Holy crap Humakt, those are great! I just might get those to replace the sunglasses I bought for the purpose!
The outfit has taken a back seat to my revamp of my 10,000pt Eldar army with the codex being rereleased (I'm optimistically buying FA choices such as Hawks and Vypers in the hopes that they don't suck in the new book) so there's a lot of painting to be done. However I have almost finished the chestpiece, I just need to make the Spirit Stone which is going to take the center position. I've got the casting resin and the colour and backing material et al, just need to make the mold for it!
Alright, so after painting and gaming a *lot* with the new Eldar codex (hence the lack of prgress on this front) we have a slight change of plan, as follows:
The plan was (and still is!) to do an Ulthwé Farseer/Warlock. However I have been looking and thinking and decided that it's possible to do a few different outfits using the same pieces, because Eldar armour is pretty universal. With that in mind, I've been looking at Rangers and Guardians as well, and decided to shift into a Ranger outfit for my first attempt, for a couple of reasons:
1. It requires the least amount of Pep work.
2. The weapons are easy, and look good.
3. Making a singing spear is a complete ballache, so it's pretty much on hold until I find a method to craft one that gives me a result that I like. So with that in mind...
(Pics are from Snugglemoogle on Deviantart - they're amazing, and a big inspiration for me to continue my work. All props and credit to him and his awesome Ranger outfit)
We turn a Nerf Longstrike into the rifle shown below.
There are, however, a couple of things that I want to do differently:
1. My gems are going to have mountings similar to those present on the Eldar models, to make them look a little more integrated into the body of the gun.
2. I'm not a huge fan of the Scope. I might do something different, or simply sculpt over the entire thing - not sure yet.
3. I'm going to smooth out the barrel a bit more, to ameliorate the blockiness of the first third of it.
Finally (this is a BIG challenge) I want it to work, if possible. Having seen a video of it being fired, that's going to be tricky for two reasons:
A. It's Bolt Action, which means I need to somehow conceal the bolt on both sides (it's super-large due to being intended for children) and also keep the bolt channel and firing chamber clear without it being obvious.
B. The Magazine is very very square and blocky, and is directly in the way of the balancing rod that is underneath the rifle pictured. Again, it needs to be concealed somehow or worked into the design.
Again, turning a Nerf gun into a functional Shuriken weapon!
This one should be a lot easier to keep functional for two reasons: It has no magazine (single shot weapon) and it actually loads from the back. You pull the green "loop" that's just above the grip and it slides out towards your wrist, allowing you to load a disc.
Because there are no moving parts apart from the trigger, loading mechanism and safety, it means I can sculpt freely around the top and sides, smoothing everything out with plasticard and putty to turn one into the other!
Is probably going to be a LARP Elvish weapon, simply because you can get them for £20-25, they look decent enough, and they're safe and legal to carry about. Crafting my own out of wood or something could cause trouble I don't need and will take longer and require more money and effort than I think it's actually worth.
So I've done some sketches of the pistol concept (despite sucking at drawing!) and I'm really confident that I can make it work. The Longstrike is a lot more complex so won't be able to plan that as easily until I actually get my hands on one.
The deadline I have set for myself (now that I'm well settled into 6th and the Eldar have been played enough) is to see if I can go to the MCM London Convention in October, 25th-27th because I don't think I'm going to be done in time for Games Day this year - which is a shame as it was the original intent.
So the pistol is going well, I've got about 30% of it green-stuffed (well, milliput) and a fair amount of the plasticarding done. Hopefully it'll be 100% finished by the end of the week.
Because I don't have internet at home, I'm going to take pics as I go along and then upload them all at once when I go round someone's house who has a connection lol, so there might be nothing, then an explosion of progress in 30 minutes!
So this has been... interesting. Certainly the core concept works, but the little details and actual execution are trickier than I had at first thought. Nonetheless, it's coming along, but I think I'm going to have to extend the barrel because it looks rather snubby at the moment.