1700~ish Eldar list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-09, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Weirdboyz's Flag is: Canada

1700~ish Eldar list

Some may hate it, others may like it. I made this list after reading a whack of the lists here, proxied it, and then bought the models for it. The few proxies I have had time for have went fairly well [1 win, 1 draw (1 frickin objective from a win), 1 loss], especially since I am new to the Eldar. Anyway, here are the beans.

HQ:
Farseer: 130pts
Runes of Wit, Spirit Stones, Doom, Fortune

Autarch: 125pts
Warp Jump Gen., Mandiblasters, PW, Fusion Gun

Elites:
Howling Banshees (8 inc. Exarch) : 155pts
Mirror Swords, War Shout

Troops:
Guardians (10): 100pts
EML

Dire Avengers (10 inc. Exarch): 152pts
Dual Catapults, Bladestorm

Dire Avengers (10 inc. Exarch): 177pts
PW/Shimmer, Defend, Bladestorm

Fast Attack:
Warp Spiders (5 inc. Exarch): 174pts
Spinneret Rifle, Powerblades, Withdraw

Warp Spiders (5 inc. Exarch): 174pts
Spinneret Rifle, Powerblades, Withdraw

Heavy Support:
Dark Reapers (5 inc. Exarch): 227pts
Tempest launcher, Fast Shot

Transports:
Wave Serpent 1: 145pts
Spirit Stones, T/L Brightlance

Wave Serpent 2: 145pts
Spirit Stones, T/L Brightlance

Total: 1704

My strategy has been as follows:
-Have the Avengers in the Serpents, moving towards mid-field to close within firing distance of the enemy line or begin contesting objectives.

-Deploy the Banshee's and Farseer together and foot-slog behind the transports. Always have fortune on the Banshee mob, and start dooming when in range. Charge them into melee either in support of the Avengers, or into softened up, Doomed mobs.

-When able (usually by the 3rd turn), drop my Spiders in the opponents backfield (1 grp has the Autarch). That way I have a whole load of S6 shots and a fusion gun able to fire at the rear arch of my opponents vehicles or at any low armor artillery he is hiding in the back. The Powerblades/Withdraw are for if my opponent manages to snag a group. Only under very specific circumstances would I assault in with them.

- Pummel advancing infantry with the Reapers.

I am already planning on maybe dropping the Reapers for another group of Avengers in a Wave Serpent. Also considering dropping the Guardians for more points for Avengers or to buff out the Warp Spiders.

Last edited by Weirdboyz; 05-23-09 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-09, 03:47 PM

sir_m1ke's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hey Weirdboyz, thats a pretty good list and i can see you doing well with it

i agree with you about dropping the reapers, its 227pts of marine death but those points would be better elsewhere I.E. a serpent for your banshees. banshees are not foot troops, they really need a transport to save them from death

likewise, i agree with you about dropping the guardians. your list is very mobile and i think leaving these guys behind just gives a nice juicy target for any deepstriking or outflank unit to hit. get rid of these and go for a DAVU serpent (using the rest of the points from the reapers) and now you have a unit that is far harder to deal with, more mobile and can do all the jobs the guardians could

other smaller suggestions would be dropping the bladestorm from both avenger squads, changing the mirrorswords to an executioner in the banshees and changing the rifle to an additional spinner in each spider squad. i just think these changes will give you enough points to alter your list and still make each unit more effective

these suggestions any help? you definitely have the good basis for an effective army

A little bit annoyed to come back to HO and find I've lost close to 200 rep.....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-09, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

First, to provide the rationale behind a few of my choices:

- I went with Mirrorsword's because the Banshee's will (hopefully) be only charging in on Doomed targets. The Doom balances out w/ S3, and the Banshee can take advantage of 5 attacks on the charge. I do have another exarch modeled w/ an Executioner.

- I chose the Spineret rifle because it is AP1. I thought that it would be a nice thing to have both against vehicles (+1 on dmg table) and against infantry.

I am dancing around with pts to revise the list a bit to get it closer to where it should be.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-09, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

So I fiddled with points, and also realized I have become somewhat bad at basic math skills. Anyway, here is a slightly more mech list. What do people think?

HQ:
Farseer = 130pts
w/ RofWit, Spirit Stones, Doom, Fortune

Autarch = 125pts
w/ Warp Jump Gen., Mandiblasters, PW, Fusion Gun

Elite:
Howling Banshees (8 inc. Exarch) = 155pts
Mirror Swords (or Executioner), War Shout

Troops:

Dire Avengers (10 inc. Exarch) = 152pts
w/ Dual Catapults, Bladestrom

Dire Avengers (10 inc. Exarch) = 162pts
w/ PW/Shimmer, Defend

Dire Avengers (10 inc. Exarch) = 162pts
w/ PW/Shimmer, Defend

Fast Attack:
Warp Spiders (5 inc. Exarch) = 152pts
w/ Spinneret, Powerblades, Withdraw

Warp Spiders (5 inc. Exarch) = 152pts
w/ Spinneret, Powerblades, Withdraw

Transports:
Wave Serpent 1 = 145pts
w/ Spirit Stones, T/L Brightlances

Wave Serpent 2 = 145pts
w/ Spirit Stone, T/L Brightlances

Wave Serpent 3 = 125pts
w/ Spirit Stones, T/L EML

Wave Serpent 3 = 125pts
w/ Spirit Stones, T/L EML

Total = 1740

This list lands pretty much where I was hoping it would points-wise. The downside is that I only have 1 Serpent atm, so I guess I need to watch eBay or checks out these discount gaming stores.

I am also considering getting a squad of Harelquins set up for taking on a more 'hordish' army (i.e., GEq), since they have Furious charge and more attacks (plus rending with Kisses, though I hear it's been nerfed...).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-09, 03:29 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yeah...Harlies aren't the unit they used to be...(Note to self, write Tactica on Eldar Elites, called Tears of the Clown)

The list is solid at the moment - there are a couple things though - ALWAYS Executioner. If you hit a tank, or Bike list, S3 simply won't cut it, even with Doom. Sadly, I learnt this the hard way.

I would suggest playtesting with min size DA squads, to see the difference when you spend those points on 2Dragon Serp squads - 5 Fire Dragons, Spirit Stones, Twin Shuriken Cannons, 190 points each. Actually...you couldn't afford two...well, try one, and, maybe by dropping Fortune you can get 5 more DAs in a cheapSerp too...? (Math skills weak after 3am...)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-09, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

I played a game recently with my CSM buddy, and was able to play-test some of my unit strategies. We did a meat-grinder style mission where we started with 1 HQ and two troops on the board. Every turn you rolled to see what you could bring on. Only rule was no tanks (so no mobility for me), but walkers were allowed.

I was immediately on the back-foot due to my inability to fly here there and everywhere. I was able to test the following to great success (and make a few mistakes I will learn from):

1) The Spiders dropping into the backfield were amazing. They Deepstriked in, and were able to put his Defiler out of business before it could do anything.

2) The Dire Avengers were great. I fielded them in max squad size, and they performed very well. My Dual Rifle Exarch squad accounted for the most kills, and didn't lose a single man due to shooting for 3 whole turns.

3) I learned that charging a Deamon Prince with my Banshees isn't the best idea (though it was a charge or be charged situation). I managed to take it down, but it cost me my entire Banshee squad and my farseer.

Over-all, it was a poor mission for my Space Elves, seeing as how my unit choices were somewhat random and I was unable to gear a list to provide support for my various units. In addition, I ended up having my back to the wall pretty quick, which made my guys sitting ducks for a few assaults.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode