A Warrior is More Than His Armour! Reaper Dons the Beskar'gam - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charandris View Post
Looks excellent, great to see you doing the armour yourself having looked for DIY mandalorian armour all over the internet and only finding expensive bought resin parts.
Going to have a crack at this myself, how are you doing the jet pack?
For the foreseeable future, I don't plan on using a jetpack. I might sculpt the vok'chi (uk segment of the mando mercs) logo onto the back plate though. And have a kick ass cape!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 11:52 PM

Ah ok cool sounds good to me! I dream of one day owning a decent chewbacca costume...
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Quote:
Ah ok cool sounds good to me! I dream of one day owning a decent chewbacca costume...
I'm currently trying to figure out how to do the flak vest and then the build will be going full steam ahead. As to the wookie, here's a thread for you.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-13, 05:57 PM

Are you still working on this? Please do post an update if you are! Just about to post some mandalorian armour of my own thay i started today.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-13, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Quote:
Are you still working on this? Please do post an update if you are! Just about to post some mandalorian armour of my own thay i started today.
I am indeed still working on it. Unfortunately real life took a huge dump on me in the form of over £2k in bills so all my funds have been diverted to that.

BUT, I do have the undersuit and have started forming the plates. The biggest hurdle I've been facing is the vest. I've decided to use a black t-shirt as a place holder for the time being so that I can get a non-mercs approved beta version finished before summer's end.

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-13, 08:43 PM

Sorry i didnt acknowledge your previous post, im sure my phones ben playing up as i couldnt see it last time i was online. Im glad your still doing stuff with this, understand about the finance issue, imagine its been a bit of a kick in the 'nads :/
Look forward to seeing the flight suit. The suit im working on atm is just a practice but my next one will hopefully meet the Mercs high standards.
Quick question, how will you be attaching the armour to a vest/Tshirt? Im stuck for ideas :/
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-14, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Rise my log of death, your master has returned!

Yep, I'm finally back. It's been nearly a year since I last posted any progress on this project. There was a huge chunk where no progress was made, mainly due to a combination of being incapable of making the flak vest, and having very little money.

But in the last sort of month a lot of progress has been made:

I've finally purchased a flak vest that should arrive any day now.

I bought a helmet:

And I've started painting and weathering my armour:

All my plates except the collar (which needs a fixing for the cape attaching), my backplate (which I need help forming around my body) and my gauntlets (which I still need to build ) have been painted red and have had the masking fluid (toothpaste) applied to begin weathering. I just need to pick up a can of white paint to apply the accent colours.

The other things I need to get hold of or finish off are:

Cut and dye my girth belt and cape.
Buy some boots.

So it's coming together very nicely. Once the vest arrives I can start experimenting with my attachments methods. And that will be when the project really takes off!

As always, comments and criticism are welcome.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-14, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Update time!

Started working on stage 2 of the masking process; applying the white accents. I started with the left thigh, knowing the what just going to run down the center. For the chest, collar and ab plates, they will be off centre and will need more precise lining up, which means I need to wait for my vest to arrive to see how they sit on my body.

I used painters tape and newspaper to mask off a roughly 1.5 inch line (I used the width of my steel ruler).

I then dusted the area with white, followed by 3 additional coats. It maybe could have done with one more coat, but as I'm going to be weathering it anyway, I thought I'd save the paint.

Here's the result:

Overall, I'm really pleased with how it has come out. The lines are really nice with only the tiniest bit of bleed on one side. But that will get sorted during weathering. I like how striking it is, and think it should look awesome once the toothpaste comes off and you get the layered effect.

I'm going to wait for another couple of hours for the paint to really dry before I remove the toothpaste and start weathering. I'll keep you posted.

Let me know what you think.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-14, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

So, there's been a fair amount of progress the last few days:

Weathered the plates that I had painted so far:

Then my vest finally arrived:

And I started working on the helmet:

The project is really coming along now and I'm loving where its going.

C&C, as always, is welcome.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-14, 07:57 PM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

What is the material your using for the armor pads? Plastic, metal, or rubber?

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Cosplay, L.A.R.P & Re-Enactment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode