Chaos Space Marine Cosplay - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-02-10, 10:46 PM

Wow Absolutely Fantastic! I'm from 405th and I was going to do a freehand fold and fiberglass then resin since my friend introduced me to Warhammer for Gamesday 2010. I was unaware that there were actually pep files for Warhammer characters until now! Would have been much harder to make armor without them. Your suit looks great. Is there any way that you can upload the files or send them to me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-02-10, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vali ThunderAxe View Post
lol very small hands.
Any plans for a warp blade or chainsword?
Do you guys want to see my Bolt Pistol and Chainsword plans? I will post them if you're interested.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-03-10, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Horgh's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boc View Post
Looks badass!

Now out of morbid curiosity, as I've never really had experience with this type of thing...

Let's see if I understand the process:

You use the program to digitally design a 3D image which is then printed onto paper. Is there a certain type of paper you have to purchase (I presume so) and if so, where do you get it from?

Once you build the suit, you mentioned coating it with resin, etc. How well does the paper-material hold up to the additional weight, and do you remove it once it has dried? (Yes I know, I'm getting way ahead!)

Great work so far though, look forward to seeing more

Fair enough, this is the process I'll be using:

So far I've started to resin my Chest, Helmet, Shoulders and part of my Bolter (started again and did it in cardboard for structural reasons), and I'll do the other parts later on. I have applied a few thin layers of resin over the top of the paper structures, once I've done this I'll be adding the extra detail, like ridges, arrows, spikes, things that are going to be a part of the armour. After this I'll then be taking some fibreglass and coating it on the outside (possibly on the inside too), this is to strengthen the structure.

After I've applied the fibreglass I'll be sanding it down, ensuring there are no enormous bumps, then after that I'll be getting body filler (Bondo if you're in America, which I'm not, so it's just automotive body filler for me) and smearing that on and sanding that down. That will make everything as smooth as possible so then I'll be able to paint it.

For obvious reasons, thick paper is much better. I'm using 150 gsm (grams per square metre) and most of the 405th guys are using 200~300 - but I'm happy with 150. You must be careful though, as some printers might be severely damaged if you try to print on paper that's too thick for it. For glue I use either PVA or my Glue Gun. The paper structure holds up fine against the resin, better than I thought, but it does depend on how strong the structure is in the first place. What I should have done and will be doing for my future pieces of armour is making a temporary drying stand (just made out of cardboard with the glue gun) so that it can hold the pieces in place, but not warp them while I work or while they dry.

You can't really take the paper out of the piece, it's basically what's holding it all together. It won't resemble paper when you're finished with it anyway (if you do it right, that is). This is the finished product of the process above, just with halo gear.

And all of that was paper (minus the soft armour underneath the plating) It's very surprising how good it can look afterwards, you just need to take your time. If you are considering doing this, then you can do worse than joining 405th and asking there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog9287 View Post
Wow Absolutely Fantastic! I'm from 405th and I was going to do a freehand fold and fiberglass then resin since my friend introduced me to Warhammer for Gamesday 2010. I was unaware that there were actually pep files for Warhammer characters until now! Would have been much harder to make armor without them. Your suit looks great. Is there any way that you can upload the files or send them to me?
http://www.4shared.com/dir/-dhpIoyO/sharing.html <-- that my 4shared folder full of the stuff I made (didn't make the 'regular space marine' stuff though), there are some doubles, and I really need to organise them at some point, so I suggest just download everything and go through and use what you want.

Good god this post is long.

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-03-10, 10:08 PM
Powered by Squig Tea

Viscount Vash's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horgh View Post
Good god this post is long.
But very useful.

Thankyou for sharing and explaining. Great thread.

Have some Reppage.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-04-10, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horgh View Post
http://www.4shared.com/dir/-dhpIoyO/sharing.html <-- that my 4shared folder full of the stuff I made (didn't make the 'regular space marine' stuff though), there are some doubles, and I really need to organise them at some point, so I suggest just download everything and go through and use what you want.
Nice! Thanks so much!
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-10-10, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

So here's a tiny update, I remade the arms, because the previous ones were WAY too flimsy for fibreglassing, there was no inner support or anything. Anyway, so here's what I constructed:

It's sturdy as hell, so it can take the fibreglass and some. My first criticism, however, is that I think it's a bit too big. I aught to scale it down a touch, otherwise bending my arm will be more or less impossible. While I'm making changes, I thought I'd take this opportunity to ask you guys what you think of the arm so far:

Sketch, draw, doodle anything that you think you'd change, or you'd want to see different about this arm. Come on, I need your help here.

I AM A MESSIAH OF SORTS.
PROBABLY.

Making my CSM suit, topic is here.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-10-10, 10:10 AM
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Looking good so far mate. My only suggestions are, as you've sais, scale it down a little. And I'd like to see the rim at the elbow, where the spikes come down, a little thinner, at the moment i think it's thickness takes away from the awesome spikes.

Keep up the good work.

post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-10-10, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

How do you mean? If you could point it out via paint, that'd be more helpful.

I AM A MESSIAH OF SORTS.
PROBABLY.

post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-10, 08:44 AM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

very nice, use of computers will ease your way, however, make sure you focus on the joints, for if you cannot move, then you might as well be making a statue

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-20-10, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Update with the arm and jazz.

The previous one was pretty hefty, after resizing it, it's at a good size.

Comparing the two shows just how monstrous the previous really was.

Enough of that, the one things that are missing are the legs and backpack (which I'll be doing from scratch cardboard). These are the designs for the legs so far:

Just a normal leg with a spike, and this one:

Which will have space for a skull:

Any criticisms? Changes? Etc, please let me know.

The lady friend has gone away for a week, and I've finished education until October so I'll be working on this thing a lot over the coming days.

As always, the stuff I've posted is freely available on my 4shared library, help yourself if you want to have a go.

I AM A MESSIAH OF SORTS.
PROBABLY.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Cosplay, L.A.R.P & Re-Enactment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode