Khorne Daemonkin Tactics & Discussion - Page 22 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-24-15, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Cool stuff, @mayegelt .

I've been kicking around the idea of a Spartan Assault Tank and how best to use it with my army.

Obviously, it would "have" to belong to an allied detachment of CSM. But inside of it, I think I'd put 24 KD Cultists with a Herald of Khorne + Locus of Wrath. Upgrade the tank with a dirge caster, frag assault launchers, and one of the legacies of ruin. Either +1 khorne daemon save within 6", or 12" dirge caster range. On such a big tank, either one will work pretty well. 12" from that hull is a big chunk of the tabletop!

There are obviously deadlier units to put inside of the tank, such as Berzerkers, Terminators, or even a ton of Bloodletters with an Icon to precision DS other daemons of khorne (the only other viable option, IMO). With the +1 save upgrade, this unit would make more sense if anything is deep striking.

But the issue is cost. This is already a 300+ point investment not counting the unit inside. Fearless cultists with Rage rerolling misses in the first round of combat is pretty solid. (24*4)+1 for champ = 97 attacks on the charge ignoring the initiative penalty for charging into cover.

With the cultists, herald, and decked out tank, that's ~560 points. Still a huge chunk of the army, but leaves plenty of points for some friends to play with.

In general I favor MSU style play with KD, but this is just an alternative to that. A relatively cheap tarpit that will survive to cross the table (let's hope). The herald can actually put in some work on the charge, and can sit out the challenge if it makes sense.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-24-15, 02:27 PM

One thing I can't remember is if you can put multiple units in 1 transport. I know you can with Fortifications. If you can you could always lower the amount of cultists by 3-4 or maybe even up to 12 and throw in a Warpsmith or Lord as the CAD CSM leader and have a unit of KD Termy with combi flamers and fists/chains/claws. + if you go for the lower amount of cultists you could have some bloodletters. Of course this would boost the cost of the combined unit by a bit, but would give the option of at max charging in 3-4 different units.
post #213 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-24-15, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayegelt View Post
One thing I can't remember is if you can put multiple units in 1 transport. I know you can with Fortifications. If you can you could always lower the amount of cultists by 3-4 or maybe even up to 12 and throw in a Warpsmith or Lord as the CAD CSM leader and have a unit of KD Termy with combi flamers and fists/chains/claws. + if you go for the lower amount of cultists you could have some bloodletters. Of course this would boost the cost of the combined unit by a bit, but would give the option of at max charging in 3-4 different units.
Can't bring separate units in a transport, except for independent character + joined unit. Unless specified, because I hear the Tau Manta can carry ass loads of units.

It's either barely enough (10) in a regular Land Raider, or TOO many, like the Spartan. That's why the Cultists work out so well. At least they can fill the thing up.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -

post #214 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-31-15, 10:40 AM

6 Rapiers. 3 using hades and 3 using ectoplasma from the Maulerfiends in the back. Also in the back you have 3 Griffons using Basilisk kits.

Should be able to get a picky of the Griffons as Basilisks as well soon. They can be swapped if needed by lowering the body and reattaching the gun and shield.
post #215 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-31-15, 11:48 AM

@mayegelt pretty cool! I'm looking at getting some of the new mars 1/2 tank robot guys to continue building my grot tank force.

post #216 of 226 (permalink) Old 06-01-15, 03:13 PM

Drohar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Flesh hounds seem to be popular as they are out of stock. Damn. Just about to start a Khorne Deamonkin army as a summer project. Going to buy the Khorne Deamonkin Warband as I think it is good value for money, Asparing Champion model (to use as a Chaos Lord) and a Flesh hounds box. And since I am thinking of using Axe of Ruin on my Lord a Bloodthirster. That would give me:
1 Chaos Lord with 5 Flesh hounds
1 Citadel Finecast Herald of Khorne
12 Khorne Berzerkers
10 Chaos Space Marines
5 Possessed
3 Bloodcrushers of Khorne
5 Chaos Space Marines Terminators
1 Helbrute
and of course the Bloodthirster

Any recommendations?
Notice this is a fun list based on solely on my idea yesterday after seeing @Nordicus flesh hounds.
I think it would look cool having a Chaos Lord "walking" some hounds. But I cant start right away because they are out of stock
post #217 of 226 (permalink) Old 06-01-15, 03:39 PM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

The other option is to use "fantasy hounds of chaos". Then you get 10 for less than the flesh hounds.
post #218 of 226 (permalink) Old 06-01-15, 05:41 PM

They were out of stock when I ordered Flesh Hounds through my LGS and they were back in for order in about 2 days. Seems like if you give them a ring asking for them they will take your money and print some off soon.
The other option you have though is going for some Flesh Hounds http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/...unds-of-Khorne what are 30 for 5.
but also go for some Chaos Warhounds http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Chaos-Warhounds what are only 15.50 and you get 10!
So you practically get 4X as many for your money.
Most people don't tend to care if you have a mixed pack of both.
Personally I have 10 old Flesh Hounds before they became finecast nonsense.
Arbaal the Undefeated's Flesh Hound normally acts as a Herald

Also have 10 finecast ones to make up
and also have 10 Warhounds as well.
post #219 of 226 (permalink) Old 06-01-15, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomlust View Post
+1 khorne daemon save within 6"
I played a nice game at 1850pts...

Helforged Hunting Pack (1850)
Brass Scorpion with 1st War of Armageddon (735)
4 Maulers with 2 Lasher Tendrils (500)
4 Maulers with 2 Magma Cutters (540)
1 Void Shield Generator with 2 shields (75)

Just had the Scorp in the middle and flanked him with all the Maulers (4 per side). Had the Void shield just to make up the points and take a couple of shots out of the game.

I charged a pair of knights with 2 Maulers with Lashers and 1 with Magma and the Scorp. So -2 attacks on each knight took that down to just the 1 chance against me before I could smash his teeth in. Not to mention having 4+ Daemon saves then laughing at anything that did get through.

Only sad news is that I was told "Not to bring that army anymore if I want to play again."
TBH though I think I could bring the army again, I would just have to inform the opponent in advance so he could plan a little better, as Space Marines with a ton of Heavy Bolters and having bought enough skyfire to down any Princes or Thirsters that popped in to existence was not the best thing.

Had to use a few substitute models as the Scorpion isn't built and I only have 4 Maulers ATM.

Last edited by mayegelt; 06-01-15 at 06:26 PM.
post #220 of 226 (permalink) Old 06-01-15, 07:40 PM

Drohar's Flag is: United Kingdom

@DaisyDuke and @mayegelt thanks for the suugestions, I think I'll just try and be patient. But if decide to use flesh hounds onthem own I think I'll go with that cheaper option
@mayegelt nice to hear you bashed some knights

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Tactica Articles > Chaos Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode