X-wing. It also depends on how well you list counters you opponent's and obviously how good a player you are. I suspect one or both of those factors are in your favour.
I'd say I'm about average

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
I think just granting a Title card of "Rogue" Squadron" that simply allows a Lvl 4 pilot to have a medal option.
I'd be all over that like Gary Glitter on a parents evening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 06:28 PM

Quote:
TIE phantom has finally been nerfed! Huzza! End of an era!
The Activation Phase for each ship begins with revealing your maneuver dial, so if you Decloak you're still doing it before you reveal your dial. This is no different than how I have been playing a Phantom, forgive me for asking you to explain another thing but how is this a nerf? You still Decloak when it comes time for that ship to begin its Activation Phase, and it still happens before you reveal your dial.

The only difference I can see is that now if there's anything other than Decloaking that happens at the beginning of the Activation Phase it gets resolved first. If that's a huge difference then I don't know why at all.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 03-27-15 at 06:30 PM.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 07:13 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Maybe I'm dumb, well dumber than I thought, but doesn't everything go as such for a normal "turn"

Activate (decloak)
Reveal & move
Action
Shoot
clean up

Are they trying to say it goes like this instead?

Activate
Reveal & move
Action (decloak)
Shoot
clean up

----

Edit: Because currently I feel that nothing actually "changed" for the phantom, just that the language of the card was phrased a little bit better. Am I the only one who feels like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

Last edited by Fallen; 03-27-15 at 07:19 PM.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 08:16 PM

Logaan's Flag is: England

I've always ran my Phantoms as;

Activate
Decloak - move
Action
Shoot (recloak with ACD if equipped)
End phase and tidy up.

I'm with @Fallen on this.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
Are they trying to say it goes like this instead?
It would have to say something like 'during the activation phase but before preforming actions', no?

It really just looks like any pilot or upgrade card abilities get taken care of before any cloaked ships get the opportunity to do such a thing should such a conflict of order arise.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 10:13 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Previously you decloaked at your PS step.

Now you decloak at the beginning of the turn, before PS1 (or even 0).

It means that Phantom players no longer pick a decloak direction after seeing where all PS1-7 ships have moved to - for the named ones with VI at least. They must instead decloak before seeing any maneuvers, and rely on their pre-set dial to keep them out of trouble by dodging arcs and so on. It's a lot more tricky that way! However it does make them very flexible blockers if they have to be. Whether that's a desirable use for a 40+pt ship is dependent on the situation...

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-28-15, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

So no love for E Wings? I know they are points heavy, but Horn performed brilliantly, and the barrel roll got me out of trouble or into a firing arc quite a bit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems > Fantasy Flight Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode