2500pts DE Competitive/Friendly. Infantry/Range based. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-13, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Default 2500pts DE Competitive/Friendly. Infantry/Range based.

2500pts DE Competitive/Friendly. Infantry/Range based

Lords

Dread Lord - 245 pts (hangs out with CoK mostly)
HA,Shield,SDC, ColdOne
Whip of Agony
Pendant of Khaeleth

Supreme Sorceress - 340 pts (switches between RxB unit and Spears)
Lvl. 4, Lore of Shadows
Sacrificial Dagger
Lifetaker
Guiding Eye

Heroes

Sorceress - 150 pts (same)
Lvl. 2, Lore of Metal
Tome of Furion

Death Hag - 225 pts
Cauldron of Blood
BSB

Core

45x Spears - 285 pts
FC

20x RxB - 225 pts
Shields, Musician

5x Dark Riders - 117 pts
RxBs, Musician

Special

6x Shades - 95 pts

9x CoK - 318 pts
FC
Standard of Hag Graef

21x Black Guard - 319 pts
Standard, Musician
Banner of Murder

Rare

Hydra - 175 pts

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````

I'll be going up against an Empire player, atleast 2 Dwarfs, 2 WoC, 1 Lizardmen, and 1 Orcs & Gobbos. The Empire and Dwarf players are fond of ranged favored armies. The WoC runs his fast and full of monsters, but his characters are relatively weak and he doesnt have a very strong main battle line. It's more like 3 waves of progressively weaker battle lines.

My plan is to have the Sorc Lord (lvl4) start with the spearmen and Sorc (lvl2) start with the RxB. The Sorc Lord will unload in the magic phase with her sac dagger and use her shadow lore attribute to switch places with the Sorc lvl2 when shes done. Just in time for the shooting phase where, if theyre within range, all the RxB +Lifetaker will unload on enemy. DR and Shades will either focus on the same target or hunt down the enemies vulnerable shooting/magic platforms.

Rinse and Repeat until enemy gets close enough, then I'll pop Guiding Eye and really let them have it (that's why the RxB are all in one group). Then the Spears/BG (and the RxB if necessary) are going to anvil it while the Hydra/CoKs with Mr. Asskicker Dread Lord are going to come around the side and hammer out whats left of my foes.

It's been quite a while since I've played Warhammer and I'm just getting back into it now. So feel free to tear me a new one. I'm a blank slate at this point and I'll appreciate any advice.

~Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-13, 06:48 AM

LordofFenris's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGillet View Post
2500pts DE Competitive/Friendly. Infantry/Range based

Lords

Dread Lord - 245 pts (hangs out with CoK mostly)
HA,Shield,SDC, ColdOne
Whip of Agony
Pendant of Khaeleth
I give my lord a crown of command and enchanted shield....makes for a virtually un-killable lord who is stubborn. He also has a very good chance of shaking off cannonballs.

Supreme Sorceress - 340 pts (switches between RxB unit and Spears)
Lvl. 4, Lore of Shadows
Sacrificial Dagger
Lifetaker
Guiding Eye
If she moves a lot, try looking at a ward save. If she gets caught out of a unit, she's toast otherwise. Also, if you face Slann w the Lizardmen, you might be better off with a Dispel Scroll.

Heroes

Sorceress - 150 pts (same)
Lvl. 2, Lore of Metal
Tome of Furion
I stopped taking two sorceress'. Usually the Lvl 4 handles everything.

Death Hag - 225 pts
Cauldron of Blood
BSB

Core

45x Spears - 285 pts
FC
Poor Spears. I realized these are best used as a lockdown unit with a character holding a Crown of Command, or as a Sorceress bunker. 6+ no parry in combat is terrible, even if I can Hate my enemy first turn. Either way, I keep mine at or under 30.

20x RxB - 225 pts
Shields, Musician
Here's something I tried: giving these guys fcmnd and using them as a fighting unit once the enemy gets close. Its the only unit in the book with a Parry Sv and a true 5+ Armor Sv.

5x Dark Riders - 117 pts
RxBs, Musician

Special

6x Shades - 95 pts

9x CoK - 318 pts
FC
Standard of Hag Graef

21x Black Guard - 319 pts
Standard, Musician
Banner of Murder

Rare

Hydra - 175 pts

Love this. You may want to leave it at home vs. Cannons

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````

I'll be going up against an Empire player, atleast 2 Dwarfs, 2 WoC, 1 Lizardmen, and 1 Orcs & Gobbos. The Empire and Dwarf players are fond of ranged favored armies. The WoC runs his fast and full of monsters, but his characters are relatively weak and he doesnt have a very strong main battle line. It's more like 3 waves of progressively weaker battle lines.

My plan is to have the Sorc Lord (lvl4) start with the spearmen and Sorc (lvl2) start with the RxB. The Sorc Lord will unload in the magic phase with her sac dagger and use her shadow lore attribute to switch places with the Sorc lvl2 when shes done. Just in time for the shooting phase where, if theyre within range, all the RxB +Lifetaker will unload on enemy. DR and Shades will either focus on the same target or hunt down the enemies vulnerable shooting/magic platforms.

Rinse and Repeat until enemy gets close enough, then I'll pop Guiding Eye and really let them have it (that's why the RxB are all in one group). Then the Spears/BG (and the RxB if necessary) are going to anvil it while the Hydra/CoKs with Mr. Asskicker Dread Lord are going to come around the side and hammer out whats left of my foes.

It's been quite a while since I've played Warhammer and I'm just getting back into it now. So feel free to tear me a new one. I'm a blank slate at this point and I'll appreciate any advice.

~Stephen
There are some overall adjustments. While I think this would do well vs Orcs and Lizardmen (with magic changes), you will struggle against ANY dwarf player worth their weight in beer. Cannons will be your bane, and because of that, you will need harpies. At least two units. I can't tell you how many games vs Empire or Dwafs where my Hydra died by turn 2. In addition, I think you will need more shooting vs. WoC. They have virtually no shooting (barring a hellcannon, which I'd rather have it shoot at me anyway). So even in the scenario of you going second, you will most likely have 1-2 turns of shooting. When my DE go shooty, I take 25 crossbowman, 2 units of 6 shades, Dark Riders, and 4 Bolt Throwers. This could also work against the slow Lizardmen.

"Take a moment, please. Ponder the depths of your insignificance."

"It would be disappointing if you were unable to overcome this simplest of defenses. Hilarious, but disappointing."

Crimson Fists (C:SM)
Necrons
Khorne Daemonkin

Other
WARMAHORDES (Skorne, Blindwater Congregation, Retribution of Scyrah)
DROPZONE COMMANDER (PHR)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-13, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Im thinking about going somewhere halfway. Something like, 30 RxB, 1 hydra, 2 RBT, 2 harpies, 1 shades, 1 dark riders, + the rest.

Why do you only do 30 spears? Is it nonhorde? And doesn't that seem like it's not enough to be sacrificed by the sorceress and still combat ready? Also, why no hero sorc? You never have enough power dice left to cast her spells with?

Going to rewrite list soon. Probably after I've got some more responses.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-13, 07:42 PM

I would drop the Sorceress, the Supreme will be fine on her lonesome.
Split the Crossbowmen unit into 2x10.
Drop 2 Cold one knights.

Use points saved to buy a second Hydra (Run them together as either a flanking hammer or a battering ram) and either bulk up the shades unit OR buy a small unit of Harpies.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-13, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Im thinking about going somewhere halfway. Something like, 30 RxB, 1 hydra, 2 RBT, 2 harpies, 1 shades, 1 dark riders, + the rest.

Why do you only do 30 spears? Is it nonhorde? And doesn't that seem like it's not enough to be sacrificed by the sorceress and still combat ready? Also, why no hero sorc? You never have enough power dice left to cast her spells with?

Going to rewrite list soon. Probably after I've got some more responses.
I find spearmen pretty useless, that's about it. No mine are not horded. I run them 6 wide, 5 deep. In combat, they only have a 6+ armor sv, as I'm sure you know you can use your shield in combat. This also means no parry sv. If you do not break the opposing unit in the first turn of combat (when you have your Hatred), that opposing unit will tear apart your unit of T3 6+ Armor Sv elves. Think of this: 40 Spearmen vs 40 Empire Halberdiers. If for some reason the Empire unit doesn't break or die, you lose Hatred after the first round, and they will be Str4 vs T3, doing -1 to your 6+ Armor Sv....you just die! Its awful, especially for the points invested. With my build, they act as a roadblock to units attempting to get to my shield equipped crossbowman, where my supreme sorceress usually is. Sometimes I will put my Harpies nearby and flee them when charged, forcing opponents to redirect into the nearby spearmen.

As for the hero level Sorceress, its not that I don't have the dice to cast, I just usually never need her. My Supreme Sorceress with Lore of Shadow usually handles everything. I don't take the sack dagger, as I don't find it all that useful, since she hangs out with crossbowman and I don't kill them like that. When she used to hang with the horde of spearmen I did, but I don't run them that way anymore. I give her Tome of Furion for the extra lore of shadow spell. (Looking for Pit and Mindrazor). In general, I never use Lvl2's unless I play my Warriors of Chaos. Just my humble opinions and observations.

"It would be disappointing if you were unable to overcome this simplest of defenses. Hilarious, but disappointing."

Necrons
Khorne Daemonkin

Other
DROPZONE COMMANDER (PHR)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-13, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Lords

Dread Lord - 275 pts
HA,Shield,SDC, Dark Pegasus
Whip of Agony
Pendant of Khaeleth
Dragonhelm

Supreme Sorceress - 285 pts
Lvl. 4, Lore of Shadows
Sacrificial Dagger

Heroes

Sorceress - 150 pts
Lvl. 2, Lore of Metal
Tome of Furion

Death Hag - 225 pts
Cauldron of Blood
BSB

Core

24x Spears - 159 pts
FC

20x RxB - 235 pts
Shields, FC

10x RxB - 115 pts
Shields, Music

5x Dark Riders - 117 pts
RxBs, Musician

Special

6x Shades - 101 pts
AHW

10x CoK - 329 pts
Music, Banner
Standard of Hag Graef

20x Black Guard - 306 pts
Standard, Musician
Banner of Murder

Rare

RBT - 100 pts

RBT - 100 pts

I dropped the spears down to 24 so that now they are just for sac dagger/speedbump for the RxB who now have sheild and full command. The idea is that the RxB will hold the line long enough for CoK charge.

Dropped hydra and lifetaker/guiding eye for (which im not entirely sure about, maybe drop spears or shades instead). Picked up 2 Repeater bolt and another 10 music, shield RxB for more shooting power; im thinking that my list is supposed to be more defensive and the original one had too much close combat units.

Also thought to throw dread on a peggy and have him hunt strays warmachines, while i wait for their army to come to me, then when the combt starts he'll go where needed for inspiring presence/asskicking.

What do you think?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

also what do you think about keeping hydra and dropping BG for a chariot? I've heard that a combined chariot/hydra charge can handle just about anything. Also dropping shades and dark riders for a third Bolt thrower.

Also wondering the efficacy of taking a corsair mainstay/sac dagger bunker and if it would be worthwhile to make that corsair unit horde size (probably ~40).

The idea is to make the army tougher to kill with return fire.

How about switching the magic items on the sorcs, so the sorc (hero) has sac dagger in bunker and supreme with tome using shadow lore?

Lastly, does the toughness 4 of the pegasus transfer over to the dread since the peggy is a monstrous beast, making the model montrous cavalry and with the new rules concerning which stats to use when receiving hits as MC.

Lords:

Dread Lord - 275 pts
HA,Shield,SDC, Dark Pegasus
Whip of Agony
Pendant of Khaeleth
Dragonhelm

Supreme Sorceress - 285 pts
Lvl. 4, Lore of Shadows
Sacrificial Dagger

Heroes

Sorceress - 150 pts
Lvl. 2, Lore of Metal
Tome of Furion

Death Hag - 225 pts
Cauldron of Blood
BSB

Core

20x RxB - 235 pts
Shields, FC

10x RxB - 115 pts
Shields, Music

27x Corsairs - 310 pts
Music, Banner
SSS

Special

10x CoK - 329 pts
Music, Banner
Standard of Hag Graef

Cold One Chariot - 100 pts

Rare

RBT - 100 pts

RBT - 100 pts

RBT - 100 pts

Hydra - 175 pts
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-13, 04:56 AM

Quote:
I dropped the spears down to 24 so that now they are just for sac dagger/speedbump for the RxB who now have sheild and full command. The idea is that the RxB will hold the line long enough for CoK charge.

Dropped hydra and lifetaker/guiding eye for (which im not entirely sure about, maybe drop spears or shades instead). Picked up 2 Repeater bolt and another 10 music, shield RxB for more shooting power; im thinking that my list is supposed to be more defensive and the original one had too much close combat units.

Also thought to throw dread on a peggy and have him hunt strays warmachines, while i wait for their army to come to me, then when the combt starts he'll go where needed for inspiring presence/asskicking.

What do you think?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

also what do you think about keeping hydra and dropping BG for a chariot? I've heard that a combined chariot/hydra charge can handle just about anything. Also dropping shades and dark riders for a third Bolt thrower.

Also wondering the efficacy of taking a corsair mainstay/sac dagger bunker and if it would be worthwhile to make that corsair unit horde size (probably ~40).

The idea is to make the army tougher to kill with return fire.

How about switching the magic items on the sorcs, so the sorc (hero) has sac dagger in bunker and supreme with tome using shadow lore?

Lastly, does the toughness 4 of the pegasus transfer over to the dread since the peggy is a monstrous beast, making the model montrous cavalry and with the new rules concerning which stats to use when receiving hits as MC.
Sorry this reply is so late.

Again, your best build will be determined by what you play. I know most casual players like to build an "all comers" list. I feel DE are not an army you can do that with. I have been playing quite a bit lately and noticed a few things: Since my shooting has been less than effective, so now I break up my crossbowman into 2 10 man units. I also tend to bring my Bolt Throwers more often, as I have found the longer range and lack of Multiple Shot penalty way better than regular crossbows, (I have 4). If I face say, Dwarfs or Empire, I leave the Hydra's at home as well. I am currently trying out a Dreadlord on a Black Dragon and Sorceress lvl2 on a Dark Pegasus combo, which to answer your question: Yes the rider of the Pegasus becomes T4 and 3 Wounds.

A few points:

When using the sac dagger, be very careful in a unit that small. If you cause yourself 25% casualties, you test for panic.

I still like Crossbowmen, but remember, your shooting can become trash very quickly. You can go from needing 3+ to 5+ pretty quickly. You are automatically at a 4+ because of Multiple Shot. You move and now its a 5+ to hit. If your target is skirmishers or in any cover, your at 6+ now. Not to mention Str3 AP sucks against most things you will be shooting at: Chariots, Monstrous Infantry/Cav....pretty much anything you can really knock down and Panic.

The Pegasus Dreadlord is a good idea. Remember to kit him out: Crown of Command, Sword of Might, Pendant, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Enchanted Shield (that depends on who you play with. My groups lets me get it for the book's 5pts.) Impale on the charge and stomp is badass too.

Do not bother with the Chariot. You will almost always charge into, or get pulled into a combat you don't want, and of course Stupidity. My rule of thumb: If the chariot is not core, don't take it. (Gorebeast is the exception. As is anything High Elves.)

Corsairs are very good, but a glass hammer. You do get a straight 5+ in combat, unlike spearmen. If you give them 2 hand weapons and the Sea Serpent Standard, that is a dangerous horde, but expensive. The attack output against say, a unit of 5x5 25mm models is around 40 attacks I believe. If you can get Mindrazor off on that unit....that's dirty.

With that said, I would def give your supreme the tome. You need Pit and Mindrazor....NEED them. I would give the hero level sorceress (if you still have to have her) a dispel scroll and knock her down to a level 1, unless you really want the sac dagger. (Its a very unfriendly piece of equipment.)

Necrons
Khorne Daemonkin

Other
DROPZONE COMMANDER (PHR)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Armylists > Dark Elves Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode