The Baron's Flaying Circus - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-10, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

The Baron's Flaying Circus

Okay, since the Dark Eldar came out top in my next army poll (check out the link), I've started thinking about what I want in that army, namely something that has a lot of firepower and is exceedingly manuverable.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=77031

Anyway here's the list:

Baron Sathonyx - 105 points.

10 Helions, Heliarch with Phantasm Grenade Launcher & Stunclaw - 195 points.

10 Kabalites, Blaster, Dark Lance, Sybarite with Agoniser, Raider with Night Shields - 230 points.

10 Kabalites, Blaster, Dark Lance, Sybarite with Agoniser, Raider with Night Shields - 230 points.

Ravager with Night Shields - 115 points.

The Kabalites will hold rear objectives while the Helions swoop from cover to cover, sniping at enemy squads before dashing for objectives late in the game.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gochu85
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-10, 08:04 AM
Daxora's Flag is: Hungary

Nice hellion heavy army, i wrote a similar one myself. Hovever I included Sliscus, for a naughty drug boost.
A haemonculus or two may also be nice, since your hellions could start the game with FnP.

On the other hand, you could save some points on the following:

One hellion squad won't need the grenade launcher, since the Baron also has one. And it's optional IMO on the others as well. You'll have one squad to clean the forests and ruins, the others wouldn't need to go in those. Not to mention dangerous terrain tests.

The blasters seem like a waste on the warriors, since they'll shoot the heavy lances.

What's the point in those dedicated raiders? If only for the lances, 3 trueborns with 2 lances would be cheaper.

My 2 cents.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-10, 05:17 PM

beakerpsych's Flag is: Canada

I agree with daxora about sliscus esp. The stunclaws arent really great either. (as most independent characters will hurt the unit so much, and if you have abducted then you don't get to shoot next turn)

All war is based on deception.
All war is based on deception.
(Sun Tzu)

Res/authors/s/sun_tzu.html#ixzz17CtdF2

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-10, 05:44 PM
Daxora's Flag is: Hungary

Quote:
The stunclaws arent really great either. (as most independent characters will hurt the unit so much, and if you have abducted then you don't get to shoot next turn)
Agreed, but I'd keep one at the Barons unit. It can be really useful, agains a Lash Sorc, or an IG Comissar, or the like. So against an army like those, it would be a shame not to have any.

I'd use them like: Charge a unit, run at the end of turn, take the IC, in his turn run again, not taking the IC. On my next turn i can shoot the character, or charge him again.
Not to mention the opportunity of taking a really annoying IC out of position (like Eldrad), or bringing them in front of my gunline (just like CSM Lash does).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-10, 07:35 PM

Nice list. I'd go Flickerfields instead of Night Shields, just because most armies will be firing 48" range weapons at the Ravagers anyway, which on a standard table i no issue to get within 42". At least the Flickerfields will give you a chance to ignore some of the hits.

From my own experience so far, 10 man Hellions don't fare very well own thier own. So you'll need to coordinate your squad's attacks very well, especially since you're not taking haemy's to start them with FnP. I'll also second Daxora, in that, only the Baron's squad should be hopping from cover to cover, as he can re roll terrain tests.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-10, 10:25 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Also worth noting about Stunclaws is that they allow you to hit and run at the end of every combat round, not just the enemies. This is especially good with Baron who lets you reroll the dice, and stops you getting locked for two turns in a bad situation.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Dark Eldar Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode