Starting a Eldar Army Looking for Feedback - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-13, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

warlock5184's Flag is: USA

Default Starting a Eldar Army Looking for Feedback

After a short break I'm getting back into warhammer 40k with my Blood Angle army basicly finished (its an aggressive competitive setup) decided to start a new army looked over what has come out and went with Eldar. Figure its going to be 1500 setup with a few extra to mix it up some from time to time, its going to be semi-competitive. Thinking of using Prince Yriel as my main HQ liked his gear and special rules. Was thinking of using Yriel with a unit of Banshees in a Wave Serpent. Also thinking of using a Farseer or maybe a warlocks with a guardian unit. For Troops one guardian squad with a scatter laser bunker-ed in an Aegis Defense Line, squad of dire avenger in a wave serpent and a unit of Rangers. For heavy support some war walkers two squads of two and if any points left over a waithlord. That my current army idea just looking for a little feedback before I write out my first list. Any help is greatly welcome.

Is Yriel worth taking? Any unit combos he works best with? Any reason not to take him?
How many Guardians should I take with the Aegis Defense Line? Currently thinking 15.
Is a Warlock a must take for Guardians?
How effective are Dire Avenger? Should I upgrade the Exarch at all?
How good are War Walkers? Best overall upgrades for all comers list? Flanking them good idea?
Waithlord range, melee or mixed build on upgrades?
On Wave Serpent other then cover save machine upgrade any others worth looking into?
After talking it over with a friend who plays Eldar looks like farseer got hit hard with new codex are they worth taking? If so which Psychic power works overall best?
Overall Howling Banshees look like a great melee unit, any downsides to them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-13, 02:26 PM

ew_holmes's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock5184 View Post
Is Yriel worth taking? Any unit combos he works best with? Any reason not to take him?
Any HQ can be fun. He's gotten SLIGHTLY worse than last edition (used to ignore armor), but definitely still work taking (maybe not in a tournament).

How many Guardians should I take with the Aegis Defense Line? Currently thinking 15.
I'd take no more than 15. Usually 10. However, I suggest using a Dark Reaper/Fire Dragon exarch for fast shot on the Quadgun

Is a Warlock a must take for Guardians?
Footdar - yes. Jetbikes, no - IMO.

How effective are Dire Avenger? Should I upgrade the Exarch at all?
Dire Avengers are great - they have some extra range for keeping out of combat (as opposed to guardians), but don't waste points on the exarch.

How good are War Walkers? Best overall upgrades for all comers list? Flanking them good idea?
Warwalkers are great - use dual SLs, still the best combo.

Waithlord range, melee or mixed build on upgrades?
Wraithlords can be anything! I'd personally run either dual BL, BL SL, or SL SL. Sword can be fun!

On Wave Serpent other then cover save machine upgrade any others worth looking into?
Wave serpents shouldn't be anything except Scatterlaser, Shurcannon, Holofields. 145 pts of awesome.

After talking it over with a friend who plays Eldar looks like farseer got hit hard with new codex are they worth taking? If so which Psychic power works overall best?
They got hurt a bit, but can effectively double-guide every turn. I roll on the Eldar table and hope for fortune/doom. If I don't get it, drop to Guide and try again. So I usually end up with Guide + Prescience + random Eldar power.

Overall Howling Banshees look like a great melee unit, any downsides to them?
Eldar don't have assault vehicles. In this codex I avoid melee altogether (except maybe shining spears or jetbike council). T3 with 4+ save will get mowed down before they get into combat.

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Last edited by ew_holmes; 08-20-13 at 02:44 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-13, 03:11 PM

I second what ew holmes says other than.
Dire avengers are hardly great jetbikes and wraithguard are great, guardians are all right ,dire avengers are better than storm guardians and imo worse than guardians. But then im just bitter cos of the stupid new pricing and reboxing.

Last edited by seermaster; 08-20-13 at 03:14 PM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-13, 04:19 PM

Amen, seermaster. Luckily I had mine before the repackaging and what, 30% price increase?

The main reasons I think DA are comparable to Guardians are:
- don't get cooked by normal flamers (4+ armor)
- extra range keeps them out of combat quite easily against normal infantry.

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Last edited by ew_holmes; 08-20-13 at 04:25 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-13, 04:28 PM

We Eldar players really got a boost with the new codex, and now can be quite competitive! I am not sure what you mean by 'semi-competitive', so I will speak to what I think is great to take, given that I believe in speed, long range hitting power, surprise, pressure, and keeping the initiative, among other considerations.

I start with troops, and regularly take both guardians with wave serpents, and guardians on jetbikes. An autarch on a jetbike is a regular HQ choice, and with mantle, fusion gun and lance it can be dangerous.

After that, it depends on what I am expecting to face in blind tournaments. Shining spears (my personal favorite unit, though its lance is weakened somewhat from the previous codex), war walkers, a crimson hunter, and the controversial wraithknight keep coming up in my lists of late. Fire prisms compete for space on my lists with the wraithknight, and lately I have been leaning towards the wraithknight with the scatter lasers/suncannon loadout.

I don't believe that specialized eldar infantry is generally wise to take in blind tournaments, so I just take the generic 10-man guardian squad with a support weapon that complements the army, and a wave serpent transport. Now, many eldar players like warp spiders and harlequins- I guess its a style thing more than a competitive thing. The jetbike guardians provide more in terms of gaming advantages, imho.

Welcome to the path of the Eldar, warlock 5184! Good hunting!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-13, 10:46 AM

The Irish Commissar's Flag is: Ireland

I find there are a lot of unit that are very nice to have in a list. Such things like jetbikes either in 3,6, or 9 with a cannon for each number of 3s u take. ( squad of nine has 3 why a squad of three has 1.)
Other units such as wraithguard in a waveserpent are really good especially with d-scythes. Wraithknights and prism are both excellent heavy supports as big rob mention but dark reapers could do with a fair mention to. With a farseer go with all primaris power for each discipline, so guide, prescience and psychic shriek. This gives double twinlinking and a nasty offensive power. Warps spider and war walkers are other good units depending on the player. If your stuck about what to pick look at ragewinds guide to eldar in the eldar tactics section. Hope that helps

6th Edition. 7th Edition

Eldar. Eldar
W14-D1-L4. W2-D0-L0

Imperial guard
W3-D2-L1

Space marine's
W0-D0-L0
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-13, 10:16 PM

Ew holmes when did I say 30 percent price increase ?
I had 20 but chopped ten up for seer council on bikes. Then tried to buy twenty before release and was sent the five man boxes ,needless to say I sent them back and got a redfund.
And jetbikes wraithguard serpant are too good not to take really.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-13, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

warlock5184's Flag is: USA

First off thanks to everyone for their feedback gave me some info to work with. Planned to post sooner but work gave me some over time . Here what I come up with comments, criticism welcome.

HQ -
Prince Yriel 140pts Joins Banshees

Farseer 105pts Joins Dire Avengers
(Singing Spear) Not sure on all Powers yet one will be Prescience

Warlock 40pts Joins Guardians
(Singing Spear)

Elites -
Howling Banshees 120pts with Wave Serpent 145pts
(6 Models, Exarch Disarming Strike & Shield of Grace) (Holo-Fields, TL Scatter Laser, TL Shurkien Cannon)

Troops -
Dire Avengers 130pts with Wave Serpent 145pts
(10 Models) (Holo-Fields, TL Scatter Laser, TL Shurkien Cannon)

Guardian Defender 110pts
(10 Models, Scatter Laser)

Ranger 120pts
(10 Model)

Heavy Support -
War Walker Squadron 180pts
(3 Walker)

Wraithlord 165pts
(Ghostglaive, Scatter Laser, Blight Lance)

Fortification -
Aegis Defense Line 100pts
(Quad-Gun)

Total: 1500pts

Last edited by warlock5184; 08-24-13 at 11:15 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-13, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seermaster View Post
Ew holmes when did I say 30 percent price increase ?
No, I was saying they increased the price by roughly 30% on the exact same box set. Not saying you said it!

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-13, 02:25 PM

oh right misread that

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode