2000 Competitive Mechanized MSU - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

Default 2000 Competitive Mechanized MSU

It's kinda like razorback spam meets dark eldar mobility. Has played really well so far in testing.

HQ:
60- Haemonculus with liquifier gun (rides with incubi, doesn't really ever disembark, acts as a flamer on the vehicle and gives the incubi his pain token when they disembark)
135- Archon with agonizer, shadow field, and phantasm grenade launcher (rides with the incubi typically, lets them actually use their initiative when assaulting into cover thanks to his grenade launcher)

Elites:
183- 4 Trueborn with blasters, Venom with 2x splinter cannons and night shields
183- 4 Trueborn with blasters, Venom with 2x splinter cannons and night shields
296- 8 Incubi, Klaivex with Demiklaives and Onslaught, Raider with Flickerfield

Troops:
125- 5 Warriors with blaster, Venom with 2x splinter cannons
130- 5 Warriors with blaster, Raider with flickerfield

Heavy Support:
125- Ravager with 3x Dark Lances, flickerfield, and night shield

This list is not incredibly diverse, amounting to dark lances and blasters for anti-tank and splinter cannons and rifles for anti-infantry. It also has a lot of KP, being an MSU army (multiple small units.)
What it does have is 27 strength 8 ap 2 lance shots with enough mobility and accuracy to make them count, and 60 splinter cannon shots. Up close the warriors can add another 60 poisoned shots. This makes it primarily a fragile mobile shooting army which I think is playing to the strength of DE.
For a counter-assault or assault role there is the incubi deathstar, which is hideously effective. With FNP and 3+ armor they are incredibly tough to kill without power weapons, and with all power weapons and great initiative and WS, they tend to slaughter most enemy assault units. Once they kill one unit and get furious charge, they get even more nasty, though typically the first unit they kill is the opponent's best assault unit led by their HQ, so they usually nab 2 pain tokens in their first outing. If their raider is destroyed, it's not like they can't just hop into another and keep going.

Comments, criticisms, questions, areas for improvement?

Last edited by Culler; 12-13-10 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 11:12 PM

Well it definitely is risky but if you feel comfortable playing it that is all that matters.

My biggest concerns are the following:

Incubi are great but they have no inv saves which means that anything with lots of PW or rending attacks will own them. Best example that comes to mind right of the bat is Banshees but I am sure there are others.

Since the Incubi squad is the only CC threat in your entire army don't be surprised if they keep getting shot down repeatedly. I hope that's not the plan because its an expensive unit to be used as a fire magnet.

Consider having 2 squads of 4-5 Incubi instead of the mega squad. They are too good at what they do with their PWs which means you will kill what ever you assault on your round and then be gunned down on your opponent's shooting phase. 4-5 have a better chance of leaving a few alive and thus remain in CC until your opponent's Assault phase where they will in all likelihood finish them off.

Drop the Klaivex+Demiklaives+Onslaught for these kind of points you can get 3 Incubi and have a point left over. That's 9 attacks on the charge and 3 wounds.

You have more then enough lances to kill anything that rolls or hovers so consider replacing one ravager for a Talos+TL HeatLance+ChainFlails (same cost as the Ravager) that will add CC capability that your army desperately lacks while maintaining the AT capability.

Regards,
Immelman
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 12:25 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well it basically looks very similar to some other army plans I've seen, except with MSU Warriors rather than the mix of Warriors, Wracks and Hellions I've looked at.

How has it performed KP-wise? It's really only that as well as the sheer monetary cost that is stopping me investing in more than a couple of Venoms.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-10, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
How has it performed KP-wise? It's really only that as well as the sheer monetary cost that is stopping me investing in more than a couple of Venoms.
So far OK. I haven't played any KP games thus far, but the first 2 turns usually see my opponent ahead in KP until I get their anti-tank locked down. The last games saw 3 of my units die (2 raiders and a warrior squad) on my opponent's first turn, with my units making a rally turn 2 and taking 3 KP back as the incubi took out a unit of bikers with a sanguinary priest and the rest of the army downed a rhino.

Right now I'm looking at exchanging some raiders for more venoms, though I really like the idea of just being able to put the incubi on a new raider to keep them moving if that's what the game plan calls for. Having more CC power in the form of a talos might be nice, but this army is all about speed and shooting with the assault element just being there to counter the enemy's suped-up assault unit (which they do admirably) and the Talos is too slow to keep up.
There are few units out there like banshees that incubi will perform poorly against, but with an abundance of fast transports and fleet they should be able to pick their targets. If I can't stop their hard counters with the rest of my army's shooting, I've already lost. But honestly, of the assault units you're likely to see, few perform well against them. The large swarm units like a slugga mob have to deal with their good save, and smaller elite units that pack more power weaponry are going to tend to have lower initative and a low enough model count that the incubi can wipe out the threat before they strike, such as terminators, death company, command squads, or thunderwolf cavalry.

I can't think of any unit besides banshees, walkers, and some MCs that they'd have trouble with.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Dark Eldar Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode