1500pt Competitive Eldar - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-13, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Minigiant's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default 1500pt Competitive Eldar

Hello everyone

As i haven't been able to write an Eldar/Dark Eldar Alliance list up that i am satisfied with im going to just use my Eldar for the tournament this weekend. I have yet to play with my eldar since the new release as i still love my Tau. Anyway so this is my first competitive eldar with no allies list i have written based on what i have read from all you people out there.

My Meta and definition of top tier competitive play, is that of army lists that are capable of winning adepticon with a bit of dice luck and being piloted correctly. The main opponents to this list will be Necrons occasionally with allies with Grey Knight next up and very recently Tau have been appearing (I like to think i showed them to the Greater good). The Two best players in our group are still playing the same armies that they were when they were released and that is a Wraithwing list with Dark Eldar allies and the other in a Tervigon swarm list. I must say I do see a lot of Heldrakes and Imperial guard blob squads but both of those are only ever seen as an allied contingent. As you can see the field has variety and strength so i just hope you think my list can handle those type of things.

The game plan isn't an elegant one for Eldar and that is to just blast my opponent off the board this will be achieved by a sort of ‘Hopping’ Anvil of Fire Prisms and Wave Serpents. That make the most of Shields if going second and their Jink save and positioning later on, to cause as maximum damage as possible with support of the Mantleseer. The Dire avengers main role is to capture objectives and just be safe and hug terrain in desperate times. Whatever they do they must just stay alive (and dont get bit). Opponents that use a lot of painful flame templates (Heldrakes, Helhounds etc) the Dire Avengers will wait until the last possible moment to disembark all at the same time if those nuisances haven't been destroyed by overwhelming fire power

So the Army list:

HQ - Farseer: 155 Points
Jetbike; Mantle of the laughing god
The Warlord. The Farseer has incredibly survivability except against Tau. Will be using the Runes of Fate to increase my damage output to maximum potential

ELITES - 5 Fire Dragons: 110 Points
TRANSPORT - Wave Serpent: 130 Points
T-L Scatter laser; Shuriken cannon
These are one half of the department of Heavy AT. Fire Dragons get you an almost guaranteed vehicle kill regardless of what it is and also provide the crucial 4th Wave Serpent to guarantee enough mass fire for AA removing the need to any dedicated AA units.

TROOPS - 5 Dire Avengers: 65 Points

The Core of the army and are mainly here as Gunboats thanks to there ferocious firepower. As already mentioned the Dire Avengers are primarily here to capture objectives and anything else they may achieve is an added bonus

HEAVY SUPPORT - Fire Prism: 140 Points
Holo-field

Holo-field
Fire Prisms have the benefit of being a fraction of the cost of my main two heavy AT but they are also very well rounded thanks to providing so much needed anti-infantry fire to deal with those pesky hordes, and they're not bad at dealing with heavy infantry like marines either.

HEAVY SUPPORT - Wraithknight: 240 Points
Finally the Big Boy, the 2nd half of the department of Heavy AT. Its also incredibly mobile so is able to keep up with the rest of my skimmers but what it brings to the table is far more than damage output but also damage absorption, people shoot and shoot at these things and sometimes fail to see the rest of the army going about there daily business completely unhindered.

So there we have it 1500pts on the nose. Overall what do you think? It looks like it could work very effectively

Last edited by Minigiant; 10-26-13 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-13, 04:57 AM

I think you might be better off rolling Divination for the Farseer, especially if you are looking for a damage booster. Divination can give you the rerolls Guide would, force rerolled saves with Misfortune (which helps more than Doom since you would generally wound most things on a 2+), can give that Wraithknight an invul save, etc. I would consider taking both guide and prescience. Taking both would help the Prisms/Knight find their targets.

Last edited by Styro-J; 10-25-13 at 06:24 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-13, 01:37 PM

ew_holmes's Flag is: Canada

I've got to agree with Styro-J on this - not sure what spells you had in mind in Fate, but nothing IMO really out-damages Divination/Fate.

Forewarning, Prescience, Guide, Fortune, Doom will all greatly improve your damage output - bladestorm + doom is awesome. 4 SL serpents + doom against a MC is even better.

Like Styro said, Wraithknight will GREATLY benefit from prescience, since that affects combat too - and guide will help a fireprism find any tanks it needs to hit - it's still only 1 shot

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-13, 04:46 AM
Autarch of Heresy

Ragewind's Flag is: USA

1) I'm not sure a Farseer would actually need a Mantle. It works for the reason you are taking it, but in general most Farseers are tucked away in a squad of something. you MIGHT find better use for those 40 points but YMMV.

2) Since the Fire Dragons are going to be rushing the enemy its not required to give the serpent a SL or even a under-slung cannon. Since you are >Most< likely going to lose that tank after it arrives its best to keep it on the cheap side. you get a 15 point savings in removing the aforementioned items which may be useful somewhere else.

3) The avengers and their rides are all standard and seem fine, especially considering you have some nice AT in the heavy support slot.

4) Fire Prism are perfect, Gj

5) Wraithknight is perfect, GJ

The main thing this list is lacking is someway to handle large 2+ units. For example, if you fought a Draigowing in this tourney (and it will be likley as they are tough to deal with at 2k) you don't really have much besides the Prisms and the Dragons that can reliably dent the unit AND deal with the rest of the army. If you can find the points you should upgrade the Dragons to Wraithguard with D-Scythes as you have PLENTY of power ranged AT and won't need those Fire Dragons on average except for the rogue deepstriking MC, even then the Guard might do it as well since they ID on a 6.

Regardless the list looks fine, no AA< but at the same time you can just tank hits from most AA given what you have. Your biggest enemy will be Vendettas, Storm Ravens, and Helldrakes with a Hades Auto Cannon.

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-13, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Minigiant's Flag is: United Kingdom

Tournament starts in a few hours so a quick moment to reply and most my updated list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styro-J View Post
I think you might be better off rolling Divination for the Farseer, especially if you are looking for a damage booster. Divination can give you the rerolls Guide would, force rerolled saves with Misfortune (which helps more than Doom since you would generally wound most things on a 2+), can give that Wraithknight an invul save, etc. I would consider taking both guide and prescience. Taking both would help the Prisms/Knight find their targets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ew_holmes View Post
I've got to agree with Styro-J on this - not sure what spells you had in mind in Fate, but nothing IMO really out-damages Divination/Fate.

Forewarning, Prescience, Guide, Fortune, Doom will all greatly improve your damage output - bladestorm + doom is awesome. 4 SL serpents + doom against a MC is even better.

Like Styro said, Wraithknight will GREATLY benefit from prescience, since that affects combat too - and guide will help a fireprism find any tanks it needs to hit - it's still only 1 shot
Thank you for the advice, im new to the Psychic power things in 6th so what your saying is roll once on runes of fate table to grab guide and then roll the other two on Divination to get Prescience + something handy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragewind View Post
1) I'm not sure a Farseer would actually need a Mantle. It works for the reason you are taking it, but in general most Farseers are tucked away in a squad of something. you MIGHT find better use for those 40 points but YMMV.

2) Since the Fire Dragons are going to be rushing the enemy its not required to give the serpent a SL or even a under-slung cannon. Since you are >Most< likely going to lose that tank after it arrives its best to keep it on the cheap side. you get a 15 point savings in removing the aforementioned items which may be useful somewhere else.

3) The avengers and their rides are all standard and seem fine, especially considering you have some nice AT in the heavy support slot.

4) Fire Prism are perfect, Gj

5) Wraithknight is perfect, GJ

The main thing this list is lacking is someway to handle large 2+ units. For example, if you fought a Draigowing in this tourney (and it will be likley as they are tough to deal with at 2k) you don't really have much besides the Prisms and the Dragons that can reliably dent the unit AND deal with the rest of the army. If you can find the points you should upgrade the Dragons to Wraithguard with D-Scythes as you have PLENTY of power ranged AT and won't need those Fire Dragons on average except for the rogue deepstriking MC, even then the Guard might do it as well since they ID on a 6.

Regardless the list looks fine, no AA< but at the same time you can just tank hits from most AA given what you have. Your biggest enemy will be Vendettas, Storm Ravens, and Helldrakes with a Hades Auto Cannon.
Thank you for the advice

1) I disagree with you here i cant afford to drop the mantle because its a waste if he joins a unit inside a transport. This way he is mobile and can be a force multiplier from the beginning

2) Yes you couldnt be more correct so instead of downgrading my serpent because they would be a suicide squad i have dropped them for a Crimson Hunter exarch which adds to my AA, maintains some AT (I do have a lot)

3/4/5) Cheers

Draigowing are indeed a pain at 2K good thing this is 1500pts but 2+ doesnt look like it will be that much of a big deal because every unit i have except the farseer can become AP2

Well i do believe 4 Wave serpents would have been sufficient enough for AA but that area is now strengthened thanks to the crimson hunter.

Anyway here is Mark II of the list:

HQ - Farseer: 170 Points
Jetbike; Mantle of the laughing god; Runes of Witnessing

TRANSPORT - Wave Serpent: 145 Points
T-L Scatter laser; Shuriken cannon; Holo-field

FAST ATTACK: Crimson Hunter: 180pts
Exarch

Holo-field

Holo-field

HEAVY SUPPORT - Wraithknight: 240 Points

So there we have it, Version 2.0 1500/1500 Points
How is the list looking now?

Last edited by Minigiant; 10-26-13 at 03:19 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-13, 05:08 PM

Deathypoo's Flag is: USA

looks good to me, let us know how it goes
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-13, 02:10 PM

ew_holmes's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minigiant View Post
Thank you for the advice, im new to the Psychic power things in 6th so what your saying is roll once on runes of fate table to grab guide and then roll the other two on Divination to get Prescience + something handy?
Similar. This is what I'd do if Divination is what you're wanting primarily:

Roll 1: Divination - keep foreboding/forewarning/any other spell that you want. Take primaris Prescience if you get something crappy.

Roll 2: roll on the Fate table and try and get a good spell from there (Fortune, Doom). Again take primaris fallback.

Roll 3: If in either Roll 1 or 2, you got a good spell, Roll again in that table. This way you can go for another good spell, or just automatically take the primaris.

If both rolls were bad and you got primaris for both Roll 1 and 2, you can take a chance on one of those tables again, or even try a roll in Battle or Telepathy - all 4 primaris are decent.

If both Rolls 1 and 2 were good, then use the following logic for which primaris you want:

- If you have a more combat-heavy army take Prescience over Guide, as it affects combat hits as well.
- Otherwise, take Guide for the extra 12" range.

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode