Ulthwe GT Final 1500pts - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-07, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Default Ulthwe GT Final 1500pts

After a nailbiting second day at the heats I finally managed to qualify at the final hurdle with my BA's leaving me a good few months to finish up my Eldar!
Decided to make yet another change (final! ) this time switching alliances to Ulthwe converting up a cheeky mounted Seer council.
The Idea Is to attach the Autarch and Seer to the Warlocks and casting fortune giving them a re-rollable 3+*/4+* to get around the board safely. Early on I'll look to the warlocks/Farseer to pop tanks and use mind war to cripple mobility and take out the major threats. Once squads are dwindled via the bikes and heavies the Autarch, Seer Council and Harlies can move In for the kill with their flameage, lance, and rending goodness.
Seem like fun anyhow, all c+c welcome!
See you all at the final,
Cheers,
LongBeard (Matt)

HQ
Autarch: Jetbike, Laser-Lance, Fusion Gun, Mandi-Blasters
(140pts)

HQ
Farseer: Jetbike, Spear, Fortune, Mind-War, Spirit Stones, Warding (173pts)

Warlock: Jetbike, Singing Spear, Destructor
Warlock: Jetbike, Singing Spear, Embolden
Warlock: Jetbike, Singing Spear, Enhance
Warlock: Jetbike, Singing Spear
(338pts)

TROOPS
3 x Guardian Jetbikes: Shuriken Cannon
(76pts)

TROOPS
3 x Guardian Jetbikes: Shuriken Cannon
(76pts)

ELITES
6 x Harlequins: Shadowseer, 6 x Kisses (162pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Falcon: Holofield, Spirit Stones, Vectored Engines, 2 x Shuriken Cannons
(195pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Fire Prism: Holofield, Spirit Stones, Shuriken Cannon
(170pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Fire Prism: Holofield, Spirit Stones, Shuriken Cannon
(170pts)

(1500pts)

''I Beard therefore I am!''

LongBeard (AKA Bennetio!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-07, 08:04 AM

Why Ulthwe? Looks more like a saim hann list - you fed up of painting red?
List looks strong.
You could ditch the prisms for another harlie/falcon lump.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-07, 08:10 AM

wolf.'s Flag is: Australia

wow, heavy hitter
i think your relying to much on vehicles, remember, in combat, they cant do much.
thats pretty much a firepower army
hmm, test it out against a couple of armies
i cant see much wrong with it though

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-07, 08:58 AM

when i read ultwe, i thought this could be interesting, but no its the same old mech list all the eldar players are using. Having used the jetbike seercouncil at the gt i can tell you it either works awesomely or it becomes a point sink real fast. Anytime you play someone with a psychic hood your down to fortune working half the time, which when a unit costs 651pts you really can't afford it not to work half the time. Yeah the jetbikers will rip apart tanks etc very well and destructor can work a treat too, i used to use it to take out whole guardian squads back when real ultwe were about and then late in the game turn it against the seer council.

I dont think there are enough targets to make the army work and alot of points tied up in one unit, albiet an awesome one. When i used it it was great and won me games on there own sometimes, but i had 12 other units in the army and you have 6, 2 of which don't really count.

Check out my gamer Blog
http://gamergeekery.blogspot.co.uk/2...rs-in-40k.html

Jezlad "I actually commented that Jigplums list was the least scary list I faced. Then took a pasting"
http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/jigplums
http://www.coolminiornot.com/160095
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-23-07, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Council Complete! :D
Got my first game on Monday against Fallen Angels Nidzilla, nice easy matchup to start off with then! :o
Batreps/painting progress to follow.....
All C+C welcome,
Cheers,
Matt (LongBeard)

''I Beard therefore I am!''

LongBeard (AKA Bennetio!)
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-23-07, 06:10 PM

It looks mean but like most of the Eldar armies I've seen too much seems to be invested in the tanks.

A lot of the Eldar armies I saw at heat 1 yoyo'd largely due their tanks. Either they'd be indestructable or blow up in a slight breeze. Along with your very expensive warlock council I think you'll struggle to recover from any bouts of bad luck.

On a more constructive note I would consider only giving half the seercouncil singing spears and the rest leave with their witchblades. Currently the unit lacks enough attacks to me. Wounding on 2+ is great and all but with only 7 attacks from the unit it won't kill stuff quickly and that autarch only ignores armour on the charge. Get caught out and they won't leave combat for a long time.

Also the harlies, don't forget that due to the current FAQ they'll have to be on the table in escalation, all by themselves. Fair enough this won't be a major issue against most opponents but occasionally they might well be caught out and cut down before reinforcements arrive. (Not many armies may be able to do this but Ravenwing certainly can.)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-23-07, 11:31 PM

I actually think this army would suffer quite badly to my double lash all infantry chaos. I guess that's a good thing, though I won't be at the final anyway

It's basically too fragile. The flying council is tough but will struggle to get through even something like a big unit of orcs. Imagine if a death company hits it. Your opponent doesn't really have to kill this unit, it will be bad enough for you if he can just hold it up and maybe get it below half strength.

As stated above, eldar skimmers are often amazing, occasionally catastrophically bad. That makes them a good choice for qualifying but not a great one for actually winning a tournament. Sometimes you get a gamma set up, the other guy goes first, and you feel pain.

I hope I'm wrong and it does work. I think a flying seer council is really cool and offers great modeling opportunities, but I can't see how spending ~650 points on a unit can ever be a tournament winning formula. Game winning sometimes, but not consistent over 6 games. Even the 20 strong seer councils in the "bad old days" tended to come in at not much over 400 points.

You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.
Black Legion, Sisters WIP, Feudal IG WIP.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-24-07, 10:41 AM

man you should put some bright lancers in they smash tank but still good
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-07, 03:55 PM

This doesn't look like an Ulthwe force at all. I think the min/maxing is weak too. The army is too fragile, even for Eldar, and won't hold up against many armies. Very low model count.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-27-07, 12:52 AM

That is precisely the command squad I've been using for the past few months, with a small variation

The autarch goes with a power weapon instead of the lance. I've found that what usually happens with the squad is that it ends up in protracted HtH fights, and obviously the laser lance isn't much help there. However, a regular power weapon with...

Farseer has doom. Goes hand in hand with the PW for the autarch. I understand your idea with the mindwar, but I'd play test it to find out wich option is going to work better for you overall. Either option is solid, go picking off individual models or have him go in with the squad to chop down opposition. Only reason I go with Doom is to put them in HtH asap and get as much mileage out of the autarch ASAP. At 1500 with 2 fire prisims You have a fairly flexable force there that can deal with your threats in just about any way you want. In this army list I'd see the major role for this squad as occupying large/uber units (such as a nasty unit of a Seercouncil on jetbikes ) from interfering with what your Harlies do best (wiping out regular squads of 10 or less).

On a side note go with Witchblades if you plan on using them this way. The extra attack from the blade/pistol will come in handy when the unit gets bogged down. One nice thing about this squad is nigh to invulnerable with fortune. Last tournament I played in 3 devilfish Fish of furried infront of this squad, 52 shots later I didn't lose a single model.

Last edited by eldar2021; 11-27-07 at 12:58 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode