I'd Appreciate the help (750 Eldar army) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-10, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

I'd Appreciate the help (750 Eldar army)

Hey guys, Id like to have help assembling a 750 point army and Ill list what I have,
X6 Striking Scorpians (Exarch with claw)
X5 Rangers
X21 Guardians and Wep platform
X4 Warlocks
X2 Farseers
X1 War Walker (starcannon/scatter)
X1 Wave Serpent (Twin Lances)
X5 Dire Avengers (Exarch with Sword)
X3 Dark Reapers
I really hope Im not in the wrong forum lol
At my local gamestore theres a tournament and theres no special characters And I pretty much know what armies are gonna show up and just some comments or advice of what I should throw together would help.
Like I said just some help would be nice. TY
Eldar58
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-10, 03:45 AM

heya, im not very good at spelling and gramar but ill try and help you best i can. you really want to give powers to those farseers, fortune and guide are my fav. a fortuned group of warlocks with a farseer is hard to kill, 4+ rerolling invul saves. they guide would go great with a group of guardains as they have a low BS. Im not much of a fan of the gaurdains, i like the dire avengers much more, the extra 6 inch range 4+ save and BS 4 gives them a bigger punch and harder to kill. If you use rangers make them path finders you can put them in cover for a 2+ cover save. warwalkers are great i use 3 in about every list, i go dual scatter lasers. with guide you average about 17 wounds if you have a full group, works great for killing anything. for the dire avengers i always go with blade storm and dual catapults, gets alot of shots when they need them, also works great with guide or doom. i like to put star engines on my waver serpents you can move up to 36 inches in one turn, you can nearly get across the table. I dont have any dark reapers, but i would think they would be great for fighting space marines, exspectaly with an exarch, and maybe even guide from a seer. could realy ruin some ones day.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-10, 08:29 AM

PanzerPig's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hey there Eldar58 welcome to the pointy ears

Ok firstly while warlocks with fortune and doom Farseer is a brilliant unit its also very expensive to build, a minimum of 25pts a model is tad pricey at 750pts, so if you want to try them by all means, but I think as a HQ option, deffo a Farseer with doom/guide combo or even just doom or just guide, nice and cheap but still a good buffing unit.

Try using the guardians as proxy Avengers. As kamisori said, Avengers just rock compared to guardians, 4pts more for a save vs bolter fire, better chance of hitting and long range. Try 10 in the serpent with bladestorm and the farseer with doom/guide. 33 re rollable shots at BS4, S4 with re rolls to wound will put the hurt on a hell of a lot of units.

Normally i'd advise that unit x2, but at 750points again that would run up a hefty price tag, so try 5 rangers, not pathfinders, 5 rangers can get a 2+ cover save if you go to ground anyway while in cover and so become just as good at holding that home objective.

Again as Kamisori mentioned, the warwalkers, all 3 armed with scatter lasers comes in at a very reasonable 180pts for a unit that can throw out 24 S6 shots, if you can back it up with guide then it can really ruin some transports. I like these guys outflanking however to ensure they get at least one turn of full firepower and can get a possibility of some rear armour shots (Im looking at you Leman Russes).

Bar the walkers id try using those two troop options (proxy models should be fine particularity if you explain that you can't get more quickly) but I would try and grab two more walkers. Other than these units general advice would be, if you can grab a transport do it, T3 really suffers on foot, Eldar at very hard to play at 750pts so don't feel bad about using some of the meaner combos in out dex as we lack a lot of cheap decent options. Just pm me if you'd like a sample list or something, however I'm not the most competitive player in the world or indeed on heresy (nothing wrong with that ofc just not for me) but so far ive done pretty well with the Eldar. So yeah, best of luck.

Panzer

Dagger's of Solitude (Eldar)- 1800pts (1680pts painted- curse the last two war walkers)
Clan Venomklaw (Skaven)- 1200pts (550pts painted)
Prince Nathaniel's Host (High Elves)- (none painted)
Sons of Orthrus (Space Wolves) 500pts (none painted)

Skaven Project Log- Clan Venomklaw
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=78074

Last edited by PanzerPig; 08-13-10 at 02:14 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-10, 03:47 AM

Use the Guardians as Guardians, make them a twenty man unit (after I made my own list I found that the most you'll want to take is seventeen) and give them a warlock with conceal and throw a Farseer in there with guide and fortune. I'll admit it will be pricey but at that point level, barring mech, most lists won't be able to take the shoots they will be able to dish out.

You'll just have to make sure they get up to your opponent. You can do that by being aggressive with your infiltrating scorpions, rangers and walkers (again, after I made my own list I found these guys just an't in the cards) and by flying your DA's in the wave serpent up. The thought is they will won't care about the Guardians and just ignore them and try to take care of the other stuff.

Don't get me wrong, the main focus of the army isn't that one unit, it is the idea that your opponent will split his force and make a mistake, but don't count on that mistake.

List composition will be a little hard, considering the point size, and with my idea you would give up a lot of kill points for such a small point game. Good luck

Those who ask questions only train themselves in asking questions
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-10, 08:03 AM

PanzerPig's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucus009 View Post
Use the Guardians as Guardians, make them a twenty man unit (after I made my own list I found that the most you'll want to take is seventeen) and give them a warlock with conceal and throw a Farseer in there with guide and fortune.
The problem is DA's are better at this than guardians, conceal is almost a waste considering how easy it is to find a 4+ cover save with a longer range and some handy exarch abilities. My gripe with Guardians is you pay 8pts for a guardsmen statline essentially, and thats ok on guard who cost something like 5pts each, but due to the price and mandatory BS3 heavy weapon (which due to BS3 is only a 50/50 shot) a min sized guardian squad pre warlock is around 100pts, with the warlock is comes to around 130-140, which is just silly for a fancy guardsmen squad. I could be wrong, but I don't see a 17 man Guardian squad doing anything but dying in droves.

Dagger's of Solitude (Eldar)- 1800pts (1680pts painted- curse the last two war walkers)
Clan Venomklaw (Skaven)- 1200pts (550pts painted)
Prince Nathaniel's Host (High Elves)- (none painted)
Sons of Orthrus (Space Wolves) 500pts (none painted)

Skaven Project Log- Clan Venomklaw
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=78074
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-10, 05:59 PM

I would take the claw off of the scorpion exarch and give him either a biting blade or chain sabers. The claw may be a power weapon but your going last in the combat and its not very good at tank busting because its only strength 6. The biting blade will get you strength 7 on average because you should normally get 3 hits because of the exarch's improved weapon skill. So you should be able to kill most transports with it. With the chain sabers he gets 5 attacks in close combat the you get to re-roll all hit and wounds for. If you can some how fit in the points take the exarch power shadowstrike because they can then out flank or infiltrate close to the enemy.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-10, 06:34 AM
Jack Mac's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuman55 View Post
The biting blade will get you strength 7 on average because you should normally get 3 hits because of the exarch's improved weapon skill.
His weapon skill has nothing to do with hitting vehicles. (recall, you hit automatically if the vehicle didn't move, half the time if it moved at combat and on sixes only if it moved at cruising. The only vehicle type for which that's not true is dreadnoughts.)

EDIT: Okay, OP. I'm going to put together some kind of a list based on what you have. It's probably not going to be amazing, but feel free to copy, steal, maim or otherwise use it

HQ: Okay, two choices for HQ, each of which depend on a different choice.

It all comes down to the wave serpent. You've only got one transport, so you need to think about what goes in it. You don't have enough dire avengers, and neither guardians nor rangers really need or want to be mech'd. So I figure you've got two good options. You could take a squad of scorpions with a farseer, or you could take a squad of warlocks all with destructor.

So, HQ: Farseer (witchblade, not singing spear) with Doom: 80 points
OR
4 Warlocks (witchblades) and 3 Destructor - 130
I don't know which squad I like more.
Some points: they're both really deadly. The scorpions with farseer burn through enemies in cc, and aren't weak vs vehicles because the farseer has 3 S9 attacks on the charge (vs vehicles).
The warlocks do a triple heavy flamer, and then 12 WS5 attacks that wound on a 2+, which isn't shabby either. (And obviously, the warlocks burn through vehicles like parchment, with 12 S9 attacks on the charge). (For either army, you want to move into position, and then disembark next turn, so you can charge that same turn.) The scorpions, however, are a lot more survivable than the Warlocks (and for 5 points more, you can have fortune instead of doom. Use it turn one on your wave serpent and turboboost, then turn two on your scorpions and charge. Good times, and you'll likely put the fear of god in your opponent). (Aside: if you have your warlocks in a vehicle looking at, say, a squad of marines in front of a rhino, do this. Disembark your warlocks and move forward. Gauge the distance and see if you could hit the rhino with your flamers. If you think you can, then shoot the rhino, killing the marines as you do, then assault it, killing it.)

SO. Depending on what you pick there, I'd take:
Elites:
6 Striking Scorpions, including Exarch with scorpion's claw - 135 (I made this points value up, don't have my codex nearby)
OR
6 Striking Scorpions including Exarch with scorpion's claw and Shadowstrike - 150 (ditto)

Obviously, the first squad would be with the farseer in the transport, the second squad would be on foot with the warlocks in the transport.
Either way, that means: Wave Serpent, TL bl - 135

Troops: 10 Guardians, EML - 100. This unit isn't great, but at low points levels they tend to be cheap and survivable. Stick them in cover, remember your weapon platform is Assault so you can move and shoot, and watch them slowly die (guardians don't tend to run, and you've got enough wounds to last ages. They tend to attract proportionally greater firepower, and the blast EML is pretty fun)

5 rangers - 95

Okay, two defensive troops choices maybe isn't great, think about this. Possibly, your wave serpent could come back and grab the guardians midgame.

At this point, I'd fill the rest of the points out with the Dark Reapers and/or the War Walker, depending on which of the above options you preferred.

Last edited by Jack Mac; 08-17-10 at 08:32 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-10, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mac View Post

So, HQ: Farseer (witchblade, not singing spear) with Doom: 80 points
OR
4 Warlocks (witchblades) and 3 Destructor - 130
I don't know which squad I like more.
Some points: they're both really deadly. The scorpions with farseer burn through enemies in cc, and aren't weak vs vehicles because the farseer has 3 S9 attacks on the charge (vs vehicles).
The warlocks do a triple heavy flamer, and then 12 WS5 attacks that wound on a 2+, which isn't shabby either. (And obviously, the warlocks burn through vehicles like parchment, with 12 S9 attacks on the charge). (For either army, you want to move into position, and then disembark next turn, so you can charge that same turn.) The scorpions, however, are a lot more survivable than the Warlocks (and for 5 points more, you can have fortune instead of doom. Use it turn one on your wave serpent and turboboost, then turn two on your scorpions and charge. Good times, and you'll likely put the fear of god in your opponent). (Aside: if you have your warlocks in a vehicle looking at, say, a squad of marines in front of a rhino, do this. Disembark your warlocks and move forward. Gauge the distance and see if you could hit the rhino with your flamers. If you think you can, then shoot the rhino, killing the marines as you do, then assault it, killing it.)
farseer and warock both have one attack + one for charge. witchblades are two handed so they only have two attacks each. warlocks are only weapon skill 4 not 5 but still with the heavy flamers and 2+ wounding are strong.
also apart from points i don't think theres any reason why you shouldn't have 4 destructers in there.

SO. Depending on what you pick there, I'd take:
Elites:
6 Striking Scorpions, including Exarch with scorpion's claw - 135 (I made this points value up, don't have my codex nearby)
OR
6 Striking Scorpions including Exarch with scorpion's claw and Shadowstrike - 150 (ditto)
first one is 123 points.
second is 143

your tactics look good though and like you say with the biting blade and 5 attacks auto hit on stationary vehicals you can get some nice strengh
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-10, 10:13 AM
Jack Mac's Flag is: Australia

Nah, witchblades are one handed and they have pistols. It's why singing spears are bad.

In my setup, one way the scorpions would choose the claw - if you've got the farseer, you've got antitank covered. You also have highish Initiative, easy-wounding attacks. You still need armour penetration. If you take the scorp unit and the warlock unit, your call.

Good points on the warlock WS and fourth heavy flamer. I think when I wrote that I was imagining you'd take off the destructor-less warlock first, but that's silly.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-10, 11:34 PM

Darksider's Flag is: United Kingdom

my personal thoughts:

Farseer: doom, guide and spirit stones= 120

10 Guardians: missile launcher= 100
-> Wave Serpent: bright lances= 135

5 Rangers: pathfinder upgrade= 120

3 Dark Reapers: exarch; tempest launcher and crack shot= 147

6 Striking Scorpions: exarch; shadowstrike= 128

total= 750

basic plan of attack is keep rangers and dark reapers in cover, shoot people off objectives then hold it with the guardians.
use the scorpions largely as a distraction and early threat to buy the army manouveuring time.

I hope this is helpful, write back

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode