Chaos 500pt - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-08, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Default Chaos 500pt

I made this Army list because I am starting out with Chaos Space Marines and wanted to make a small 500pt list first to start off and play some games with my friends.

I know the rules of the game and how the armies work, generally that is, because I have played a few games before with my friend. He is really into it and has like 3000+ Tyranids; 500ish SM, Tau, Eldar

I will mainly be playing against the armies I already listed that he has and some Imperial Guard as well; If that is important at all, thought I would mention it anyway just in case.

Chaos Terminator Sorcerer - 180 Points
-Terminator Armor
-Mark of Tzeentch
-Doombolt
-Bolt of Change

Chaos Space Marine Squad (10 Man) - 160
-Heavy Bolter

Chaos Space Marine Squad (10 Man) - 160
-Heavy Bolter

Total - 500

I took the Sorcerer with Terminator Armor to be kinda a do-it-all leader. The Doombolt for the general swarm (Since it can hit more then once with a single cast). Then use the Bolt of Change as a Heavy Shot of sorts to deal with say a, Tank; Tyrant; Anything big and armored.

I refrained from taking the Aspiring Champion with the Chaos Space Marines because 1) I didn't think that it was worth the points on this scale. 2) I thought that even if it was that having the Heavy Bolters and the buffed up HQ would be more helpful in general.

There are no Rhinos because 1) Didn't have the points 2) It wouldn't be of that much use, In my opinion that is, since until I expand the Army (at which point I plan on getting and using them). I will be playing mainly this friend and 1) he loves his 'nids and will likely use them the most 2) The Table we play on I won't have that much of an impairment if i can't move more then 6" a turn.

Any ideas, criticism, looks, suggestions, etc. would be very welcome. Thought I would get some input on it from people more experienced then I (this being my first army and all; I would like to add that i am very excited about this! ^_^)

- Vinh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-08, 11:29 PM

If you're going to be playing against your friends tyrainds it might not be a bad idea to take some bikes or a rhino and drop your squads down. More mobility to get out of range of whatever nasties he's sending your way.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-08, 07:35 PM

Syko515's Flag is: USA

....defiler. you'll want one when you get to the point of expansion. honestly the termie sorcerer is ok. but a sorcerer with wings is better for his point value.on that a deamon prince is even better.

Ave Dominae Nox

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-08, 09:48 PM

pyroanarchist's Flag is: USA

Sounds like a good basic start, but I would drop the termie armor on the sorc. Really with what you're playing its a big point cost that isn't helping much. The mark of Tzeentch will give you a 5+ invuln anyway. I would use the extra points to add a champ or an icon to each CSM squad. There is nothing worse than failing a Ld check and having power armored, dark god supporting, beefed up warriors running off the table like little sissy's. The last time I had a Terminator run off a board edge I about threw him into the driveway.

Anyway, hope you enjoy where the dark gods lead you. Its a great game and seems to only get better the longer you play and the more you understand about the armies.

Blood for the Blood God!

Brass Scorpion Project
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-08, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so I went over to my friends house and I put them all together and we played a few games.

First things first. I actually decided while at the store that I would buy something shiny and special...I just couldn't resist the Defiler =D With adding the Icons, Champions, and a power fist to the squads i actually came to 740~ points. Which was a pleasant surprise.

I did however play a 500 point him as well using the above list. I loved being able to use two spells on one turn which was used to great effect against his 'Nids.

Pyro you are correct, the Terminator Armor really didn't make much of a difference. If he got into combat with his brood lord or his genestealers I was in Trouble all the same. (Though that Force Weapon was a nasty surprise for a carnifex (had killed all synapse prior)

I was bowled over in the first game, he got first turn and the dice gods weren't on my side very often.

The second game he used his Tau and it went much smoother for me. Aside from one slip up shooting the front armor of his devil ship in rapid fire and hitting 16 times, only to remember I couldn't hurt it >.<; but I crushed him.

We then played a Third and Fourth game; Against his Tyranids and his Tau respectively at 750 points.

The 'Nids had the tides turned on them. With luck on my side (also the defiler Cannon helped) I beat them, not by alot, but I did beat them. (Carnifex = Annoying as hell when only 3-4 of my guns can hurt it.)

The Tau I managed to demolish once again, even more so then the first time. But it was likely because of his terrible luck. (When a Heavy Bolter rolls a Six and gets a Glancing then Gets a second Six and destroys a piranha; This happened twice; It is pretty bad luck for him.)

So far my thoughts:
1) NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER let 'nids even relativly close to you.
2) Terminator armor isn't that hard to punch through
3) The normal Chaos Marines are Durable little guys

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts. Glad to have my first games with my own Army. Was a Blast and plan to keep on Growing.

Any ideas for expanding? So far my thoughts include (but not limited to): Dakka Predator, Some Termies, a Daemon Prince.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-08, 08:48 PM

pyroanarchist's Flag is: USA

Daemon princes are always valuable, I seem to run one in almost every game I play as CSM. I really like Predator's using the TL Las and SS hvy bolters. Termies are great, but I wouldn't worry about them until you're over 1k points. Rhino's are almost necessities. You probably want to look into what kind of theme you're going with on the army as well. If you want a solid themed Death Guard, World Eaters, Night Lords, or any of the other 5 themed Legions you should decide that before you go on a spending spree. If you're looking at a standard renegade chapter, or Black Legion you aren't limited at all.

I like themed armies myself, but I've been playing for a relatively long time and know a lot of the fluff behind the Chaos Legions. I personally will never field Berzerkers next to Noise Marines, but its not against the rules in any way. Definately decide what direction you want to go with the army before making purchases though. Its an expensive hobby and if you end up buying a bunch of units you don't use its just that much more expensive.

Blood for the Blood God!

Brass Scorpion Project
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-08, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Hmm....

I am still un-deceided on if I want to have a theme or if I am going to mix and match. I can understand the thought on keeping it with the fluff. I like the idea alot. The only thing about it is that i dont want it to become a weakness. Like, I am not a powergamer. I am perfectly fine with losing; If you only win you can never learn; But i dont want to be gimped.

I have been fiddling around with Army lists in my boredom sitting around and have come up with an idea on a 1500 Point List. Oddly enough all the icons are Khorne aside from the Chaos Glory i have on the standard CSM troops. It is kinda weird though, because i know some of the fluff. but not all of it. Does Khorne have a problem with vehicles? I know he hates pyskers for example.

Just incase you want to see it here is what i made up. Good or no i have no idea but I was fiddling and it came out a perfect 1500. Your right, I don't want to go spend a bunch on units I won't use in my Army.

This list (which i like) doesnt use the Sorceror for example i have but personally something like that is fine because 1) i like it just for being itself, it looks cool and I like the paint i have on it. If i dont end up using it i can still have it around because it is cool and thats fine with me. 2) if i was playing a smaller game i would still use it instead of something else as a leader because i think it is better in small games then large (i would think)

Chaos 1500 (mainly Khorne; idk)

Daemon Prince - 140
-Wings
-Mark of Khorne

Chaos Lord - 160
-Jump-pack
-Mark of Khorne
-Daemon Weapon

Chaos Terminators - 230
-5 of them
-Mark of Khorne
-5 Lighting Claws

Chaos Space Marines - 245
-10 of them
-Aspiring Champ
-Power Fist
-Heavy Bolter
-Chaos Glory Icon
-Rhino

Chaos Space Marines - 220
-10 of them
-Aspiring Champ
-Heavy Bolter
-Chaos Glory Icon
-Rhino

Chaos Defiler - 155
-havoc Launcher

Chaos Predator - 100
-Heavy Bolters

Chaos Raptors - 250
-10 of them
-Mark of Khorne
- 2 Meltaguns

I mean for the Chaos Lord to Accompany the Raptors and the Daemon prince to serve as either a counter assault to rapidly re-deploy where he is needed

The Terminators i mean to Deep Strike in with the Icons. Kinda use them as a mobile strike force, for if say a unit is being overwhelmed or is about to face odds against them by alot. Like if a Unit of Chaos Space Marines is about to face some heavy odds, say 3 Units of Space Marines for example. Move the Marines 12" then Rapid Fire into one of the squads and then deep strike in the terminators to Assault into another and rip it to shreds. Then from there it is a two versus 1, 1 1/2 Fight instead of a 1v3 fight

The Predator i mean to be a Dakka Pred and act as suppressive fire and help in fights against Horde armies by laying out alot of medium-high strength shots.

The defiler is there to help out in the Anti-Armor section and deal with highly bunched up squads. I personally love the effect of the latter. Playing a friend he moved his Genestealers into the woods after killing off my squad. But they were bunched up in there so the defiler opened fire. Killed all but 3 who my Sorcerer killed after him.

The Raptors I plan on using as both anti-armor; with the melta guns; and as a strike force to slam into a Flank. with the charge off they get 30 attacks, combined with the Daemon weapon of the lord that could be up to 42 Attacks :O I wouldn't want to be on the other end of that personally

Comes out to a perfect 1500 too. I like nice even pretty numbers.

Comments? Suggestions? I like criticism aslong as it is constructive and you've been a help ^^

Last edited by Vinh_Faustus; 03-30-08 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Messed up with a copy and paste...stupid me

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode