Farseer Cosplay - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-18-13, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Holy crap Humakt, those are great! I just might get those to replace the sunglasses I bought for the purpose!

The outfit has taken a back seat to my revamp of my 10,000pt Eldar army with the codex being rereleased (I'm optimistically buying FA choices such as Hawks and Vypers in the hopes that they don't suck in the new book) so there's a lot of painting to be done. However I have almost finished the chestpiece, I just need to make the Spirit Stone which is going to take the center position. I've got the casting resin and the colour and backing material et al, just need to make the mold for it!

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Alright, so after painting and gaming a *lot* with the new Eldar codex (hence the lack of prgress on this front) we have a slight change of plan, as follows:

The plan was (and still is!) to do an Ulthwé Farseer/Warlock. However I have been looking and thinking and decided that it's possible to do a few different outfits using the same pieces, because Eldar armour is pretty universal. With that in mind, I've been looking at Rangers and Guardians as well, and decided to shift into a Ranger outfit for my first attempt, for a couple of reasons:

1. It requires the least amount of Pep work.
2. The weapons are easy, and look good.
3. Making a singing spear is a complete ballache, so it's pretty much on hold until I find a method to craft one that gives me a result that I like. So with that in mind...

post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Rifle

(Pics are from Snugglemoogle on Deviantart - they're amazing, and a big inspiration for me to continue my work. All props and credit to him and his awesome Ranger outfit)

We turn a Nerf Longstrike into the rifle shown below.

There are, however, a couple of things that I want to do differently:

1. My gems are going to have mountings similar to those present on the Eldar models, to make them look a little more integrated into the body of the gun.
2. I'm not a huge fan of the Scope. I might do something different, or simply sculpt over the entire thing - not sure yet.
3. I'm going to smooth out the barrel a bit more, to ameliorate the blockiness of the first third of it.

Finally (this is a BIG challenge) I want it to work, if possible. Having seen a video of it being fired, that's going to be tricky for two reasons:

A. It's Bolt Action, which means I need to somehow conceal the bolt on both sides (it's super-large due to being intended for children) and also keep the bolt channel and firing chamber clear without it being obvious.

B. The Magazine is very very square and blocky, and is directly in the way of the balancing rod that is underneath the rifle pictured. Again, it needs to be concealed somehow or worked into the design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rifle.jpg (103.6 KB, 12 views)

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Following on from previous, we have the...

Pistol

Again, turning a Nerf gun into a functional Shuriken weapon!

This one should be a lot easier to keep functional for two reasons: It has no magazine (single shot weapon) and it actually loads from the back. You pull the green "loop" that's just above the grip and it slides out towards your wrist, allowing you to load a disc.

Because there are no moving parts apart from the trigger, loading mechanism and safety, it means I can sculpt freely around the top and sides, smoothing everything out with plasticard and putty to turn one into the other!

Knife

Is probably going to be a LARP Elvish weapon, simply because you can get them for £20-25, they look decent enough, and they're safe and legal to carry about. Crafting my own out of wood or something could cause trouble I don't need and will take longer and require more money and effort than I think it's actually worth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Default Proton.jpg (91.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Shuriken Pistol.jpg (32.5 KB, 3 views)

post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 02:21 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

There is some really good looking ideas here Sethis. I can't wait to see what you manage with these.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-31-13, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

So I've done some sketches of the pistol concept (despite sucking at drawing!) and I'm really confident that I can make it work. The Longstrike is a lot more complex so won't be able to plan that as easily until I actually get my hands on one.

The deadline I have set for myself (now that I'm well settled into 6th and the Eldar have been played enough) is to see if I can go to the MCM London Convention in October, 25th-27th because I don't think I'm going to be done in time for Games Day this year - which is a shame as it was the original intent.

post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-05-13, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

So the pistol is going well, I've got about 30% of it green-stuffed (well, milliput) and a fair amount of the plasticarding done. Hopefully it'll be 100% finished by the end of the week.

Because I don't have internet at home, I'm going to take pics as I go along and then upload them all at once when I go round someone's house who has a connection lol, so there might be nothing, then an explosion of progress in 30 minutes!

post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 02:38 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

I wish you the best of luck Sethis. I have recently started making a Cosplay of a regular grunt from MGS revengence, and by comparison to my projects glacial progress yours is inspiring.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

So, update time!

I'm at my Dads place for a little while, so can use his net. Therefore pictures!

This is basically up-to-date, and I'm progressing on several fronts. Pistol, Gems and Armour.

Here are the sketches I made:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0494.JPG (181.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0495.JPG (164.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0497.JPG (174.2 KB, 0 views)

post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Pistol

So this has been... interesting. Certainly the core concept works, but the little details and actual execution are trickier than I had at first thought. Nonetheless, it's coming along, but I think I'm going to have to extend the barrel because it looks rather snubby at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0489.JPG (186.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0491.JPG (172.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0493.JPG (174.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0499.JPG (182.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0508.JPG (216.9 KB, 0 views)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Cosplay, L.A.R.P & Re-Enactment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode