Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

2.5k Dark Elf

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Vaz 
#1 ·
I would like to add a Tower Master with Armour of Darkness in the Black Guard unit just not sure where to pull the points for it without hurting something else. Overall I like it but let know of any flaws you guys see. As always thoughts, opinions, criticisms welcome.

Lord:
Supreme Sorceress 335pts With Repeater Crossbow Unit
(LvL 4 Shadow Lore, Talismen of Preservation, Sacrificial Dagger, Ironcurse Icon)

Dreadlord 273pts With Cold One Knights
(Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One, Pendant of Khaeleth, Dragon Helm, Crown of Command, Luck Stone)

Hero:
Master 174pts With Cold One Knights
(BSB, Standard of Hag Graef, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One)

Core:
Black Ark Corsairs 460pts
(42 Models, Musician, Standard Bearer, Sea Serpent Banner)

Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen 335pts
(30 Models, Musician, Shields)

Assassin 145pts With Black Ark Corsairs
(Rune of Khaine, Touch of Death)

Special:
Cold One Knights 296pts
(8 Models, Dread Knight (Crimson Death), Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Swiftness)

Black Guard of Naggarond 306pts
(20 Models, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Murder)

Rare:
War Hydra 175pts

Total 2499pts

This is the army I was thinking of running next time I play. Corsairs will be ran 7 across 6 deep, Assassin will run with them to deal with unit Champions and Heroes models. Crossbows will be ran 10 across 3 deep, Sorceress will run with them to be her shield as well as add extra power to her spells should she need it. Dreadlord and Master will join the Cold One Knight making a hard hitting unit, should it be needed the Dreadlord will break off from knights to attack war machines. Black Guard will try to hit units on side flanks to support the Corsair and War Hydra units.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would like to add a Tower Master with Armour of Darkness in the Black Guard unit just not sure where to pull the points for it without hurting something else. Overall I like it but let know of any flaws you guys see. As always thoughts, opinions, criticisms welcome.

Lord:
(LvL 4 Shadow Lore, Talismen of Preservation, Sacrificial Dagger, Ironcurse Icon)
All good except one thing, an Xbowmen is almost double the points to sacrifice than a Spearman.

(Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One, Pendant of Khaeleth, Dragon Helm, Crown of Command, Luck Stone)
Best build: Whip of Agony (hits at str5, but allows use of a shield), Pendant of Khaeleth, Crown of command, shield, SDC, Heavy armour, Cold one. This gives you some points to play with... Dragon egg is handy for tough challenges.

Hero:
(BSB, Standard of Hag Graef, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One)
Don't like this. Too easy to One-shot. A Cauldron is far more effective.

Core:
No, Corsairs should be run as a unit of 24 (6 by 4) with the SSS and go on the flank.

Split into 3 units of 10. All should have Musicians and shields.

Drop this trash

Special:
Cold One Knights 296pts
(8 Models, Dread Knight (Crimson Death), Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Swiftness)
don't bother with Magic Items. Standard of Hag Graef is best.

Should have an AP standard.

Rare:
War Hydra 175pts
Get 2... or 4

Total 2499pts

This is the army I was thinking of running next time I play. Corsairs will be ran 7 across 6 deep, Assassin will run with them to deal with unit Champions and Heroes models. Crossbows will be ran 10 across 3 deep, Sorceress will run with them to be her shield as well as add extra power to her spells should she need it. Dreadlord and Master will join the Cold One Knight making a hard hitting unit, should it be needed the Dreadlord will break off from knights to attack war machines. Black Guard will try to hit units on side flanks to support the Corsair and War Hydra units.
Only MAJOR change is that your sacrificial bunker should be spearmen. Cheap and cheerful.

Masked Jackel is probably the one to go to for the best advice on Dark Elves, so perhaps drop him a PM.

#3 ·
Thanks for the feedback Orochi. Thing is I have used the spearman with Sorceress combo and it tens to become a main target in every game, for example last time game I use it in was against my friend that plays Brits he hit the unit with two trebuchet every turn until he got two units of cavalry to charge it, the unit didn't make it pass turn three, that why I figured I would try crossbowmen. I don't have a Cauldron but valid point on killing the Master should give the cold one unit the hag graef banner and Master the swiftness. Black Guard do have the AP banner. Only have one Hydra right now mainly play 1500 point just started going 2k and higher. Why don't you like the Assassin? I will say his a more wild card then anything but overall I used them well. If I drop the Assassin gives some points to play with. Also the gear setup for the Dread Lord, Master and Dread Knight where for just in case the Cold One Knight unit fight in more then one round, with the Hag Graef Banner they get to hit at Initiative, I may use the Whip of Agony build if I need more points to play around with. As always thoughts, opinions, criticisms welcome.

#4 ·
Well, the layout for the Dreadlord is the best you'll get on a competitive level.

The Assassin is now a moot unit, most characters are now built to be tanks/unkillable. Assassins just don't put out enough damage and can't take enough damage to be worthwhile.

A cauldron will allow you to get your spearmen block a nice 5++. A bit unit of 40+ won't be going anywhere.

If you're struggling with War machines, Harpies and Shades really help. Failing that, a Master on a Dark Pegasus.

#5 ·

Lord:
As Orochi said, a SacDag is best kept in a unit of spearmen. You said you had problems with trebuchets targeting the unit, but Crossbowmen will probably go away just as quickly if focus-fired on, Warriors will actually last longer and lose you less points. Sure, you might be losing guys, but in a SacDag block, they'd not have done much anyways, and it leaves more important stuff from being shot, so just let him shoot. However, keep in mind that RxB *do* make a good bunker for a second Sorceress, if you've ever run that. Power of Darkness makes more wizards very viable for Dark Elves.

Give him The Whip of Agony, and take a shield instead of a Great Weapon, and you can ditch the Dragon Helm, still have a 1+, and actually have more killy. S5 AP isn't as good as S6, that is, until you get rerolls every round due to ASF, and an extra attack.

Hero:
As Orochi said, this guy is kind of a waste. He is on a Cold One, so he won't die super easily, but he's still way too easy to kill, and doesn't have a real role. ASF can be bought on the base CoK. A CoB would buff the unit way more, if you have one. +1 A on a CoK unit rapes just about every elite I know of.

Core:
Down their size to 30 or 24. These guys are mostly there for the front ranks getting attacks, and because of their superior armor save, they don't need excess wounds to stave off shooting as much as others. You can use the points here to improve some of your other units. A couple Warmachine hunters are badly needed.

20+10 or 3 10's. These guys do better as small units, otherwise their footprint is too large. Keep in mind that they also make good flanking elements once your stuff is in combat.

Basically wasted points. If you absolutely must use him, however, I would suggest a Shades unit, and give him Manbane/Rending Stars. In this particular meta against Brets, you'll do quite well.

Special:
Cold One Knights 296pts
+1 to M isn't really worth it when you have to have a character to get that. If you have trouble with cavalry getting the charge off on you, I'd suggest using harrassing units. Another tactic is to leave a Hydra in a good spot for a flank charge, to scare them off, or throw the Hydra in front then flame to give the enemy something more immediate to take care of.

You should be able to afford a champion for these after you trim some fat off.

Rare:
War Hydra 175pts

Total 2499pts

Overall, your list is in need of some light units to serve as harrassment or warmachine hunters (Which it appears you've had some trouble with). If you have some Shades, try those out, they really do well in this role with AHW. Harpies can also work as a cheap alternative, but the models suck. Several of your units, especially the CoK and Corsairs really benefit from Cauldron usage. KB in particular on the Corsairs will help you out against Bret's. The harrassment units, if used properly can also keep his cavalry from getting too many charges off, which will severely hamper his ability to deal damage, at which point you have more than enough high-strength attacks to duke it out. You've got more dudes than him.

#6 · (Edited)
Lord:
Supreme Sorceress 335pts
(LvL 4 Shadow Lore, Talismen of Preservation, Darkstar Cloak, Ironcurse Icon)

Dreadlord 280pts With Cold One Knights
(Pendant of Khaeleth, Crown of Command, Whip of Agony, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One)

Hero:
Master 156pts With Cold One Knights
(BSB, Banner of Swiftness, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Beastmaster's Scourge, Cold One)

Core:
Black Ark Corsairs 345pts
(30 Models, Musician, Standard Bearer (Sea Serpent Banner)

Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen 159pts
(14 Models, Musician, Shields)

Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen 159pts
(14 Models, Musician, Shields)

Special:
Shades 126pts
(7 Models, Additional Hand Weapon, Light Armor)

Shades 126pts
(7 Models, Additional Hand Weapon, Light Armor)

Cold One Knights 306pts
(8 Models, Dread Knight, Musician, Standard Bearer (Standard of Hag Graef)

Black Guard of Naggarond 345pts
(20 Models, Tower Master (Armour of Darkness), Musician, Standard Bearer (Banner of Murder)

Rare:
War Hydra 175pts

Total 2497pts

Thanks for the feedback Masked Jackal.

Went with two 7 model Shade units.

#7 ·
2 units of Shades would probably be better, although a unit of Dark Riders can be a thorn in pretty much any armies side. Depends on your main opponents I guess.

If you drop the Magical Items from the Tower Master and CoK champion, you save yet more points. Elves fellas are T3 with 1W... Magic Items aren't worth it on them.

#8 ·
Bretonnia, Vampire Counts, Dwarfs, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, and Daemons of Chaos are the main armies I face. Yea was thinking two Shade units myself. I may drop Soulrender from the Dread Knight but I like the Armour of Darkness on the Tower Master, he kick ass against other unit Champions and can hold his own against many heroes too.

#9 ·
Soulrender is a bit weird on the CoK champ, but I actually agree with Armor of Darkness on the Tower-Master. It's worth it just for the reward of seeing your opponents face when your measly T3 W1 character refuses to die.

#10 ·
That is; until it gets hit by S5/6 Attacks (Breton/Demigryph/Black Knight Charge, Halberd Warriors), blown away by Gunlines (Dwarves/Empire; or in the case of combat Dwarves, gets hit S6 Longbeard GW's), or Killing Blow (Wights/Bloodletters), or Terrorbombed out the battlefield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.