What to Do Mk. II (Or, Tactica: 6e CSM in 7e) - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-21-14, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

*sputters* Raisin? This looked like a chocolate chip cookie! Thanks for giving me trust issues...

(edit: but yeah, thanks for the rep)

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 07-21-14 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-23-14, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Working on the other Allies segment, but am somewhat hampered by my lack of having played any other army apart from Astra Militarum. Am going to be shooting around a few ideas, but mostly, I think, leaving the field of discussion open to you readers.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #23 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-23-14, 09:08 AM

Remember they can ally with Renegades and Heretics as well (what seems to be the old guard book with mutants and stuff as well, and random leadership )

Also Helbrute Muderpacks work great behind an Aegis (or similar 4+ cover save) and cast shrouding on them. 2+ cover save for 5 ranged Helbrutes is tasty
ALSO the Crazed thing for them isn't a reroll... you PICK what result you want so long as the leader is alive. This makes them perfect for the hide behind a wall with shrouding and las/reaper with Missiles. THOUGH only the ones with the crazed markers get the result, not the whole unit, so isn't fantastic.

I would also note that taking a Daemon Prince from the Daemons codex that he DOES NOT have to take a psy power from his gods discipline, what makes him so much better as he can then roll 3X biomancy or telepathy then. Though of course you get the random gifts... pffft...

Last edited by mayegelt; 07-23-14 at 09:42 AM.

post #24 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-23-14, 09:43 AM

ALSO are you going to add a section for Escalation (Lord of Skulls) / FW nonsense for normal games like Stormeagle / Spartan / Relic Preditor / Comtemptor Dreadnaught what are all pretty much the same as the marine ones.
Decimator Daemon Engine (Bigger and tougher Helbrute with different guns and a daemon inside, can be marked and more costly an a defiler)
Blight Drones (Effectively a flying/hovering mobile battlecannon with a reaper attached to it and shoddy armour)
Blood Slaughterers (love these because of the impaler tanks / MCs to drag them 2d6 closer to you in your shooting phase so you can charge them on T1)
Plague hulk (basically a cheeper nurgle soul grinder for CSM but with slightly lower stats in some places and the phlegm becomes a rot cannon for S6 Rending instead of S8)
Giant Spawn (Bigger Chaos Spawn, counts as a monsterous creature and has better stats to go with it)
Necrosius (Nurgle Sorc, stats of a lord, FNP, turns cultists in to furious zombies)
Zhufor (Great Khorne Lord in terminator armour, comes with eternal warrior and has higher strength than a normal lord making it S10 all the time, also has legendary fighter making him able to mop up extra VPs all the time)
Arkos (Slightly better than normal lord stats but overall doesn't really have a lot going on for him outside of his warlord trait to allow you to reroll who gets to place first and seize the initiative.)

I can make up better desciptions of all these things if you want me to so you can add them to the list. Just say and I should be able to do them in a couple of hours.
post #25 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-23-14, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayegelt View Post
ALSO the Crazed thing for them isn't a reroll... you PICK what result you want so long as the leader is alive. This makes them perfect for the hide behind a wall with shrouding and las/reaper with Missiles. THOUGH only the ones with the crazed markers get the result, not the whole unit, so isn't fantastic.
Oh, right, mis-remembered but have just checked and you're right. The only thing that bothers me about that, still is the whole target prioritization of Fire Frenzy--if you pick that result, the entire unit has to shoot at the enemy unit that glanced the Helbrute, since they don't have Split Fire. And what if two enemy units glance two different Helbrutes (say, shooting from different sides of the unit)? If you shoot at one, you can't shoot at the other, and vice versa--so are you instead forced to shoot at the nearest enemy unit, since you can't shoot at one of those Brute's targets no matter what?

Awkward limitations to the best shooty Crazed roll, though you can, of course, just pick the "disregard Shaken and Stunned; gain Rage" roll, if you want to be able to pick your targets.

Quote:
I would also note that taking a Daemon Prince from the Daemons codex that he DOES NOT have to take a psy power from his gods discipline, what makes him so much better as he can then roll 3X biomancy or telepathy then. Though of course you get the random gifts... pffft...
...but at the same time doesn't have access to a spell familiar. Still arguably the better option, but... rerolling, say, Daemonology WC3 powers (whether failed or Perilsed) is great.

Still, both commentary/corrections worth editing into the original posts.

Quote:
ALSO are you going to add a section for Escalation (Lord of Skulls) / FW nonsense...
Good idea; I probably should. Though those are the things that I don't have access to or familiarity with, really (hence why they slipped my mind). I'd welcome a guest post by you, and would gladly edit it into the lineup. I've +repped you recently, I know, but I imagine that I could shout at people reading this thread to follow suit. Perhaps PM it to me so it doesn't get duplicated here in the thread twice/so I can do minor formatting tweaks and add annotated comments.

CSM Plog, Tactica

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 07-23-14 at 09:40 PM.
post #26 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-23-14, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Also: edited in a somewhat bare-bones "other allies" post. If you contribute thoughts that I arbitrarily consider "deep and of value," and/or possible allied detachments for other codexes, I will be editing that content the thread as quotes and +repping the person if I'm able.

CSM Plog, Tactica

post #27 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-23-14, 10:44 PM

Cooleo. Should be able to get on it either tomorrow after worky or maybe Friday / Weekend.
post #28 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-25-14, 05:12 AM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

About halfway through it now. Lots of fun to read. Thanks, Mossy!

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
post #29 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-25-14, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Have added a short little "CSM as Allies" segment, about wrapping it up for the 3rd post (though I'll be editing the guest post from @mayegelt into it if I can), marking the point where I start editing my way into the 4th post with my coming updates. Nice to see forward momentum on this tactica. I might be busy the next 5 or so days, though I'll see if I can't squeeze some writing into the cracks. Who knows, the change of scenery while I go visit my family might give me some extra time (riding in the car and suchlike) to get stuff written.

Glad you're enjoying the (re)read, @venomlust !

CSM Plog, Tactica

post #30 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-25-14, 10:03 PM

LORD OF SKULLS!!!! (Found in Escalation)
This guy was the previous Chaosy version of a warhound Titan. Slightly more expensive at just shy of 900Pts but also had some bonus stuff to go with it. Also a damn site cheaper in money though as the Warhound I believe is about £250ish and the Lord of Skulls is only around £100.
Going on to the stats and stuff though... Here you get a Super heavy Walker and all the standard rules that go with that. It also gets IWND, Rage, Fleet, Daemonforge and Daemon. So slightly faster than normal and hits a bit more, and gets a 5+ daemon save. It is also reasonable armour at 13-13-11, so not bad but not great.
It comes with 2 guns. The first is the Gorestorm though that can be replaced with an ichor or Daemongore. The other is a Hades Gatling what can be replaced with a Skull Hurler.
The Gorestorm and Daemongore weapons are kinda the same thing but the first is S8 AP3, while the upgrade makes it S9 but gains 'Instant Death' but also 'Gets Hot'. The weapon itself is a Hellstorm Flamer template.
The Ichor is S7 AP2 Large Blast so also not a great weapon considering the just shy of 900pts this beasty costs.
The bigger choice comes from the option of the Hades Gatling what is your standard S8 AP3 gun but with 12 shots a turn, so mass numbers of shots. Also has pinning.
The Skull Hurler takes a different method to do the same job. At S9 and AP3 still this weapon has an Apoc Blast, and any successful saves are made to reroll against it.
Now here comes the big reason to take it... Close Combat. Starting with a rather terrible A4 it does get 6 on charge. But for every HP lost by it during the game it gains an additional attack up to a max of 10 attacks. With 9 Hull points to lose this mounts up to max at the point it still has 3HP left. Also because of IWND then it can lose HP and regain them, but doesn't lose the bonus attacks. These attacks are of course made with the normal Titan/Knight style weapon, so a D weapon with AP1 and on top you do not get your Stomp attack but instead get an arguably better Thunderblitz attack what of course happens before combat rather than I1 like a Stomp.
Overall rating for this is it is a big load of points to burn and personally I am happier to spend the points on a load of smaller things. But taking that Skull Hurler can truly do a load of damage to a clustered unit of tanks or MEQ. But with that upgrade and the Daemongore one as well you are spending over 1000pts on a single thing with only a 5++ and no voidshields or anything else to protect it.

----

GREATER BRASS SCORPION OF KHORNE (Imp Armour 2013)
Once again a model that costs a fair bit of money £140ish. This model is a big expense at around the same as the Warhound Titan. With a reasonable AV of 14-13-10 and 9HP it has a stronger front than the Lord of Skulls but also a weaker rear what is vulnerable to bolters and such. This combined with it having a Doomsday Reactor (+2 to cata damage table) it means it goes out with a rather large BANG!. Though also having Daemon, IWND and its very special Runes of the Blood God rule that means all psy powers thrown at it will suffer a peril regardless of if they pass or fail to cast.
This beast also starts with more attacks and is also very fast at getting to combat due to having a charge range of 3D6 rather than the normal 2D6, though lacking Fleet that the Lord of Skulls gets it doesn't get that nice reroll on distance.
In combat it isn't a slouch, but does lack a D weapon. This is a major upset for a model costing as much as many of the alternatives that get one. HOWEVER it makes up for this in a way with instead of the normal D3 stomps it gets D3+2.
Now for the firepower.
It comes with 4 guns. The first is a Scorpion Cannon this is like the Hades Gatling with S6 AP3 and 10 Shots.
The second the Soulburner is basically a Demo cannon like on a Vindicator but ignores cover.
The other 2 guns are Hellmaw Cannons. These are your basic S6 AP3 Flamers.
The overall for this is again an expensive beasty, and personally I think once again it is to many points for how good it is. When something like the cost of 2 Imperial Knights, it isn't as good IMOO.

----

Chaos also gain access to Warhound and Reaver Titans, though they are a bit special as they can have marks that means things like Reroll Smash D3 for number of hits, IWND, Reroll 1s to hit, or lower then enemy LD in combat. Though reviews of these can be found for the Imperial versions.
Also they get the Thunderhawk Gunship what is the same as the Imperial version but you can get it possessed so it will eat your crew but restores its hull points if it does. Also as it gains Daemon it gets a nice 5++ save.

Last edited by mayegelt; 07-25-14 at 11:11 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Tactica Articles > Chaos Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode