Chaos Lords and You: Becoming Pals (a.k.a Chaos Lord Tactica) - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-14, 08:36 AM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

Seems a bit harsh on the axe and maul. I've got an unboxed termie lord I'm planning on running with an axe, maul, mark of nurgle and terminator armour. 132 points total. Anything with a 2 or 3 plus save gets the S5 axe, 4 up saves gets the S6 maul (and I can attack at initiative).

Fist and claw is good but expensive and looks unsatisfying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-14, 09:57 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
Fist and claw is good but expensive and looks unsatisfying.
I'll say, on that "looks unsatisfying." I have no idea how my biker lord drives his bike with those big clunky fisticlaw mitts on...

(my fisticlaw Juggerlord doesn't look too bad, though, honestly)

As for expense... axe and maul certainly seem like the cheap choice for a similar kit, but--that's only 10 points less than fisticlaws, really. Or, um, 12 points if you're in Termi armor.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-14, 04:16 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Not that its the best build or even a sensible one, but a Tzeenchian fist lord with sigil followed by 35 cultists is insanely hard to fight if you run into it with a hive tyrant or any single Character. Mind you the major weakness of this idea is the fact that cultists are real easy to kill, but for the few times it works its hilarious to see a 300pt character grind against a rerolling 3++ save for 3-4 turns.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come

Last edited by LukeValantine; 09-09-14 at 04:18 AM.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-14, 05:40 AM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
I'll say, on that "looks unsatisfying." I have no idea how my biker lord drives his bike with those big clunky fisticlaw mitts on...

(my fisticlaw Juggerlord doesn't look too bad, though, honestly)

As for expense... axe and maul certainly seem like the cheap choice for a similar kit, but--that's only 10 points less than fisticlaws, really. Or, um, 12 points if you're in Termi armor.
I guess it depends on the type of lord. For my Alpha Legion I don't want my lord to be a berzerker charging in swinging with giant fists, but I don't mind the idea for a World Eater. But it's also a weapon combination that I can't imagine easily in my head, in a cinematic sense I mean. I struggle to picture a guy killing things with a power fist. It's a bit like any model which has a whip as a weapon- like Lucius, a tyranid warrior or a hive tyrant.

That's not to say I always go with the more aesthetically pleasing modelling option, but with my CSM they were never designed to be a tournament standard list so I can make concessions like this and not worry about it.

15 points different for a terminator lord, only 10 for a power armour lord. In either case the fist/claw is superior and worth paying the extra points for, but I don't think it makes stuff like mauls and axes useless. Just a slightly cheaper alternative.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-14, 08:37 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
For my Alpha Legion I don't want my lord to be a berzerker charging in swinging with giant fists, but I don't mind the idea for a World Eater.
...y'know, that was actually a large reason behind my branching out into two warbands, with my collection. I didn't particularly want to have Alpha Legion cult troops, so now I have the Khorne-leaning Bone Machine, led by a pair of Juggerlords. And then GW released 2 supplements, so I can shamelessly field two different detachments from the three available, in spite of the fact that they're painted bone and blue-green, not crimson or black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeValantine View Post
Not that its the best build or even a sensible one, but a Tzeenchian fist lord with sigil followed by 35 cultists is insanely hard to fight if you run into it with a hive tyrant or any single Character. Mind you the major weakness of this idea is the fact that cultists are real easy to kill, but for the few times it works its hilarious to see a 300pt character grind against a rerolling 3++ save for 3-4 turns.
For a second there I was like "did I miss the Crucible or something?" for the rerolls (though that's just kinda Daemon of Tzeentch for only Invulns and -1T, so... not worth it), but then I had something of an epiphany moment and realized you were talking about the "crowd cheers you on" rerolls.

And hey, I'd build on that with Black Legion options: give him the Skull of Ker'ngar for Eternal Warrior against Instant Death attacks (and some psy protection); give him the Hand of Darkness to be able to one-shot that punk of a 300 point character.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 09-09-14 at 08:45 AM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-14, 10:53 AM
Warsmith

Uveron's Flag is: Great Britain

So I have to ask..

If you are going to run a Terminator lord.. what do people think is the best loadouts?

My gut instinct, says: MoT, BBoS, Chain Fist (or Power Lance)?

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-14, 03:47 PM

lockeF's Flag is: USA

So I have as lord load out that I find fun to play. Maybe not the most competitive but overall, he is pretty damn durable. OP mentioned palanquin models being too slow, which is true, I've always had them far too slow to really contribute but with the Crimson Slaughter supplement I may have found a work around.

Chaos Lord (or Sorcerer) with Mark of Nurgle, Palanquin, Daemon Heart, and Prophet of the voices. He joins up with some possessed and sometimes gets a 3++ and other times gets to be a beast. Which makes him quite fast. Without a weapon, the lord is 180. Which is definitely expensive, however you do have a 2+, 5++, IWND, 5 wounds, T5, and you can even get lucky and roll a warlord trait that gives FNP.

Like I said, maybe not the most efficient, but beyond ID weapons, that lord is great at not dying.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-14, 05:27 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Hmm. Fleet would be an awful lot cheaper than a Land Raider to carry him in...

(minor addendum to past posts: remember that in these 7e days, the challenge extra rerolls for folks sitting on the side are no longer a thing... since the rest of the unit can attack the enemy model in the challenge once everyone else in the combat is dead, or if the enemy model is alone. Even if they can't harm it)

@Uveron : I think the important thing to remember is "how is this guy different than a Terminator Champion? What does he offer?" Chainfisticlaws, BBoS and chainfist, what have you--most of the options for something that a Termi Champ doesn't offer are kind of expensive, but to my mind, worth it on his fairly improved statline.

CSM Plog, Tactica

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 03:45 AM
Warsmith

Uveron's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
I think the important thing to remember is "how is this guy different than a Terminator Champion? What does he offer?" Chainfisticlaws, BBoS and chainfist, what have you--most of the options for something that a Termi Champ doesn't offer are kind of expensive, but to my mind, worth it on his fairly improved statline.
OK

I would also say with his improved statline, it justifys the same set-up as a Termi Champ, if you are going to use them as 'a Striker unit'

Though I have been pondering running a Termi-Lord with BBOS and Power Lance in a 35 strong cultist block. Makes the Cultists fearless and becomes a huge block of objective secured troops who have a nice punch in CC.. but not sure if its worth it.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 04:44 AM
Entropy Fetishist

A Chaos Lord in Termi Armor, basic loadout (so power weapon and combi-bolter, like a Termi Champ basic) costs about 100 points. A Termi champion costs about 35 points. For those points you get a few WS, another BS, 2 more wounds, another attack and Fearless. The real value isn't in that small stat difference for about 3x the cost: the difference is the upgrade potential that can turn your Lord into a real monster: access to the Axe of Blind Fury, or the BBoS, or enough wounds to probably get to strike with fisticlaws in a challenge--etc.

My take on it, at least.

CSM Plog, Tactica

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Tactica Articles > Chaos Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode