2000 Point Dark Eldar List - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-23-15, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Dante Mada's Flag is: USA

Default 2000 Point Dark Eldar List

Hello everyone. Fairly new to the WarHammer 40k scene, but have been playing for about a few weeks or so. Picked up on it pretty well, and am looking into making a damn good army for the frail but deadly Dark Eldar.

HQ:
Archon - Animus Vitae, Huskblade, HWG, Shadow Field, Soul Trap, WWP 195pts
Haemonculus - Helm of Spite, Crucible of Malediction, Hexrifle, WWP, Flesh Gauntlet 170pts

Elites:
Grotesque x6 210pts (Drop in with Haemonculus, Grotesquerie Formation)
Incubi x4 and Klaivex 110pts (Drop in with Archon)
Kabalite Trueborn x4 Blasters, x2 Dark Lance, and Dracon with HWG and Blast Pistol. Raider with Dark Lance and Night Shield 282pts

Troops:
x2 units of Kabalite Warriors x9, Sybarite with HWG, Raider with Disint Cannon, Splinter Racks, Night Shields 360pts

Fast Attack:
Razorwing Jetfighter with Disint Cannon (Might get rid of Blast pistol on Dracon and put on Dark Lance), Monoscythe Missile, Night Shield 145pts
Reavers x6 Two Reavers with Cluster Caltops 126pts

Heavy Support:
Cronos with Spirit Probe 125pts
Talos with TL Haywire Blaster and Ichor Injector 140pts
Talos with TL Heat Lance and TL Liquifier Gun 140pts

Total points: 2003. 1998 if I switch the Blast Pistol for the Dark Lance on the Razorwing.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to getting more involved with the Dark Eldar as my first army. Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-23-15, 02:08 PM

Sworn Radical's Flag is: Germany

Hey there, let's see if I can give some feedback on your list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Mada View Post
HQ:
Archon - Animus Vitae, Huskblade, HWG, Shadow Field, Soul Trap, WWP 195pts
Haemonculus - Helm of Spite, Crucible of Malediction, Hexrifle, WWP, Flesh Gauntlet 170pts
365 pts. sunk into HQ units is waaaay too much IMHO.
It's not like you're playing Harlequins who suffer from exactly this phenomenon (and aren't anything near competitive in the slightest).

Your Archon is extremely expensive. I admit, costs rack up once you start to add useful and necessary options (like a WWP), but try and firgure out his role in your list: In this case, he's supposed to be a melee beatstick, precision deep-striking with you Incubi.
Right, you won't be able to assault anyways in the turn you arrive from Deep Strike Reserve.
And without a transport vehicle your Incubi / Archon unit will be extremely vulnerable to enemy fire.
Drop one Incubus and get them a transport (read: Venom) to enable a potential turn 2 assault and drop a few goodies on the Archon. All (s)he needs will be a Huskblade or Agoniser, a Shadow Field and eventually the Soul Trap.
HWG are debatable. It's not like you'd want to have the unit trapped in close combat against walkers or the like.

If (and only if) you want to use an Archon to precision deep strike a unit with a WWP, it will be a shooting unit 99% of the time, getting them in exact range. Examples would be a unit of Medusae, or a unit of tank-hunting Blaster-wielding Trueborn for example.

Now, taking into consideration everything just said, a Succubus is a much better (and cheaper) selection to complement a unit of Incubi. Succubus, Archite Glaive, Armour of Misery. Spice up with HWG if you like.

If you're set on the Archon for fluff reaons, by all means keep him though. Just try to slim him down a bit.

Haemonculus:
He's fine, and you'll need him if you're going to run a Grotesquerie.
Though, it means you'll be needing two HQ choices. One for the CAD (Archon in your case) and a Haemonculus for the Grotesquerie.
The essence is: Try to slim him down (see a pattern ?) as well.
Syndriq's Sump and Scissorhands. End of Story.
A Grotesquerie always consists of two units of Grotesques, and I strongly suggest 2 groups of 4 in a Raider each. You are still able to deep strike 'em this way, but I'd suggest placing them on the board normally.
Also ... a Grotesquerie works extremely well with a ... Succubitch. Surprise !
Unit 1: Grotesques, Raider & Haemonculus.
Unit 2: Grotesques, Raider & Sucky.
There you go. Could even lose the Incubi if you're not bound on keeping them for their aesthetics since you now have a pair of very capable melee units.

Quote:
Elites:
Grotesque x6 210pts (Drop in with Haemonculus, Grotesquerie Formation)
Incubi x4 and Klaivex 110pts (Drop in with Archon)
See above for recommendations on how to run the Incubi and / or Grotesquerie.

Quote:
Kabalite Trueborn x4 Blasters, x2 Dark Lance, and Dracon with HWG and Blast Pistol. Raider with Dark Lance and Night Shield 282pts
It can be done.
Though, this unit is extremely expensive and essentially your only one with reliable anti-tank capabilities except the Taloi.
Personally, I'd suggest going for 'Blasterborn' (that's 5 Trueborn with 4 Blasters in a Venom) and then take two or three of these units, or, if you really want to keep a unit with six lance hots, trimming away the Dracon at least. HWG give or take, if six lances won't bring it down, then a single HWG won't either.
Trueborn with Blasters / Lances are a one of the aforementioned units that might be worth deep-striking with a WWP Archon for a surgical strike (just food for thoughts).

Quote:
Troops:
x2 units of Kabalite Warriors x9, Sybarite with HWG, Raider with Disint Cannon, Splinter Racks, Night Shields 360pts
I'm going to quote myself here, from another recent army list post:

Matter of factly, there's 4 to 5 ways to run Kabalites.

- Unit of 5, no upgrades (cheap unit) in a Venom w. additional Cannon. Pure anti-infantry. Has no anti-armour capability.
- Unit of 5, one Blaster, plus the Venom. This is what most people run. Anti-infantry from the Venom, the Kabalite with Blaster will try to pop a transport.
- Unit of 5, one Blaster, Sybarite with Haywires, plus the Venom. More anti-armour from the passengers, but more expensive. Still, some people use this option.
- Unit of 10, no upgrades in a Raider (weapon of choice), PLUS Night Shields and SPLINTER RACKS. This is essential: You want your 20 poison shots to be re-rollable, at all costs. Some people add a Splinter Cannon to the unit of 10, but personally I feel its too expensive and not really necessary with this setup.
If you have spare points, add a naked Sybarite for a pip of LD, so they won't run so easily. But given the fact Kabalites are about as tough as tissue paper, they probably die anyway once their transport got popped.
- The fifth method is ... daring, to say the least. Take 20 Kabalites (max unit size), spice up with weapons or not, and attach them to a cheap (!) Haemonculus. Advance them across the board, laugh like a maniac when they get shot to pieces, and be happy that your opponent is wasting shots / firepower at them. Essentially a scare tactic, nothing more. Oh, and if they get lucky they might just kill something or sit on an objective.

Your two units of gunboat ridin' Kabalites obviously belong into category four, and you want them to take down infantry and not waste a turn throwing a single HWG.
Thus you can easily drop the HWG as well as the Sybarite upgrade.

Quote:
Fast Attack:
Razorwing Jetfighter with Disint Cannon (Might get rid of Blast pistol on Dracon and put on Dark Lance), Monoscythe Missile, Night Shield 145pts
Reavers x6 Two Reavers with Cluster Caltops 126pts
Get Lances on the Razorwing and drop the Nightshields. Jinking means you won't be able to fire the missiles in the turn after jinking.

Reavers are good. If you can, run two units of six each. They're easily one of the best units in the DE codex.

Quote:
Heavy Support:
Cronos with Spirit Probe 125pts
Talos with TL Haywire Blaster and Ichor Injector 140pts
Talos with TL Heat Lance and TL Liquifier Gun 140pts
Hmm, I don't see much synergy between the Chronos and the rest of your list.
I'd drop it and invest the points in something else.
Given your theme this might either be a Corpsethief Claw since you're running Taloi anyways and it would complement your Grotesquerie, or more units of Kabalites / Trueborn in transports.
There's a lot of people who only take the minimum 2 troop choices these days, but personally I always try to cram in 1 unit with 'objective secured' per 500 pts. in my lists. Thus, at 2.00 points I'd bring 4 units of Kabalites. But that's only personal taste, and my preference to grab objectives fast and easy.
As for your Taloi ... I like both shooting options, Haywire Blaster or Heat Lance. The majority of players go Haywire though, but both options work.
Ditch the Liquifier ... Ichor Injector if you upgrade at all.

Hope this helps a bit !

40k Armies: Dark Eldar / Adepta Sororitas
WHFB Armies: Vampire Counts / Empire / various Elves
Horus Heresy: Alpha Legion / Warp Cult
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-23-15, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Dante Mada's Flag is: USA

Thank you for the feedback. I did take most of that into consideration. I ended up taking off the incubi, webway portals on both HQs, and some of the artefacts. I also agree with the Blasterborn choice. Much deadlier and a little cheaper than running them on a raider. I'm now keeping the Archon and Hamonculus coated in Grotesques, flying them in raiders with no special gear on the bird. Grotesques now have liquifier guns, too. I changed the Hammie so he would have the scissorhand and a flesh gauntlet. Is that too much or just fine? I'm also running 6 extra reavers, 2 with caltrops on them.

I realized my unit is now mostly Assault based, which is fine because that's where most of them shine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Dark Eldar Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode