1500 Points Against Landlocked Space Marines - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Default 1500 Points Against Landlocked Space Marines

I am going to be playing against a friend who runs SM with no fliers or drop pods next Monday. After my last thread, I constructed this list based loosely off of some of Ragewind's advice. I would love any advice that anyone has. My friend and I have agreed that we can be up to ten points over and that we can proxy, as long as we are clear about what is what.

HQ-350 Points:
Eldrad Ulthran-210
Farseer W/Doom, Fortune, Spirit Stones & Runes of Witnessing-140
(Both of these gentlemen ride with the Wraithguard)

Troops-571:
3 Guardian Jetbikes W/Shuriken Cannon & 1 Warlock W/Destructor-131
10 Guardian Defenders W/Starcannon & 1 Warlock W/Singing Speer & Embolden-141
7 Pathfinders-168

Elites-290:
5 Wraithguard In a Wave Serpent W/Star Engines & Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannons-290

Heavy Support-294:
3 Dark Reapers Including an Exarch W/Tempest Launcher & Crack Shot
3 Dark Reapers Including an Exarch W/Tempest Launcher & Crack Shot

Total Points: 1,505

The idea here is to disrupt his forces as much as possible with my Wraithguard/HQ unit, while the Pathfinders snipe at key Targets that are Doomed by the Farseer, the Guardians hold objectives close to my DZ and tarpit, the Jetbikes execute Hit-and-Run attacks and contest/claim last minute and the Reapers sit on different sides of the table from each other, hide and do what they do best. Thanks for looking and please let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 03:24 PM

ew_holmes's Flag is: Canada

If he has any heavy armor, you're going to have a tough time cracking it. Wraithguard will be his first target, and if you can't get across the board to him quick enough, those AV13-14 tanks will not die.

Other than that, looks awesome - Dark Reapers rain hell on Marines! ;)

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ew_holmes View Post
If he has any heavy armor, you're going to have a tough time cracking it. Wraithguard will be his first target, and if you can't get across the board to him quick enough, those AV13-14 tanks will not die.
He has what I think is a Land Raider and what I know is a Whirlwind, but everything else of his is dedicated transport. Thank you for pointing out that flaw. I can't check points right now, but maybe I'll swap out one of the Reaper units or the footslogging Guardians for a unit of rubber-banding Hawks if I see he's bringing the Raider. Any thoughts on that? Any better units to take out for that?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 06:07 PM

I would take out the Guardians, as they are generally way less effective than Dark Reapers. Just keep your bikes off the table and come in on reserves, that will keep them alive longer.
I would recommend a Wraithlord with BL/EML, gives another taste of Wraithbone to the list, as well as giving a "high priority target" to the opponnent - may soak up some fire that would do much more damage to Reapers/Wraithguard.

Also, Eldrad has runes of witnessing, so you don't need them with the other farseer - save yourself the 10-15 points. That should being you up to saving 156 points, and a Wraithlord with BL/EML is 155.

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 07:22 PM

Landlocked space marines...

Why aren't you running at least 2 Prisms?

(Proxy them if you must)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 08:03 PM

To be fair... Footmarines will burn to duo-tempest launches better than they would Fire Prisms haha

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 10:28 PM

The Irish Commissar's Flag is: Ireland

Night spinners are great fun to use against foot armys even marines
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

I thought about Night Spinners, but those are one of the only things (along with tanks, I have two Wave Serpents) that I really cannot proxy (I only have one support weapon platform). I have decided to update my list based on Holmes' recommendations, mainly because I want to see how the Wraithlord does, as I only have one and I am deciding whether or not to get more, I love the way they look. Any recommendations on how to play him or the rest of this list? How do I keep him in range (should he move in with the Wraithguard unit as fast as he can)?

HQ-340:
Eldrad Ulthran-210
Farseer W/Doom, Fortune, Spirit Stones & Runes of Witnessing-130
(Both of these gentlemen ride with the Wraithguard)

Troops-430:
7 Pathfinders-168

Elites-290:
5 Wraithguard In a Wave Serpent W/Star Engines & Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannons-290

Heavy Support-449:
3 Dark Reapers Including an Exarch W/Tempest Launcher & Crack Shot-147
3 Dark Reapers Including an Exarch W/Tempest Launcher & Crack Shot-147
1 Wraithlord W/Eldar Missile Launcher & Bright Lance (Flamers and Catapults to be Decided)-155

Total Points: 1509

Thank you, again.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 02:46 PM

When running Wraithguard as a anvil troop (10 with a farseer, footslogging) I generally would advise to run the WL (and an Avatar :] ) along with them, as anti-charge, but chances are he is going to be out-sped by the wave serpent. He will have 36" range, so he shouldnt need to move up too much, I would save him as an anti-charge for the pathfinders, or possibly some dark reapers - it's good to have a anti-charge with T8

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 03:14 PM

Generally, against 'landlocked' marines- no air elements, no pods, etc- eldar do best with mobile, long-range firepower. I emphasize mobile, long-range firepower! You don't need tricks, gimmicks, short legs or short arms! Fire prisms, vypers, war walkers, whatever- go all out this way, and bring a healthy amount of bright lances and emls. Troops are jetbikes only, with a mounted farseer. Concentrate in both maneuver and fields of fire. On a typical 6' by 4' table 1500 pts is almost perfect for these types of eldar armies. Slice-and-dice from a distance, moving briskly and with extreme focus and concentration of elements and firepower.

Last edited by big rob; 03-21-13 at 03:17 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode