Tau Sensor Towers & Drones - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-11, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Innovative Forge-Lord

Cypher871's Flag is: England

Default Tau Sensor Towers & Drones

Anybody who has built a moderately sized Tau army is bound to have spare Battlesuit weapons, Drones and maybe even Devilsfish weaponry. Well, if you have seen the Imperial Armour Apocalypse and Taros Campaign books you may have noticed some little extra's for the Tau...namely Sensor Towers, Heavy Drones and Technical Drones.

I am going to show you how to create a Sensor Tower from some of your spare Tau bits...dead easy, and great for objective markers.

Components and Tools

you will need a shield generator for the sensor dome, a Devilfish Burst Cannon for the extendable portion of the tower and four flamers for the base, you will also require a 40mm base.

Snips, a modeling knife and some glue are all you need for this job.

Note: For plastic models I always use liquid poly (plasticweld)...its almost like water in consistency and is excellent for gluing polystyrene based plastics as it melts the top layer of the bonding surface. There are varying strengths of this stuff available, some more aggressive than others so it's worth testing on a bit of sprue beforehand if you have never used it. You will also need an old brush for applying it (don't expect to use it for painting afterwards though ). Always ensure you have plenty of ventilation whilst using these solvents.

Process

1.) Start by carefully removing the fuel cells from the four flamers. Keep them safe...you will need them later.

2.) Now remove the ignitors from the four flamers...don't throw these away...I will show you a neat use for them later!

3.) Make a small reference mark on the centre of the base with your knife or a spot of white paint.

4.) Dab some glue on the arm spigots of two flamers (the bit that normally locates the weapon on the battlesuits arm)

5.) Press them together and leave for a few moments to bond. Place some glue on the rear of the flamers then, using the reference mark you made on the base, place the flamers on the base with the mark central to the flamers in both horizontal and vertical planes.

6.) Leave the two flamers to set a little then add a 3rd flamer at right angles to the exisitng two.

7.) Repeat the process with the last flamer. Make sure that the flamers are all perpendicular to the base and look symmetrical when viewed from above.

8.) Leaving the base to dry, take the Burst Cannon and saw off the barrels below the collar. Place some fine grade abrasive paper on a firm flat surface and, using a circular motion, lightly sand the cut area flat. Cut off the barrel tips on the opposite end and repeat the sanding process.

9.) Snip off the spiggot on the bottom of the Shield Generator; apply glue to the bottom of the Shield Generator and narrow end of the Burst cannon barrels then press together and leave to dry...making sure the Shield Generator is central.

10.) The base should be up to being handled now so snip off the muzzle of each flamer then gently sand the ends flat.

11.) Apply glue in between each of the flamers then stick each of the fuel cells (the bits you cut off in step one) in between the gaps with the 'cut' ends facing inwards. View the model from above to make sure the cells are at 45 degrees to the flamers and are all symmetrical.

12.) Apply glue to the tops of the flamers and the bottom of the Burst Cannon and fit together, making sure the Burst cannon barrels are in-line with the flamers and that the two parts are as centrally aligned as possible.

13.) Admire your handywork and leave to dry. Of course to get the best out of your creation you will need to clean up any mould lines and undercoat nicely before painting.

Remember those ignitors you cut off the flamers...you can use them to modify your battlesuit heads for a bit of diversity.

With a little bit of tweaking you can also create some of the Drones featured in the IA Taros Campaign and the IA Apocalypse books.

DX-4 Technical Drone & Shield Drone

Heavy Gun Drone & Heavy Gun Drone with Markerlight

Cypher

Last edited by Cypher871; 03-21-11 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 06:51 PM

piemaster's Flag is: United Kingdom

Nice work mate! I really like the modified drones and battlesuit head! The sensory tower is a good idea too. +rep for your efforts
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 07:36 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

This is an excellent tutorial, very well laid out and easy to follow. End result looks very good and it's a damn site cheaper than FW.

+rep for a brilliant post, and because i forgot to rep you for your crazy landraider with arms

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Innovative Forge-Lord

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 08:15 PM

kiro the avenger!'s Flag is: England

This may sound stupid( and remember I've never got a hammer head or skyray) but why would you have a spare devilfish burst cannon if you have to use them when making the model
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 08:23 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Nice work bud! Very cool tutorial. My pops is a Tau player and I am going to send this to him to let him check it out.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Innovative Forge-Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiro the avenger! View Post
This may sound stupid( and remember I've never got a hammer head or skyray) but why would you have a spare devilfish burst cannon if you have to use them when making the model
Good point, well presented...a Devilfish only comes with the one Burst Cannon. If you have a Hammerhead or Skyray though, you still get the Devilfish Cannon. In fact if you use the missile pods for your Hammerhead you will have 3 spare Burst Cannons.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 09:13 PM

alasdair's Flag is: United Kingdom

Great! I will be making some of those drones in the future! The technical drone especially! (if I have any plasma rifles left from all my marine killer suits!)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-11, 05:29 AM

Phenious's Flag is: USA

Even a strictly bug player like myself can't deny how easy and yet effective this is at making objective markers or terrain accents. Props my friend.

Do not fear the Hive Mind for it is good and we are all together. . .Or you will be! *Chomp*

2011-4/0/5
Hive Fleet Pyrausta- 2300 strong and growing.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-11, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Innovative Forge-Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasdair View Post
Great! I will be making some of those drones in the future! The technical drone especially! (if I have any plasma rifles left from all my marine killer suits!)

You don't need to chop up your Plasma Rifles...the bottom of the Technical Drone is made from the Drone Controller? that you get on the X25 Stealth Suit sprues.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Converting, Modelling and Green Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode