1500pt Tournament competitive Eldar/Dark Eldar army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-13, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Minigiant's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default 1500pt Tournament competitive Eldar/Dark Eldar army

So i have mainly been playing my eldar over the last few years as a modelling project all for the love of the aesthetics of the model ranges and the new eldar book gave me even more beautiful models to use and because they are all painted now i thought i would enter them into a tournament to see how my painting score stacks up against all others in the surrounding area; however im not someone who takes an army to a tournament that isn't optimised for the job in hand so i pesent to you my proposed list of Eldar and Dark Eldar allies:

Farseer 120pts
Jetbike; Singing spear

10 Dire Avengers 130pts
Wave Serpent 130pts
T-L Scatter laser
Shuriken cannon

3 Jetbikes 51pts

3 Jetbikes 51pts

Crimson Hunter Exarch 180pts

Fire Prism 140pt
Holo-field

Fire Prism 140pt
Holo-field

Archon 60pts

5 Warriors 55
Splinter cannon

Venom 65pts
Splinter cannon

5 Warriors 55
Splinter cannon

Venom 65pts
Splinter cannon

4 Kabalite trueborn 78pts
2 Blasters

Venom 65pts
Splinter cannon

Ravager 115pts
Flickerfield, Disintegrator cannons

So what do you think?

I think it presents my opponent multiple targets with every single one able to dish out considerable damage if allowed to get out of hand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-13, 05:31 AM
Autarch of Heresy

Ragewind's Flag is: USA

I don't have much time right now but I did notice a few things real quick

a Heamonculus for 50 is cheaper than a naked archon for 60.

The Warriors are fine, but you are lacking in ranged AT< might want to make 1-2 have Lances instead

whyyyyyyyyy would you take Dissys on the Ravager, make those Lances! also a nightsheild is better for the ravager as you will get cover easy, better to subtract 6 from their ranges and avoid damage than make saves.

Jetbikes are fine but would be better with cannons

You don't need the Exarch on the Crimson Hunter, turn those 20 into cannons for the bikes

Avengers are fine, but if you are taking 10 you plan on them getting out, might want to make it x9 and put a cannon on the Serpent, and find 15 points somewhere to give it Holo-Feilds

Farseer is fine

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

So i have taken on a lot of advice and have modified the list to this:

Farseer 100pts

10 Guardians 90pts
Wave Serpent 130pts
T-L Scatter laser
Shuriken cannon

10 Guardians 90pts
Wave Serpent 130pts
T-L Scatter laser
Shuriken cannon

3 Shadow weavers 90pts

Fire Prism 140pt
Holo-field

Haemonculus 60pts
- Liquifier gun
5 Wyches 60pts
Haywire grenades

Venom 65pts
Splinter cannon

5 Wyches 60pts
Haywire grenades

Venom 65pts
Splinter cannon

3 Kabalite trueborn 56pts
2 Splinter cannons

Venom 65pts
Splinter cannon

Ravager 115pts
Nightshield

Total:
1496pts

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 04:32 AM
Autarch of Heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minigiant View Post
So i have taken on a lot of advice and have modified the list to this:

Farseer 100pts

10 Guardians 90pts
Wave Serpent 130pts
T-L Scatter laser
Shuriken cannon

10 Guardians 90pts
Wave Serpent 130pts
T-L Scatter laser
Shuriken cannon

3 Shadow weavers 90pts

Fire Prism 140pt
Holo-field

Haemonculus 60pts
- Liquifier gun
5 Wyches 60pts
Haywire grenades

Venom 65pts
Splinter cannon

5 Wyches 60pts
Haywire grenades

Venom 65pts
Splinter cannon

3 Kabalite trueborn 56pts
2 Splinter cannons

Venom 65pts
Splinter cannon

Ravager 115pts
Nightshield

Total:
1496pts
I like the second one a lot better, and I am going to be very honest with you. In a tourney setting, a single flyer stands no chance. If it was AV 12 like a Storm Raven then yea, I can see maybe bringing one since people like to spam Str 7, but a AV 10 flyer will probably not live past the turn it arrives due to Interceptor. You will be much better off replacing the 180 points you are spending on that Hunter. Now if you were bringing 3 of them and a Jetfighter from the DE then it wouldn't be so bad since you can survive attrition, however right now your list is not configured as such.

Also as a rule of thumb you want to be able to kill 3 AV 12 vehicles a turn and 2 AV 14 vehicles a turn(the duties can be combined in the case of certain units) Right now if I was to play say.. IG you would not be able to stop me from advancing with 3 Chimeras, since you only have 1 Fire Prism and 1 Ravager. I know the Hunter would typically fufill that role but you want the AT on the table turn 1 to prevent advances and redelpoys. And as I mentioned before the Hunter prob won't do anything as everyone can being a Defense line with a Quad Gun. IF YOU CAN a second Fire Prism or a Wraithlord with Double Lances would go a long ways in helping your AT (or some Reavers with Fusion Lances)

EDIT: You can prob squeeze through by giving one or both of the serpents a Bright Lance, it doesn't quite mesh well with the cannon, but an enemy cannot typically drop one or both of your serpents in 1 turn giving you the ability to damage certain targets. That is more of a preference however, not something you have to do by any means.

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

Last edited by Ragewind; 10-18-13 at 05:41 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 01:55 PM

ew_holmes's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragewind View Post
I like the second one a lot better, and I am going to be very honest with you. In a tourney setting, a single flyer stands no chance. If it was AV 12 like a Storm Raven then yea, I can see maybe bringing one since people like to spam Str 7, but a AV 10 flyer will probably not live past the turn it arrives due to Interceptor. You will be much better off replacing the 180 points you are spending on that Hunter. Now if you were bringing 3 of them and a Jetfighter from the DE then it wouldn't be so bad since you can survive attrition, however right now your list is not configured as such.

Also as a rule of thumb you want to be able to kill 3 AV 12 vehicles a turn and 2 AV 14 vehicles a turn(the duties can be combined in the case of certain units) Right now if I was to play say.. IG you would not be able to stop me from advancing with 3 Chimeras, since you only have 1 Fire Prism and 1 Ravager. I know the Hunter would typically fufill that role but you want the AT on the table turn 1 to prevent advances and redelpoys. And as I mentioned before the Hunter prob won't do anything as everyone can being a Defense line with a Quad Gun. IF YOU CAN a second Fire Prism or a Wraithlord with Double Lances would go a long ways in helping your AT (or some Reavers with Fusion Lances)
Great points Rage. IG is STILL one of the most competitive armies right now (at least in my circle), a mech IG list with 6 chimeras and 7 artillery tanks ruined the last tournament for our most competitive players. Mind you nobody ran super-OP lists except this guy..

I'd love to see you write a COMPETITIVE tactics article with a unit breakdown. Maybe not-so-much every HQ choice (since many of them are near-void in a competitive setting), but which units are clear winners/losers, and maybe a couple examples of complimentary units (not full lists).

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 06:01 PM
Autarch of Heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ew_holmes View Post
I'd love to see you write a COMPETITIVE tactics article with a unit breakdown. Maybe not-so-much every HQ choice (since many of them are near-void in a competitive setting), but which units are clear winners/losers, and maybe a couple examples of complimentary units (not full lists).
I actually have completed my newest guide since like 6 months ago. I've rewritten it 4 times and I just can't seem to like the finished product. Once I get to the point when I like what I am posting i'll throw it up.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragewind View Post

Also as a rule of thumb you want to be able to kill 3 AV 12 vehicles a turn and 2 AV 14 vehicles a turn(the duties can be combined in the case of certain units) Right now if I was to play say.. IG you would not be able to stop me from advancing with 3 Chimeras, since you only have 1 Fire Prism and 1 Ravager. I know the Hunter would typically fufill that role but you want the AT on the table turn 1 to prevent advances and redelpoys. And as I mentioned before the Hunter prob won't do anything as everyone can being a Defense line with a Quad Gun. IF YOU CAN a second Fire Prism or a Wraithlord with Double Lances would go a long ways in helping your AT (or some Reavers with Fusion Lances).

EDIT: You can prob squeeze through by giving one or both of the serpents a Bright Lance, it doesn't quite mesh well with the cannon, but an enemy cannot typically drop one or both of your serpents in 1 turn giving you the ability to damage certain targets. That is more of a preference however, not something you have to do by any means.

You make a very valid point but by dropping it i lose my main AA so how do you suggest i deal with that?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 06:33 PM
Autarch of Heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minigiant View Post
You make a very valid point but by dropping it i lose my main AA so how do you suggest i deal with that?
You can turn it into a Defense line weapon for like half the cost. A well placed Icarus Cannon or Quad Gun can fire on enemy air every turn and be out of most return fire.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode