This is my first tut and hopefully not my last. I saw an image awhile back on scriborminatures.com with a chaplain that had flames coming out of his jet pack and decided I wanted to do that for my assault marines.
So here is what I did...
Florist Wire... (about the 2nd or 3rd thinnest.. you want it to have strength but be bendable)
Xacto Blade or Box Cutter whatever knife you use
Your Assault Marine
Now I dont have a picture of the first thing I did as it is pretty easy to explain.
Before cutting out the mini from the sprue I cut little grooves into the exhausts on the jet packs on either side to make a hole for the florist wire.
Now if you have bought them premade.. or whatever and have a pin vice you can just drill the holes out but since I dont have one of those I did it this way XD
Now I dont know if you all know about how to base using cork mats but its pretty easy, just break the mat up into pieces you want and glue them down. Slap lots of watered down PVA glue on to seal it. Looks like rocks or what have you. The reason I used cork mats is because a) I use it for the rest of my guys and b) the wire sticks into it real nice.
Which brings me onto my next part, cut the bits of wire to the same length and push it into the mats and then bend the wire into the shape you want.. remember to keep the bends in the same direction so it looks realistic
and leave a straight bit at the end so the wire goes into the jet pack.
Now for the green stuff.
I worked each flame separately. I found it easier to remove the wire from the cork and the mini so I can handle it easier, just be careful not to bend it out of shape..
I got the green stuff and rolled it out in a long cone like shape, larger at one end, smaller at the other and then pushed it into the wire.. so the wire was in the center. Then I worked my way from the top down twisting the green stuff around the wire with my fingers until it looked right. And I was left with!
new pictures of some more types of flames.
my friends favourite guy!
I will show a painted version later.. and some more of the mini's I did this to but I am leaving them unpainted until I have finished them all so I can add them into the conversion comp!
p.s please C&C!!