Want a Cheesey Ulthwe Army 1500-2000 pt. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Default Want a Cheesey Ulthwe Army 1500-2000 pt.

I had played Ulthwe Eldar several years ago and wish to return playing the same thing, except taking the game a little more seriously this time. I havn't been able to find my codex so as far as points and abilities I can't readily assign them, I'm more looking for a list of models I should be buying until I find/buy a codex and build them accordingly.

HQ:
I recall using a seer council: 3 Farseers, 5 Warlocks, maybe 2/4 though. Currently bidding on the hero Farseer to add.

Elites:
No idea, I'd like to feild Fire Dragons but Wraithguard seem to be more appropriate?

Troops:
I have about 40 Guardians, I find it difficult to find "Storm Guardians" how necessary are they? Can't I just paint up normal Guardians in the Ulthwe color scheme and load them up with weapons platforms?

I read on an earlier thread that Dire Avengers are a no-no for a true "Ulthwe" army, but I think they're necessary to still have a "cheesey" army.

Heavy:

Apparently Falcons suck now in fifth edition and Fire Prisms are solid here? Would Wraithlord be better?

So a compilation of questions I have:

How many points should I devote to the seer council?

How solid are Wraithguard? I see most lists on here playing Fire Dragons/Howling Banshees, I don't want to sacrifice functionality for fluffiness.

Can I still feild Dire Avengers? If so, is Wave Serpent a good idea here?

What heavy support options are good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 03:26 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Good news - Dire Avengers aren't a no-no, consider them merely Black Guardians with proper guns and armour since Black Guardians are no longer an option.

Bad news - you're using an old codex (if you find it) as Seer Councils no longer exist per se. You still get Warlock retinues for Farseers, but you can only ever field 2 FSs, as you only have 2 HQ slots. Sorry.

Also Fire Dragons are better than Wraithguard, and Falcons don't suck if they have EMLs or Bright Lances and are used as gunboats. Scatter Lasers are also popular...but I remain unconvinced. Fire Prisms rock the proverbial casbah. Wave Serpents are fantastic, but none is better than one, in most cases.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-09, 08:33 PM

zas240's Flag is: Wales

yep only two HQs now, and about half of your points should go on your seer council (if you are a true Ulthuwau player) also the only reson that people avoid wraith guard is because they cost £8 each, which is more than grey knight terminators, but who wouldn't like strength 5 tughness 6 dudes with wepons that wound on a two plus on anyting, and AP2. And they can be taken as troops in squads of ten with a spiritseer.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-09, 10:46 PM

I find Wraithguard as a little too expensive for an elite choice, but as a troop choice... They would be a great unit for 399 points.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 12:04 AM

Storm guardians and dire avengers should be your troops. Just take storm guardians with 2 fusion guns, and a warlock with singing spear for antitank, and dire avengers with bladestorm for anti horde. Also, warwalkers and weapon platforms fit the bill nicely for ulthwe. I recommend a 3 man warwalker squad with all shuriken cannons for cheesy, as it outflanks, and unloads 18 shots at s6 per turn, for 120 pts. Wraithlords are ok. Falcons are ok. They are easy to use and perform consistently, but things like warwalkers in the hands of a great general have far more potential to deal damage for less pts. Also, definetly take farseers with warlock bodyguards. 1 farseer with doom and 5 warlocks who all have destructor will kill anything from a deepstriking termy squad to dreadnoughts (singing spears) to orks. They are also my answer for landraiders. I recommend on bikes (ulthwe strikeforce) as it allows you to move forward, shoot and assault rather than just move forward and disembark and shoot.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 04:47 AM

I like to use Uldrand with 3 warlocks in the back of a Falcon, fly max speed first turn so I get my 3+ invuln with re-roll from psychic power then I deploy turn 2 under cover from my sniper teams. I usually have a Striking Scorpion squad close by to assist in close combat and Warp Spiders close behind. Tie them up while my Jet Bikes capture objectives.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 06:00 AM

Cheese Ulthwe list:
120 guardians ( A horde of 5+ cover saves )
Avatar ( to make them all fearless )
Eldrad with a warlock posse ( Everyone uses him, but its actually FLUFFY for you! )
Still have points for a little extra I believe?

"Bide your time and hold out hope"
-The Count of Monte Cristo

Last edited by Desolatemm; 04-08-09 at 06:14 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 05:12 PM

OMG!!! DO THAT LAST LIST!!! IT'S HEAVEN!!! (sorry, but it is my dream army) Plenty of antitank with Avatar and Melta Guns. Guardians can focus on troops. Eldrad's group will just buff and destroy things. This is the Glorious Eldar Swarm! Rare because it is a of money on the table for all these models to have to store, but someday... someday...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 10:49 PM

It really isn't that effective.... Sorry to burst your bubble... I actually witnessed it in all of its glory, and I wrecked it. I actually see it get wrecked every saturday at my local hobby center. A much more effective list is 60 storm guardians all in waveserpents. The problem is that a)a rapid firing space marine squad with a flamer can make u run away (i saw about 10 casualties being dealt, which meant that if the eldar player failed, he was gone) b)you do not do much damage (this is not a problem for mobile armies as you can rely on not taking damage, but with a static list, you better dish it out to limit your enemy's movement) and c)guardians are 8 pts per model, and are just barely better than guardsmen! You CANNOT use an 8 pt model as cannon fodder and expect to win.... oh well, this army was not meant to win, but I have not the heart to tell this guy at my store that he needs mobility, after he has already bought something like 18 boxes of storm guardians and 20 warlocks....
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-09, 02:54 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

I have been thinking about the prospect of running 6 Storm Serpents, with 2 flamers apiece...it'd certainly be an interesting list, I'll post it when I'm done. How did the Guardians flee, did the Avatar get killed early? A Fortune not enough to keep him alive?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode