Anti-flier List Ideas - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 12:30 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

I dunno mate I don't see you have any option other than to go with some IA Eldar Nightwing or ally up with some Dark Eldar for Razorwings and Void Bombers or even Space marines for their Storm Talon or Giard for some Valkyries.

Even then you're going to be heavily out numbered but you might win through as his flyers are trying to transport troops about where as you guys will be totally focussed on Air to Air.

The Quad gun is a good weapon for sure but at the end of the day it is only one and a basically defensive emplacement. Air superiority will only be gained by meeting them in the sky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

ew_holmes's Flag is: Canada

Valid point. Well this tournament is the first of a series of 8 I believe - perhaps I shall buy myself a nightwing or 2 for Christmas!

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 02:36 AM
Autarch of Heresy

Ragewind's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
I dunno mate I don't see you have any option other than to go with some IA Eldar Nightwing or ally up with some Dark Eldar for Razorwings and Void Bombers or even Space marines for their Storm Talon or Giard for some Valkyries.

Even then you're going to be heavily out numbered but you might win through as his flyers are trying to transport troops about where as you guys will be totally focussed on Air to Air.

The Quad gun is a good weapon for sure but at the end of the day it is only one and a basically defensive emplacement. Air superiority will only be gained by meeting them in the sky.
Maybe

If we fit enough Twin-Linked Strength 7+ then we can shoot down flyers all day.

A example
Crisis Suit x3 Tl-Missile Pods 129

That is 6 Str 7 shots at 36 inches, if you maximize that kind of fire power you will have all the AA you need.

I think I got a idea

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 02:41 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragewind View Post
Maybe

If we fit enough Twin-Linked Strength 7+ then we can shoot down flyers all day.

A example
Crisis Suit x3 Tl-Missile Pods 129

That is 6 Str 7 shots at 36 inches, if you maximize that kind of fire power you will have all the AA you need.

I think I got a idea
Sure but that means 1 hit, good chance of a pen for sure but then there are still 6 to deal with, provided the come within range.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 04:33 AM
Autarch of Heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Sure but that means 1 hit, good chance of a pen for sure but then there are still 6 to deal with, provided the come within range.
But what if you had 6+ units that could do either the same thing or something very close to it. We have some options for sure, the AA in my armies basically consist of a Icarus Las-Cannon and Railguns. I fight against NightScythe spam every Friday and don't have a issue, now I haven't run into 9 Valks yet but we will see.

Give me some time and I will see what I can do.

In the meantime enjoy my new guide for 6th edition
Click Meh - Rage's Guide for the Eldar

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

I've read the guide, Rage. I like it. One thing though. The Jetbikes getting T5 is wrong. The +1T is only applied once, whether mentioned in the FAQ, Codex, BRB, or a combo of the three.

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 03:21 PM
Autarch of Heresy

Default List ideA

Alright there is a number of ways we can do this without gimping you vs other lists. Here is the first draft and you need to tell me if it fits your playstyle, if you can get/proxy rhe models and if the overall strategy is too difficult.
Autarch 140 w/ Fusion Gun,Jetbike,Laser Lance,mandiblaster
Jetbike squad x3 66x3=198
Bastion 125 w/Quad Gun
Fire dragons x5 w/tank hunters,crackshot,exarch
Firestorm Tank 180
Firestorm Tank 180

O'Shava 175
Crisis Bodyguards. X7 457 w/ target locks x6, Blacksun F. X2, TL-Missile Pods x7, vectored thrusters x1, drone controller x2, gun drones x4
Fire warriors x6 60
Broadsides x3 223 w/ target locks x2, blacksun F.

This is 1850 exactly

The jetbikes and firewarrriors go in reserve regardless, the fire warriors grab your home objective and the bikes get the rest.

Fire dragons go in the bastion, autarch either joins them or goes up top in the battlements with the broadsides

Deploy the Bastion as far back as you can

The fire storms stay on the table if you go first ( to intercept incomming flyers) or stay in reserve if you go second. They have a 60' range so they have no business getting close unless you are going to contest and should hide behind the bastion or any other convient terrain.

Quad gun intercepts, place all 4 heavy bolters on the front side of the bastion and have the fire dragons shoot them, the exarch handles the quad gun. Focus on flyer squads with the quad gun (i.e. valks)

The broadsides perform anti-tank and go AA if you need it.

You can either deepstdike O'Shava's squad if going second (doesnt have to be close since they have a 42' threat range) or stay on the table if going first. They can split fire to 7 different targets so they can perform AA or handle ground based targets. After the fight starts get the autarcb to join them, they have hit and run so should not be bogged down in a fight.

You have A LOT of dakka here and besides the fire dragons have no reall way to peirce a 2+ save reliably which means you will have to focus fire and make the enemy roll saves, should be easy as every weapon on the table is STR 5+

This is just the first draft, if you cannot use Forgeworld let me know.

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 03:25 PM
Autarch of Heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ew_holmes View Post
I've read the guide, Rage. I like it. One thing though. The Jetbikes getting T5 is wrong. The +1T is only applied once, whether mentioned in the FAQ, Codex, BRB, or a combo of the three.
I see why you think that but can you prove thats the defualt way? This didnt used to exisit until the new FAQ and there is no reason the toughness buff doesnt stack. As far as i know only the Eldar currently benifet from this loophole but chaos can mimic it with MON bikers. Please cite realavent page#'s as to why it doesnt stack.

Edit: You have to understand the way the FAQ is written there is actually a order of operations as to what you get by equipping a bike.
In the following order this is what you get
"Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults...The riders toughness increases by 1..it also confers a 3+ armor save..AND FINALLY it changes the unit type to Eldar Jetbike.
Since the verbage "finally" is in the faq any + or - is applied last.
When we visit the BRB to see what a Eldar Jetbike gets the very first sentence in the rules tells us that a Eldar Jetbike follows all of the normal rules for bikes and jetbikes. It then tells us we get the assualt move.
When you go read the rules for bikes and jetbikes the very first rule is Armored Steed which increases the riders toughness by 1. The second sentence is very important as it then tells us any unit which already has a bike as part of its standard wargear already has the increased toughness as part of its statline. Since a Autarch/Warlock/Farseer does not get a Jetbike as standard you would apply everything as it is written or in otherwords RAW.
The Eldar FAQ is the only one that amends a bikes description all other codexs say the bike/jetbike simply changes your unit typs in addition to changing what weapon you have +misc rules.

Last edited by Ragewind; 11-14-12 at 04:04 PM.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I actually don't have the rulebook myself, but I was intrigued so I asked a friend with the rulebook. I'll hit you up with some pages if I can find anything on it.

DAMN YOU, DICE GODS!
V

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 09:08 PM

for the tactic of killing everything on the board you get first turn turbo up with the jet council second turn asault technically he wants second turn to contest last turn if he goes first u cant kill everything but you can then control last turn with how fast u are

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode