Fantasy Flight Games: X-Wing. - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Fantasy Flight Games Covering 'Star Wars: X-Wing', 'Star Wars: Armada', Warhammer 40,000: Conquest' etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 245 (permalink) Old 02-28-14, 03:24 AM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

I own a shit-ton of this stuff. It's more addictive than 40k, cause as soon as you get the stuff, it's ready to play.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-01-14, 04:25 PM

Logaan's Flag is: England

Been playing this all this week and its a really brilliant game; great uncomplicated rules, it flows really well and is uber tactical with the load outs and mods.

Had an epic match today, here is a brief run down;

Millennium Falcon, Y Wing and X Wing - my mate Rich.

TIE Advanced (Darth Vader) Slave 1 and TIE Fighter (Mauler) - me.

The game started with all ships closing on each other and firing a few pot shots. Slave 1 peppered the Falcon and knocked down three shields in the first few phases. As the ships got closer, the dog-fighting began. The Y Wing hit Vader with an ION cannon which reduced his movement for a turn.

This ensured that the rookie X Wing he was hunting zipped away and Vader set off in pursuit, taking him away from the main fighting. Mauler was evading everything that was thrown at him and began shooting at the Y wing.

In the middle of this, Slave 1 and the Falcon traded shots. Boba Fett showed some deft skills in dodging most of these shots before his shields were taken down. To counter this, Fett pulled a sharp turn and used his fire arc to pound at the Falcon. Its shields were gone and it took one hull damage but Chewbacca's ability restored one shield and the hull remained undamaged.

Mauler and Vader continued to duel with the Y Wing and the X Wing with no real damage being done. Then disaster. An ill conceived turn saw Slave 1 move off the table. He was gone and this left the Falcon to turn its attentions to the two remaining Imperial ships.

Distracted by this, I forgot use any actions on Vader (he can perform two per turn) and the Falcon, badly damaged after its encounter with Fett, unloaded on the Adanced TIE. Three hits were rolled and I failed to roll a single evade. Vader's shields were gone, and he took one critical damage that reduced his agility by one.

Vader, right annoyed at this stage, fired at the Y Wing (now down to two hull damage following a strafe from Mauler) at close range, three direct hits. The Y Wing used focus to evade one hit, but the remaining two hit home. Kaboom.

In response, the rookie X Wing opened up at close range at Mauler. The extra dice at close range was crucial - all three hit. Mauler, who had been evading everything, saw his luck turn. No evades were thrown and he was blasted into pieces.

The Falcon was closing in on Vader and narrowly avoided destroying his ship. In response, Vader pulled a tight turn and locked onto the Falcon. Here was the plan. My missiles mod was in range and, if my target lock was discarded, I could fire it twice. Six dice. DAKKA DAKKA. The Falcon's one evade dice was not enough and it was destroyed.

However, both Vader and Solo had the same pilot skill so Solo got shoot back before he died. One shot hit, even with his reroll skill and Vader dodged. Solo was indeed toast.

But now Vader was badly damaged, one shot away from death and facing a rookie pilot with no shields and a full hull. Shots were traded and Vader was lucky to emerge unscathed with his reduced agility.

Then came two mistakes from the rookie. A badly thought out moved meant he missed out on a firing arc, Vader took advantage and hit him twice, causing two damage. Then the game was up. The rookie had miscalculated and chose the wrong turning arc.....and he too fled the table top.

Vader had won! His Advanced TIE was battered and bruised but he was alive.

A corking way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

Last edited by Logaan; 03-01-14 at 04:29 PM.
post #23 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-01-14, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Sounds like a barrel of laughs bro

Funds are lacking, but I'll be there before long with some ships!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

post #24 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-02-14, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
Sounds like a barrel of laughs bro
Definitely my wargame of choice at the minute. The game itself is excellent and very easily learnt. From the core set to expanding to extra/bigger ships and squad building is an easy step and opens it up to a massively tactical game.

The game I outlined above was 100pts per side and lasted over an hour. Six ships worth of game play where either side could have won. FF have created a truly awesome game; low cost but massively entertaining. I really cannot recommend this game enough.

And its Star Wars

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

post #25 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-02-14, 03:20 AM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

One of the things I really like about the game is how streamlined it is. There's no flicking through codices trying to figure out what special rules a character has, or what a particular critical hit does. There is no bookkeeping in this game, everything you need to know is on the table in front of you.

It just makes the game so fast paced and enjoyable.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #26 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-02-14, 12:32 PM

Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands

Also jumped aboard, bought two starter sets (thanks for the tip @Logaan ) the Tie interceptor and Y-wing expansions and I have to say this is the best money spent on a game so far. Simple, yet allows for depth and complexity, fast, fluid tactical choices and just a ton of fun.
post #27 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-02-14, 02:29 PM

So this is the list I used yesterday, probably a bit beardy but it played well;

Darth Vader - Squad Leader and Cluster Missiles

Mauler Mithel - Marksmanship

Boba Fett - Veteran Instincts and Homing Missiles.

Total - 100 points.

Veteran Instincts boosted Fett's pilot skill to 10. Added to his ability to change his turning direction, this is a really good combination.

post #28 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-02-14, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

I really can't wait to jump on board with this!

Quote:
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
post #29 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-12-14, 03:03 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Game is actually based on Wings of War, so its not a new system. Star Wars theme gets more appealing to larger growds though. After been playing both games id say SW is better game.
post #30 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

@Logaan

Rebel Aces

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems > Fantasy Flight Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode