Anti-flier List Ideas - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-12, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

ew_holmes's Flag is: Canada

Default Anti-flier List Ideas

Hey all,

I have a tournament on Nov. 25, and am anticipating ultra gay flier lists.

Example 1:
- 7 necron flier list, Stormlord + unit on the board on turn 1

I currently have no other examples, but fliers are big in my area.

What ideas do you guys have to counter such a list? SL spam? go with the old "mass shots"? I want to try to stay away from allies, as I have no other armies. I also have no forgeworld models, so trying to stay inside our codex (sucks, I know).

Things I have found:

- Fire Prisms are nearly useless now, with all the flyer spam being immune to them.

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-12, 08:13 PM

well jetbikes en mass how many points are we talking
and what models do you have available
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-12, 08:20 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

massed scatter laser war walkers and an aegis defence line with autocannon are about as good as I could come up with... but you're never going to touch 7 enemy fliers.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-12, 08:26 PM

the prob with walkers is generally theyll get to shoot first so the walkers would dy
falcons vypers and gjb with eldrad and a farseer
the only reason is that you can follow the flyers around with the jetbikes and vypers
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-12, 11:28 PM
Autarch of Heresy

Ragewind's Flag is: USA

The thing about Night Scythes is that their guns arent that great Just Str 7. Meaning if you feild units that they have a difficult time damaging then you have basically nullified their army.

A good example are Wraithlords, they get wounded on a 5. With fortune this basically equates to never taking a wound.

Wraithguard are T6 meaning they get wounded on 3's. While worse than a 5 you will end up saving wounds since it isnt a 2+.

Artillery is T7, meaning they would on 4's, again with fortune this should never be a problem.

Bastions are your best bet, AV 14 is untouchable with STR 7, and it comes with a Cannon or Quad. Get someone with Tank hunters to man the gun, and intercept the flyers when they come in, you can basically kill 2-4 per turn depending on what the rest of your army is.

Stormlord is trash don't worry about him

The trick to beating this type of list is to go second, if you win the roll let him go. That way HE cannot last turn contest/capture and you can turn it around on him.

If you give me the points I'll write something up for you that can handle that, and if you can handle Necron Night Sycthe spam you can handle whatever.

The Doom Scythes are what you should be scared of, but again Intercepting them is very effective.

You also want to focus on using Emplaced Guns, these cannot be targeted by themselves (Those are Gun Emplacements, yes they are two different things) until they pop the Bastion or Fortress the Empalced guns will continue to fire.

There are also two ways you can play these games, either handles the flyers 1 at a time just like a normal game or focus on dropping his troops on the table turn 1. Which forces him to auto lose

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

Last edited by Ragewind; 11-12-12 at 11:32 PM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

ew_holmes's Flag is: Canada

The tournament is 1850. Here is what I'm working with. A lot of it is unassembled/unpainted at this point, I just made a large purchase. However, I have 3 days off before the tournament so I plan on assembling everything at the very least.

Farseer, 4 warlocks on foot
Avatar (FW w/ spear - I'm excited to assemble this bad boy)
All Phoenix Lords except Karandras
Autarch on jetbike - unassembled
5 seer council conversions - 2 or 3 with spears

6 Scorpions - exarch
6 fire dragons - exarch
5 wraithguard

20 guardians
20 dire avengers
20 jetbikes
5 pathfinders

11 warp spiders
2 vypers - magnetized

2 fire prisms/nightspinners - magnetized
5 dark reapers
1 warwalker
1 Wraithlord - EML/BL/sword magnetized

Bastion - eldar style - with quad cannon made from a vibrocannon chasis

3 Wave serpents - 2 with BLs, 1 with shur.cannons - I am considering magnetizing this as well, but i can use any weapons on them.

Representation is fine as long as they look like what they should be - aka a Wave Serpent can be a falcon, or Firestorm - where an Avatar cannot be karandras - similar base makes it fine.

I also have some friends who have most other non-FW models - i can get a full unit of 3 warwalkers, another Wraithlord (i think), a falcon, Banshees, Hawks, and some more jetbikes (tho i doubt i'll need them). 5 more pathfinders, etc. another 5 seer council., and 6 more warp spiders.

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Last edited by ew_holmes; 11-13-12 at 12:19 AM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 12:32 AM
Autarch of Heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ew_holmes View Post
The tournament is 1850. Here is what I'm working with. A lot of it is unassembled/unpainted at this point, I just made a large purchase. However, I have 3 days off before the tournament so I plan on assembling everything at the very least.

Farseer, 4 warlocks on foot
Avatar (FW w/ spear - I'm excited to assemble this bad boy)
All Phoenix Lords except Karandras
Autarch on jetbike - unassembled
5 seer council conversions - 2 or 3 with spears

6 Scorpions - exarch
6 fire dragons - exarch
5 wraithguard

20 guardians
20 dire avengers
20 jetbikes
5 pathfinders

11 warp spiders
2 vypers - magnetized

2 fire prisms/nightspinners - magnetized
5 dark reapers
1 warwalker
1 Wraithlord - EML/BL/sword magnetized

Bastion - eldar style - with quad cannon made from a vibrocannon chasis

3 Wave serpents - 2 with BLs, 1 with shur.cannons - I am considering magnetizing this as well, but i can use any weapons on them.

Representation is fine as long as they look like what they should be - aka a Wave Serpent can be a falcon, or Firestorm - where an Avatar cannot be karandras - similar base makes it fine.

I also have some friends who have most other non-FW models - i can get a full unit of 3 warwalkers, another Wraithlord (i think), a falcon, Banshees, Hawks, and some more jetbikes (tho i doubt i'll need them). 5 more pathfinders, etc. another 5 seer council., and 6 more warp spiders.
Can you get Tau? Specifically 3 Broadsides and 3-4 Suits?

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 01:00 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Get dedicated to killing his lone unit before they hit the board.

My favourite is to take a Communion GK/IG Officer of the Fleet ally to hamper enemy reserve rolls. Then, as much as possible that is capable of moving forward and unloading literally everything into wiping out his stormlord and his unit first.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 01:28 AM
Autarch of Heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
Get dedicated to killing his lone unit before they hit the board.

My favourite is to take a Communion GK/IG Officer of the Fleet ally to hamper enemy reserve rolls. Then, as much as possible that is capable of moving forward and unloading literally everything into wiping out his stormlord and his unit first.
That's so dirty, must be nice to play IG/Gk

/sigh Eldar

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 10:00 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

"Dirty", ragewind? No. But it is simply hampering his effectiveness through the use of allies. I know he is said he isn't a fan, but really, 15 guard models is hard or expensive with a week to go. Or an Inquisitor and 5 GK.

I'd personally love to see the Autarch give enemies -1 to reserves, but it doesn't.

Although you can go "all eldar" and forego the -1 to reserves, it does make it a bit harder for you. As others have said, there is no playing nice with a 7 flyer army.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode