1750 points of Eldar Aspect warriors - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Default 1750 points of Eldar Aspect warriors

Hi, I've a 1750pt game coming up against a mate's tyranids - they aren't optimised for 6th (they were in a cupboard for years) so I'm taking the opportunity to take an all aspect warrior army.
Any tips for trying this in 6th? (apart from "don't")
Am I wasting points anywhere? (apart from "only on the aspect warriors")
Are there any aspects which will do a better job than the ones I've chosen? (apart from "yes, the new 'wave serpent aspect' pilots"...)

In case you haven't guessed, the theme is aspect warriors - please don't just say 'need moar serpents'

The Farseer is going with the Dark Reapers and rolling for ignores cover/4++ and taking prescience. Divination appears to have less 'bad' powers than the eldar table.

The scorpions infiltrate near the front of my army and act as a skirmish screen.
The Hawks are going backfield hunting and trying for weak synapse creatures and any artillery if they can.
The spiders are going to go where they are most needed and the fire dragons are going monster hunting.
The Avatar is there to make sure no-one gets any ideas about making a break for it. And to kick some gribbly teeth in.
I'm aware I may not have anything left by turn three

Any advice will be appreciated as always

Monster Hunter
Disaming Strike

Farseer 100

10 x dire avengers 160
power weapon and shimmershield
Exarch

10 x dire avengers 160
Exarch

10 Swooping Hawks 195
Exarch
Night Vision
Hawks Talon

10 Warp Spiders 210
Exarch
Fast Shot

10 Striking Scorpions 225
Exarch
Scorpions claw
Monster Hunter
Crushing Blow

8 Fire Dragons 211
Exarch
Firepike
Fast Shot

6 Dark Reapers 263
Starshot Missiles
Exarch
Night Vision
Fast Shot
Exarch Launcher

Last edited by Gret79; 01-29-14 at 08:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 02:26 PM
Autarch of Heresy

Ragewind's Flag is: USA

Monster Hunter
Disaming Strike

-You don't really need Disarming strike, but otherwise he is fine.

Farseer 100

-Yup

10 x dire avengers 160
Exarch

-You won't really need the shimmer sheild but it will be sueful if you run into a MC or some genestealers, ideally you should prevent them from getting into CC so they can continue to shoot.

10 x dire avengers 160
Exarch

-Same as above

10 Swooping Hawks 195
Exarch
Night Vision
Hawks Talon

-Unless you really want the BS 5, you don't need the exarch or the extra upgrades on him.

10 Warp Spiders 210
Exarch
Fast Shot

-Doesn't REALLY need fast shot, it doesn't hurt, but it isn't required since they will generally kill whatever when they shoot anyway.

10 Striking Scorpions 225
Exarch
Scorpions claw
Monster Hunter
Crushing Blow

-Seems good, you might want too keep these guys splayed out in front of the Avengers so they can absorb a charge, if you infiltrate them up they will die quickly vs nids.

8 Fire Dragons 211
Exarch
Firepike
Fast Shot

-Take the dragons breath flamer

6 Dark Reapers 263
Starshot Missiles
Exarch
Night Vision
Fast Shot
Exarch Launcher

-Make these guys 8-10, remove Night Vision, and they will win you the game. (keep night vision if you have the left over points)

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

So if I drop the shimmershields (shame, I've got the old exarchs with powerswords and I like wysiwyg but oh well ) that takes me to 7 dark reapers.

I was taking the exarch on the hawks because he can ignore night fighting and I wanted to be shooting a lot from turn 1, but if I reserve them and come on using herald of victory then I can save points there.

So thats 27 pts saved and I need another 11 to get me to 38.

The Exarch on the dragons has a firepike as that means I can allocate wounds at up to 18" inches rather than 12" which is almost as good as a range increase - I'm a bit loath to drop that, so if I drop an avenger, that gets me to 8 Dark Reapers and 2 points spare?
I wanted to keep night vision on the reapers as if I roll well on divination, that would now mean I can put out 8 krak or 16 St5 ap3 missiles at 48" that ignore cover and ignore the night fighting restriction of 36" for targeting.

Are those tweaks worth doing or should I really look at the firepike as an excess?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 03:21 PM
Autarch of Heresy

Ragewind's Flag is: USA

Well I like your reasoning for the Firepike, thats actually clever and I will have to use it myself. However lets consider those Dragons will be walking along the table, they are most likely to get charged by Stealers or Gaunts. Something big like a carifex won't make it especially if you screen them with some avengers, a Heavy Flamer will be more useful at killing the smaller bugs and will allow you to get some guaranteed kills on Overwatch.

Its more of a preference, but ask yourself this. Is that single Str 8 shot at 18' worth giving up a single Str 8 shot at 48? Which will net you more shooting time? Those Reapers will be absolutely destroying the enemy (keep them alive), I think its worth giving them another wound and shot compared to the Dragons.

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I'm sold.

I'll re-work the list with more reapers and less dragons
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 05:34 PM

The Irish Commissar's Flag is: Ireland

Maybe not this list as you seem to have this well rounded but i think having phoenix lord kanadres is great when fighting tyranids. Send him into any monstrous creature and he probably has a good chance of killing them even on full wounds and considering this is an old list i would expect a lot of carnafixs. Also may i recommend the sun rifle on the swooping hawk exarch. The ability to blind is nearly too good to miss (bs1 and ws1 for the win). You could use it against shooty big things or make an entire squad of hormagaunts ws1

6th Edition. 7th Edition

Eldar. Eldar
W14-D1-L4. W2-D0-L0

Imperial guard
W3-D2-L1

Space marine's
W0-D0-L0
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Karandras would be a good choice vs nids in general - he's almost designed to take them out. Definitely joint top with Asurmen on the 'best phoenix lord list'

I really like the idea of the sunrifle - although it would change my hawks usage - I'd keep them on my side at that point and use them to blind whatever was fighting the scorpions.
I'll have to look up the rules tonight when I'm in.

Thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 03:03 PM

The Irish Commissar's Flag is: Ireland

Just remember tyranid monstrous creatures have low initiative usually 1 or 2 so the perfect for blinding and then following up with a scorpion charge.

6th Edition. 7th Edition

Eldar. Eldar
W14-D1-L4. W2-D0-L0

Imperial guard
W3-D2-L1

Space marine's
W0-D0-L0

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode