Baron 1k Against Noob Tau =] - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-11, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

SkaVen's Flag is: Australia

Default Baron 1k Against Noob Tau =]

Hello there all.
I have been interested in running a baron list for a while, and one of my friends has just gotten into the hobby, and plays tau, so i figured as I'm used to playing MEQs, and he's just plain new, we could learn to use our armies together =]

1k:
Baron,

9 Hellions
-Helliarch
-Agoniser

10 Hellions
-Helliarch
-Agoniser
-Phantasm 'nades

5 Scourges
-Solarite
-2 Haywire Blasters
-Blaster

10 Mandrakes
-Nightfiend

6 Reavers
-2 Heat Lances
-Arena Champion
-Agoniser
-Cluster Caltrops

1000pts

I wanted this to be themed to a street gang, like in the fluff, so I don't want to include vehicles.

My opponents list at 1k usually consists of something like this;
Shas'o
2 Crisis Suits
12 Fire Warriors w/ 2 Gun Drones
12 Fire Warriors w/ Devilfish Transport
Hammerhead w/ Railcannon
and a small group of kroot.

Now, My basic plan is to run the Baron with the group of 9 Hellions, giving them the phantasm 'nades they need for assaulting into cover. My 2 groups of skyboarders will move up into 18" range of Kroot and/or Stationary firewarrior squad, to give me the edge in shooting at those targets. The kroot will run towards me of course, so I will spray them with splinters till they stop twitching. The stationary fire Warrior squad will also suffer, as I will be firing 2 shots per model, and they can only fire 1 per turn in response at that range.

My Scourges will make their way up the board, using their haywire blasters to keep the hammerhead shaken and stunned; That rail cannon blast template will give my hellions a REALLY bad day. My reavers will move up fast, either moving in to heat lance the hammerhead, or going after the crisis suits.

Finally, I know the mandrakes don't fit in with the street gang theme, but I figure, since they come out of the shadows, and this is the type of force that would attack in dark, cramped quarters, that these boys were too good to leave at home. Firstly, they deploy 18" away from the enemy. This in itself is good, as my opponent will either A) Fire some shots at the 'drakes, leaving my faster moving elements less damaged, or B) Ignore them, meaning they'll get a second turn charge with 31 s4 Attacks on the charge. Also add the fact that after their first pain token, they get a ranged AP4 weapon, which means they can ignore armour on the other FW squad, making the killing much easier.

=]

If my advice helps in any way, please hit the +Rep Button like a man :D
------------------------------------------------------

Black Templars
7W - 2D - 3L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-11, 08:57 PM

Mortalis's Flag is: USA

Nice fluff army for sure.... Only things i would do is drop the Sol and blaster out of the scourge squad and the champ and ag from the reavers. Reavers should never really get in to true hand to hand as they should just run thou units and cut heads off, I would also drop the heat lances and pick up blasters. But these are just personal thoughts.

Mortalis

"Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't"

-- General George S. Patton

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-11, 11:22 PM

If you're sitting 18" away from a squad of 12 Pulse Rifle armed Fire Warriors, what stops them just from stepping 6" forward in their Movement phase and then toasting you with 24 BS3, S5 AP shots? That's more than enough to wipe out a 10 man Hellion squad with just average rolling. I think you might want to rethink the idea of standing back and shooting at an army which is specifically designed for shooting... Assaulting them and cutting the poor WS pansies to shreds might be a good thought though...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-11, 10:51 PM

Mundungu's Flag is: USA

Hellions are great at CC. S3 +1 from weapon +1 Furious Charge +1 Combat Drugs. While you are unlikely to get all of them at once, you are still going to have a good chance of being str 4-5 on the charge. If you get locked in, hit and run out in their assault phase to get a second charge.

RIP CSM Jan/2012.
See you next codex

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Dark Eldar Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode