Beginners Eldar Army Points/Composition aid needed - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Default Beginners Eldar Army Points/Composition aid needed

Hi, I am a relative beginner with Eldar and have a few of most unit types available but overall I'm relatively limited.

I need some assistance in that recently I have been playing vs. my friend who plays Tau, we played a few 500 point game with 2 troops and a HQ minimum and I have relied mainly on an Aurtarch, 5 man Pathfinder squad, small 3 man jetbike squad and either warps spiders or swooping hawk squad of roughly 5 men - totalling 500 points (either swooping or spider not both).
I usually connected the Aurtarch to my pathfinder (or kept him close by) with a reaper launcher for ranged damage or attached to my fast attackers, mainly warp spiders to make them more deadly.

I spent a couple of games just sniping him and trying to pick off vulnerable lonely units with my mobile units avoiding close quarters combat in lieu of a hit and run tactics as he ran his Tau army of Kroots and a few fire-warriors in a big deathball not allowing me to deep strike any stragglers. And another game I did much the same, this time deciding to try the swooping hawk grenade pack ability to take advantage of his mass of small weak units I could decimate with the pack.

The problem lies in the games are not very fun for my opponent and only some fun for me in that my rangers (which I do love with their 2+ cover saves as pathfinders in decent cover :3) stay static the entire game sniping and my fast attackers spend almost the whole game in an unkillable state in reserve or dropping a grenade pack on his units which must be quite annoying and my opponent doesn't appreciate making him not wish to play with me. He complains every game is much the same which I agree with in some regards especially with my static snipers, but isn't that what snipers are meant to do? And I feel I can hardly hit and run and leave my squad to fight as going into range of his deathball would kill them in one shooting phase wasting a large proportion of my 500 points.

Anyway more to the point of this thread; can any of the Eldar vets or people with more experience than me (basically everyone) post some possible builds I could try that rely more on fast movement and CQC and flanking and such then a static sniping approach - as I feel this would make me and my friend enjoy the games more which is ultimately the objective of playing. ( I enjoy a variety of builds but am worried to try new strange builds I know little about)

I was thinking maybe some builds of 500, 1000, 1500 points if that isn't too much to ask :3? He plays Tau and I'm not looking to annihilate him so please no OP tactics that he will end up pissed off at, as I don't want to be an a-hole.
(Also what game modes are best for these armies or do they favour and which is a fun game mode for beginners and the both of us?)

I am fully willing to buy more units but if you could try and incorporate which units I currently have that would help.

Current Units:
1 x Autarch
5 x rangers
12 x guardians (with 2 crew and a heavy weapons platform) Roughly that many
5 x warp spiders
6 x swooping hawks
6 x Fire dragons
3 x Jet bikes
1 x fire prism
1 x falcon

(I will probably buy a farseer as they have awesome psychic abilities and want to buy some wraithguard or dark reapers but they are more long ranged /// But I was thinking maybe some dire avengers or howling banshees or striking scorpions for CQC not range)

- Also finally what actually is a seer council?? A separate unit of warlocks? How much do they cost in points in an army and are they worth it???

Any help even if you can only answer a small part of my problem would be hugely appreciated as I want to play games with him but when he feels my tactics make for a boring and static game I fear he won't want to play with me.

I also apologize if this is in the wrong area and feel free to move it I am new to the forums sooo.

Regards, CellteX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 12:37 AM
Autarch of Heresy

Ragewind's Flag is: USA

I have a lot of advice for you sadly not enough time to post it as of now.

Don't feel bad playing with hit and run tactics and standing off and shooting. This is how the tricky Eldar play and you are simply playing with the Army the way it was designed to play.

If you want to try something a little different put the Autarch on a bike (proxy it or use a jetbike model) and give him a laser lance and mandi blasters. If the guy has a tank give him a fusion gun otherwise save the 10 points. This will let your autarch go in and CC them which should be a bit more fun for the both of you.

Here is a quick link that may be helpful until I am able to dive in more.
Click Me

Also all the units you have fight at a distance, he will be HARD pressed to get you in CC. As a Tau player he should be able to play the ranged game just as well as you.

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-12, 04:16 PM

I would advise a couple of things BEFORE you change the way you play your army..

Firstly,

Advise your friend to read his codex.. I am sure Tau have more weaponry and wargear that nullifies cover saves than anything else in the 40k universe.. (Markerlights and Missile Pods ring a bell?)

Secondly,

Play games at larger points values.. At 500 points you are bound to win games with the range of your snipers before he gets a chance to bring weapons to bare on them...

and last but not least,

If he is really struggling against you tell him after each game what he could have done to counter your list, after all you know your units better than anyone else.

There is nothing cheesy or overpowered about the units you are taking, quite the opposite in fact. If you have to change your playstyle to handicap your chances of winning perhaps you should seriously consider finding an opponent at your level and advise him to do the same.

I have played games before against less experienced players and its no fun for them when they get tabled.. its even less fun for the player steam-rolling them if they have any sort of conscience. But you invested money and time in that army of yours I think you would be doing yourself AND your friend a dis-service nerfing your army for his benefit..

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-12, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

These are all very good points and have been taken on board, in combination with Rage's 6th edition guide i feel fairly well informed now, thank you.

Although if anyone else has an opinion on the matters please share it, i am always interested to hear it.

Regards, CellteX
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-12, 10:53 PM
Autarch of Heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellteX View Post
These are all very good points and have been taken on board, in combination with Rage's 6th edition guide i feel fairly well informed now, thank you.

Although if anyone else has an opinion on the matters please share it, i am always interested to hear it.

Regards, CellteX
I have amended my guide to include this but if you were not aware Eldar Jetbikes Turbo-Boost 36' +12' move in the movement phase. (page 45 BRB)

...This means they can capture/contest a objective from 48's away. If you are ever planning on getting more troops you cannot hurt yourself taking more Guardian Jetbikes. No other troop in the whole game can be used this way for 66 points.

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

Last edited by Ragewind; 11-15-12 at 11:14 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-12, 11:23 AM
Digg40k's Flag is: United Kingdom

I can't help but get the impression that you're asking the forums for ways to play less well in order for your regular opponent to enjoy the game.

Shouldn't he be the one posting how to change his tactics for the better? I suppose perhaps for you learning to play less well might give you an even better insight in how to play well should you come across a better opponent, much to the chagrin of your current one, I would imagine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-12, 12:07 PM

how are you winning im sorry but rangers should not be able to decimate your oponent like that its only five shots the hawks again its a large blasr per turn if he bunches his guys together massivly maybe youll kill a couple but seriosly if he hits all ten fire warriors thats only five wounds free will be saved by there armour and then they can fire at the rangers
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-12, 07:13 PM
Autarch of Heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seermaster View Post
how are you winning im sorry but rangers should not be able to decimate your oponent like that its only five shots the hawks again its a large blasr per turn if he bunches his guys together massivly maybe youll kill a couple but seriosly if he hits all ten fire warriors thats only five wounds free will be saved by there armour and then they can fire at the rangers
Rangers/Pathfinders are actually really solid, what I suspect is really hurting the Tau player though is their LD 7 vs Pinning checks from Sniper Rifles. That is a great way to shut down a unit of Fire Warriors or Kroot.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-12, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Well the Grenade packs were getting a few lucky hits and i managed to get to get like 7+ on a couple out of units of 12, this combined with the snipers pinning, morale checks from snipers and grenade packs and such were giving him a bad day, but in my opinion he was using way too many Kroots which would never do me much damage. I was also fairly lucky with my pathfinder 2+ saves saving more than i should have with some luck.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-12, 09:25 PM

how many kroot does he have because if he infiltrates next to you and run like hell they could easy kill the pathinders in combat

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists

Tags
eldar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode