New Player Needs Help With Eldar Army - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-13, 01:51 PM

IMHO, until the new eldar codex comes out- hopefully, sometime later this year- I think the best we can do is take no half measures, and be as mobile and with as much long range heavy firepower as possible. Allied flyers/AA emplacements are also prudent.

There may have been an earlier edition of both the BRB as well as an eldar codex whereby things like striking scorpions, wraithguard, dark reapers and support weapons batteries made alot of sense, but the main rule book and the various armies with their more current codex editions seem to have put us almost perpetually on the cusp of mediocrity. I haven't used striking scorpions and the like mentioned above in quite awhile.

I find that up-armed jetbikes and jetbike-based deathstars are still quite potent and threatening, and fire prisms and/or multiple war walkers can bring it fairly reliably. Dark eldar allies for their air force help alot. Throw in maybe a few shining spears and/or some heavy-hitting vypers and things become quite interesting. Play to our strength, and go all out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-13, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by big rob View Post
I find that up-armed jetbikes and jetbike-based deathstars are still quite potent and threatening, and fire prisms and/or multiple war walkers can bring it fairly reliably. Dark eldar allies for their air force help alot. Throw in maybe a few shining spears and/or some heavy-hitting vypers and things become quite interesting. Play to our strength, and go all out!
That actually sounds really fun, but I would like to proxy as little as possible until I learn what the models I have can do, learn the game better and (most importantly) I have enough money to buy real models. Proxying always looks weird to me, especially when I have no units that look similar to the unit I am proxying for (a la Warwalkers). that being said, I do believe the next unit I buy will be Warwalkers, they are so versatile (when magnetized) and look like a blast! I also just love the look of them. Anyway, I have updated my list for tonight, I'll let you know how it plays.

HQ-621
Farseer W/Spirit Stones, Doom, Fortune & Guide
Eldrad & 3 Warlocks 1W/Singing Spear & Enhance, 1W/Destructor & 1W/Singing Spear & Embolden (I want to try out the different Warlock powers and see what I like) in a Wave Serpent W/Star Engines & Bright Lances

Troops-399
3 Guardian Jetbikes
6 Pathfinders
17 Guardians W/Missile Launcher & 1 Warlock W/Singing Spear & Embolden

Elites-517
5 Wraithguard & 1 Warlock W/Singing Spear & Enhance in a Wave Serpent W/Star Engines & Scatter Lasers
7 Striking Scorpions W/Exarch W/Scorpion's Claw, Biting Blade, Stalker & Shadowstrike

Heavy Support-464
4 Dark Reapers W/Exarch W/Tempest Launcher & Crack Shot
2 Support Weapon Platform W/D-Cannon

Should be 2,001 again, unless I am off.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-13, 07:18 PM

ew_holmes's Flag is: Canada

Looks fun! If you are looking to make it a legit 2k list (<= 2000) drop the guardian's Warlock spear - he probably won't get in range to use it unless you're being bold!

GL and have fun! :D

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-13, 11:37 PM
Autarch of Heresy

Ragewind's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadasdor View Post
That actually sounds really fun, but I would like to proxy as little as possible until I learn what the models I have can do, learn the game better and (most importantly) I have enough money to buy real models. Proxying always looks weird to me, especially when I have no units that look similar to the unit I am proxying for (a la Warwalkers). that being said, I do believe the next unit I buy will be Warwalkers, they are so versatile (when magnetized) and look like a blast! I also just love the look of them. Anyway, I have updated my list for tonight, I'll let you know how it plays.

HQ-621
Farseer W/Spirit Stones, Doom, Fortune & Guide
Eldrad & 3 Warlocks 1W/Singing Spear & Enhance, 1W/Destructor & 1W/Singing Spear & Embolden (I want to try out the different Warlock powers and see what I like) in a Wave Serpent W/Star Engines & Bright Lances

Troops-399
3 Guardian Jetbikes
6 Pathfinders
17 Guardians W/Missile Launcher & 1 Warlock W/Singing Spear & Embolden

Elites-517
5 Wraithguard & 1 Warlock W/Singing Spear & Enhance in a Wave Serpent W/Star Engines & Scatter Lasers
7 Striking Scorpions W/Exarch W/Scorpion's Claw, Biting Blade, Stalker & Shadowstrike

Heavy Support-464
2 Support Weapon Platform W/D-Cannon

Should be 2,001 again, unless I am off.
Only need 3 Dark Reapers per squad not 4, so that's 70 points saved right there, which is another D-Cannon

Since you will be rushing those Guard up don't give the serpent a Scatter Laser, make it a Shurican Cannon, that's 15 points saved right there. That can be another Scorp.

Farseer doesn't need Doom for the Locks cause you know...Fleshbane. that's 25 points right there. While it >may< be useful on the Scorps nothing else in the army really needs it so 25 points for one squad not so much.

With the points saved you can add another 1-2 Warlocks

You can't give him a Biting Blade and a Power fist, so that's another 10 points saved right there.

The Lock Serpent again doesn't need Scatter so thats another 15 points saved.

Now you can put Destructor on the two locks you bought with the above points.

The Lock with the Wraithguard don't need a Singing Spear, he cannot split fire and anything they shoot will die. Let him keep the Blade so he can bring a extra attack in CC.

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

I got torn to shreds! But it was still a fun match. The problem was that I couldn't get enough solid hits off before he was in may face with CC. It was very likely an on-the-table error, although seeing Rage's post has made me notice some mistakes (thank you), most of which I didn't even know could be mistakes. I think Eldar, especially a mostly pre-constructed collection was an interesting choice for a first army... I still love 'em, though. I understand that the SS Exarch cannot fit a blade and a claw, (frankly t seemed a bit over-powered to me) but why is that? In the codex it says that one replaces his pistol and the other replaces his sword.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 02:00 PM
Autarch of Heresy

Quote:
I got torn to shreds! But it was still a fun match. The problem was that I couldn't get enough solid hits off before he was in may face with CC. It was very likely an on-the-table error, although seeing Rage's post has made me notice some mistakes (thank you), most of which I didn't even know could be mistakes. I think Eldar, especially a mostly pre-constructed collection was an interesting choice for a first army... I still love 'em, though. I understand that the SS Exarch cannot fit a blade and a claw, (frankly t seemed a bit over-powered to me) but why is that? In the codex it says that one replaces his pistol and the other replaces his sword.

Remeber baby steps with a new army until you get going.

As for the claw and blade, the Blade is a 2H weapon wheras the claw is a 1H weapon meaning you cannot use them at the same time. On top of that you may only use one special weapon at a time meaning you would need to choose between them each time you attack and cannot split your attacks between them.

While you can take both its typically a waste of points

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I got torn to shreds! But it was still a fun match. The problem was that I couldn't get enough solid hits off before he was in may face with CC......
Yeah, not too surprising, really. Mobile, long-range, heavy firepower and some type of flyer/anti-flyer component will go a long way towards avoiding that outcome, at least until we get our new codex. Right now we sort of have to play shoot-and-scoot in order to be competitive, but if we have enough mobility and serious ranged weaponry with air cover, we can fight well, and with good forethought we can sort of fool our opponents into setting up in one area, but quickly re-deploying towards our real goal. Foot eldar right now just don't seem to be able to withstand coming to grips with most opponents, and still carrying out mission objectives. Over time, however, you will aquire the right kind of army that really can get off enough solid shots while avoiding getting mauled up close and personal. Live and learn....
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 02:17 PM
Autarch of Heresy

Here is the list i run currently. Can you
Tell me how its supposed to play and why based on your current experience? If you can correctly ID the majority then you should have no trouble growing into your own list. As a aside what do you think your current list could do aganst it and why not? What would you change if you could to deal with the threats i bring?

Maugan ra 195
Fire Warriors w/ Team Leader +BSF 68
Fire Dragons 112
w/ Tank Hunters, Crackshot, Exarch, Dragons Breath Flamer
Fortress 290
Krakstorm
Heavy Bolter x4 -
Icarus Lascannon -
Center Bunker -
D-Cannon 150
D-Cannon 150
Farseer 90
w/ Mind War, Runes of Warding

Jetbikes 66
Jetbikes 66
Jetbikes 66
Jetbikes 66
Farseer 75 -Mind War
Suit Commander 115 Missile Pod, BSF, Iridium Armor, HWDC, Sheild Drones x2
Bastion 110 -
Fire Dragons 112 Exarch, Dragons Breath Flamer, Tank Hunters, Crackshot

Braodsides 268
w/ Team leader, HWBSF, HWDC, Sheild Draones x2,

Edit: im on my mobile and wont be able to fully respond fully until this evening. I will however be answer and quick questions you may have to help your thought process

Last edited by Ragewind; 03-12-13 at 02:20 PM.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Sadly enough, Rage, I have no idea how I would fight that force with my list and I don't know anything about Tau or things like Fortresses (I don't even know what that type of thing is called. Buyable terrain?). I can tell you that I believe the Jetbikes are for denying/claiming objectives at the last minute, hit-and-run attacks and getting Linebreaker. The Fire Dragons are for vehicle destruction and MEQ killing. I get the feeling that you park the Fortress with all of the goodies inside somewhere and just start wailing away on anything that gets too close. However, I tried an artillery emplacement-like strategy last night and my opponent discovered the ingenious strategy of avoiding it, which for some reason I never thought of... If I had to take a guess at what your army was designed to do, I would say that it tries to hit transports and heavies with the Dragons, while all of your ranged-superiority picks off infantry and the bikes lie in wait to contest/claim. I imagine your plan is actually a lot more complicated than that and I know that I have a lot to learn. How would you recommend that I study up, besides just bothering you folks here?
Also, thank you for the advice, Rob. I don't know why, but footslogging armies appeal to me more, in general I have no problem taking vehicles, but I guess I like the look of units more. That being said, I do understand the need for mobility and I love my units that have it, so I will start looking for ways to get more of it, very likely.

Edit: I don't know how I missed that the blade on the SS Exarch was two-handed, thank you, that makes a lot more sense now.

Last edited by ambadasdor; 03-12-13 at 04:12 PM.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 04:21 PM
Autarch of Heresy

Not a bad inital assesment, lets work on breaking it down so you can see why everything is in the list.

To start off with, if i do not go first i deploy nothing in the fortress. This prevents it from being attacked, since you cannot target it unless occupied. This also holds true for the Bastion.

Can you tell me where i might place Maugan Ra and why?

Ignore the Tau units for now.

Pay attention to my signature when deciding your answer.

Edit: just a fyi if you want your artillery to move and shoot place a Tau commander with the stablazation upgrade into the squad. The whole unit will get SnP.

Last edited by Ragewind; 03-12-13 at 04:31 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists

Tags
army list , eldar , new player

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode