2000 point Non-lash Competitive Tournament list. Feel the power! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-10, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Default 2000 point Non-lash Competitive Tournament list. Feel the power!

So, I'm entering a tourney soon, good prizes, hope to win and all that. Now, I've never been a fan of the Lash lists, but I have decided to go hard with this, and I'm rather happy with the result. I'm looking for any comments and criticisms to help get this list fully toned of course.

HQ
Lucius the Eternal -

Fabius Bile -

Elites:
Chaos Dreadnought -
/with Multi-melta, missile launcher
/extra armour, heavy flamer

Chaos Dreadnought

Possessedx9
/with champion, MoN

Troops:
Thousand Sons x5
/Asp Sorcerer with bolt of change

Dedicated Rhino
W/extra armour, havoc launcher

Noise Marines x10
/Asp. Champion w/Power fist

Enhanced CSM x8
/Asp. Champion with Plasma Pistol

Lesser daemons x 10

Lesser daemons x10

Fast Attack:
Chaos Spawnx3

Heavy Support:
Possessed Dakka Predator
/heavy bolter sponsons, Dozer blade
/possessed, dirge caster, combi-flamer

=2002 points, I'm sure no one will mind the extra 2.

Now then, tactics. Ok, the two multi-melta dreads will sit back with the Predator and provide fire support, while the Assault Noise Marines, Enhanced CSM and Possessed rush up the centre to blitz the opposition. They'll be covered somewhat by the Spawn, who should tie up the enemy shooters pretty quickly. Once there, the daemons will drop, and the enemy will be in the middle of a perfect storm of stompiness. The thousand sons will be providing anti-vehicle fire support with Bolt of Change to pop enemy transports. All together, it should function quite well, and has plenty of troops to capture objectives, while not giving up too many kill points.

Anyway, It's a new list for me, but I have a good feeling about it. So, comments, criticisms, praise for not falling into the twin-lash trap? Have your say!

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 04-01-10 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-10, 12:22 PM

i hate to say it but i can't see this list doing well at all. (btw i don't like lash lists either even tho i do run them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddermax View Post

HQ
Lucius the Eternal - 160
lucius is... ok, but you'r army has no way of using him effectively, you have 1 rhino in the entire army and that will be taken care of very fast.

Fabius Bile - 160
this guy doesn't even have a power weapon making him almost useless in combat and the "enhanced warriors" are too random +3 points per model with a 1 in 3 chance to start killing them off for what +1 str?

Elites:
Chaos Dreadnought -
CSM shooty dreads suffer badly from thier crazed rule, basicaly a 1 in 3 chance to either do nothing due to having to run towards the enemy or most likely shoot your own troops in the back twice.

Chaos Dreadnought
as above

Possessedx9
/with champion, MoN
26 pts each for a completely random unit, you have no idea what will happen with these guys and without a transport (which they can't take they're just going to get shot to pieces

Troops:
Thousand Sons x5
/Asp Sorcerer with bolt of change
177 pts for a single str8 ap1 shot? you can get a predator with 3 LC's or 2 oblits for cheaper

Dedicated Rhino
W/extra armour, havoc launcher
where is this rhino going? i'm hoping the noise marines, and if so the havoc launcher isn't needed as your going to be going 12" every turn untill they are in combat.

Noise Marines x10
/Asp. Champion w/Power fist
i like noise marine assault squads but i'd suggest putting a doomsiren on the champ, vs meq that can really ruin thier day before you assault

Enhanced CSM x8
/Asp. Champion with Plasma Pistol
no transport, no way of taking out armour reliably, a champ with a plasma pistol when you could take a melta for cheaper and save yourself the pts to upgrade to the champ.

Lesser daemons x 10
i have no experiance using or even seen anyone using them but i personaly wouldn't use them in a tournament as they are too fragile

Lesser daemons x10
as above

Fast Attack:
Chaos Spawnx3
SNP, and no save...

Heavy Support:
Possessed Dakka Predator
/heavy bolter sponsons, Dozer blade
/possessed, dirge caster, combi-flamer
you can shave some points off here, having sponsons you're going to be sat still for most if not all game so no need for the dozer, dirge caster is for tank shock which if you're not moving you're not tank shocking, lastly the combi flamer i assume won't be used as you'll be sat at 36" away shooting so the flamer will get limited use

=2002 points, I'm sure no one will mind the extra 2.
in tournaments the points limit is there for a reason and in 2000 pts you can easy shave 2.

Now then, tactics. Ok, the two multi-melta dreads will sit back with the Predator and provide fire support, while the Assault Noise Marines, Enhanced CSM and Possessed rush up the centre to blitz the opposition. They'll be covered somewhat by the Spawn, who should tie up the enemy shooters pretty quickly. Once there, the daemons will drop, and the enemy will be in the middle of a perfect storm of stompiness. The thousand sons will be providing anti-vehicle fire support with Bolt of Change to pop enemy transports. All together, it should function quite well, and has plenty of troops to capture objectives, while not giving up too many kill points.

Anyway, It's a new list for me, but I have a good feeling about it. So, comments, criticisms, praise for not falling into the twin-lash trap? Have your say!
Ok onto your tactics, and from the look of it you've misjudged the units you've chosen. Firstly your dreads sat near your pred with multimeltas? a 1 in 3 chance of either running forward and not shooting or ripping apart the pred with meltas, not my kind of odds.

The possesed, and enhanced csm arn't going to blitz anywhere without transports, they'll be shot to death before getting anywhere near. The deamons will drop when the dice say so not you, they could come on turn 2 right in the middle of the board and if your opponent has and blast templates they're gonna have a field day.

You're spending a huge ammount of points on the Tsons for a single str8 shot it's just not worth it and where's the rhino going? if it's with the tsons i assume it's going to sit on an objective leaving your "assault" squads to get shot at while footslogging.

I don't mean to be so negative and believe me when i say i feel the same about lash lists, i wish there were other good builds for chaos i really do. But this list doesn't work well together your squads won't be able to get into combat fast enough.

I mean lets just compare it to a 1500 pt lash list my friend gets 9 oblits in his, all he would do is sit in his rhino's lash your squads into a big ball and fire 9 plasma cannon shots every turn moving 2 squads back every turn on average 7" or moving a suad closer then assaulting with 2 princes, thats 10 attacks hitting on 3's wounding on 2's with no save.

my other friends SM army would just use his vindi's to rain str 10 pie plates into your squads anything thats left gets assaulted by TH/SS termies with kantor in a LR, thats 20 attacks at str 8 no saves.

those are both 1500 pt lists and i would put money on them winning over your 2000 pts list.

I'm not writing all this crap to have a go bud i'm really not, i want any chaos player to do well in a tournament esp if you say there's prizes, you want to take a force thats got a good chance of winning, this just isn't it.

Last edited by OpTi; 04-01-10 at 01:03 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-10, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

So, do you think Huron Blackheart could be a better option for the HQ then? I haven't much experience with him, what do other people thing?

And though the spawn don't have a save, their extra toughness and wounds should be fine, maybe if I took an extra unit of them they might do better?

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 04-01-10 at 12:41 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-10, 12:40 PM

lol madder, don't even get me started

actualy there's someone who uses huron in our local and when i got later i might just challenge him with my prince and just to prove how bad he is i won't even attack and still kill him.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-10, 01:24 PM

b.anthracis's Flag is: England

You should take

Lash DP, PMs and Oblits. Man, always such people thinking they can field something else in a chaos tourny army.

Last edited by b.anthracis; 04-01-10 at 04:51 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-10, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Don't quite know what you're getting at old chap, but I'm really needing advice on this, so any one else have some good pointers?

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-10, 05:46 PM

Frogthor's Flag is: Canada

CSM only have one effective tourny list, sadly, which is a Lash Prince, Plague Marines, and lots and lots of Oblits (max 9). Named HQs are a waste of money and points. (Especially FB). I personally have nothing against dreadnoughts, but they can be risky in a tourny. Same with possessed.

In summary, get at least a DP in there, it does not need to be lash, some PM, and a few oblits. After that do whatever the fuck you want

Please Click!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
I'm probably going to follow my usual Eldar tactic of driving around the table "circling and screaming 'I don't give a fuck' with my windows down and system up" and avoiding anything that looks scary.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-10, 06:28 PM

Constatine_Valdor's Flag is: Spain

Icon

I'll try to give you my point of view in this list. I'm with you about not using lash but damn, they are really good things but i think there are other options in the army that can have a chance but what froghtor said it's true, that list wins (or has high numbers to win) tourneys.

That this list is really bad in a tournament, you don't have enough sinergy in your squads to make them win battles, opti has done a good job with his comments so i won't repeat with that and just put the list and my personal recommendation to use them. Don't forget to give him some "Rep" points, he made a good job and a lot of time to write and help you.

I'll try to give you an idea of what i have on mind:

Lucius The Eternal --> 160 points

He goes with his Slaaneshi friends in the rhino and thx to the dual siren, you can kill a lot of people like opti has said before and finish the rest in close combat.

Slaaneshi Lord with Daemonic Weapon, Bike, Combi-Melta --> 180 points

Damn, he's a killing machine. He can assault people in Turn 2 (or Turn 1 if they enemy move forward you) and kill them thx to the special rule of his weapon (4 + 1D6 Instant Death attacks ), a small bike squad should help him deal with the problem.

9 Noise Marines (Paladin with Siren and Power Weapon) --> 225 points
Transport: Rhino --> 35 points

I'm not sure about the price of Siren, i put it as it values as 15, if it's wrong, plz let me know

10 Chaos Space Marines (Paladin with Power Fist, Icon of Khorne, 2 meltaguns) --> 240 points

10 Chaos Space Marines (Paladin with Power Fist, Icon of Khorne, 2 meltaguns) --> 240 points

These 2 units of Chaos Marines are "Khorne" but they represent the brutality in your army. Good pounch, good stats and with anti-tank firepower, something that Berserkers don't have. I used them against MEQs and they work REALLY well.

7 Plague Marines --> 147 points

7 Plague Marines --> 147 points

These 2 units are really cool defending objectives meanwhile the rest of the army destroy the enemy army and capture the other objectives with your other troop choices. They don't need upgrades, they are just for holding objectives and survive, let the rest of the army to make their job.

5 Chaos Bike Squad (Paladin with Power Fist, 2 with Meltaguns, Icon of Khorne) --> 255 points

They go with the Slaaneshi Lord as "bodyguard". I know this is anti-fluff (Slaanesh-Khorne) and i'm a defender of fluff but you are in a tournament and nobody will respect it so you're "justified" (although i don't like it). The power fist and Icon of Khorne give you some good attacks to "finish" what the lord started with I6
Just be careful with them cause they are only 6 miniatures and they are "fire-magnet" (sorry if it isn't the right expression, i'm not english speaker )
People understimated them but bikes are something really scary and Chaos Space Bikes are the second most feared (behind Nob Bikers).

2 Obliterators OR 1 Defiler with 2 extra close combat weapons --> 150 points

1 Defiler with you a Leman Russ template and a killing machine in Close Combat but the Obliterators give you more game, you decide.

2 Obliterators --> 150 points

This unit is something basic just cause of their "sinergy" with the army. They give you the long-range firepower you really need and they can deepstrike anywhere in the map safely AND where you need them thx to the icons.

Total: 1999 points

KPs: 13 (Just take care in Annihilation games and you'll be fine )
Scoring: 5

You have 3 Rhinos and 1 Bike Squad to get the fight to the enemy (and 1 Defiler if you decide to include them) with enough firepower and combatpower to deal with the enemy and crush him. Just stay focus, sleep well and

Hope this helps you.

The Emperor Protects ME!!

TKE's NTGU Brigade
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-10, 09:13 PM

Inquisitor Malaclypse's Flag is: Honduras

Huhthis is either a competitive list based on fluffor(and if Im out of line and wrong, I truly am sorry) an April Fools joke.

On the other hand, if youve had a lot of success wit this list, then dont change it.

Lucius is not a terrible choice, though DPs, Kharn, etc. are picked over him time and time again. Since you seem to have Tzeentch/Slaanesh lean, Id drop Bile for a Tzeentchian Sorc.

If you insist on keeping the Dreads, Id recommend two CCWs and a heavy flamer or a HB. CCW Dreads play into a Khornate theme as theyre crazy and tend toward rushing at things.

Ive no experience with Possessed, if youve had success with them, have at it, other wise Id go with one or two units of Chosen or even termicide. I think for the points you have on the Possessed you can actually take 3 termicide squads.

Bulk up your TSons, drop the Enhanced Marines and Lesser Daemons, and take more NMs. give your existing NM squads champ a Doom Siren.

For your Heavies, Id drop the Spawn, and use at least one Oblit squad (3 in the unit) and two dakka Preds with HB sponsons, and maybe Extra Armor.

Well, thats what I would run. Tell us how you do.

good hunting.

Amid the Weeping and the Woe, Accursed Daemon Thou Remain And Rot; I Know Thee Filthy as Thou Art I Know...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-10, 01:20 AM

Dawnstar's Flag is: New Zealand

Constatine that list of your's looks absolutely golden!

Made me go when I read it. Would you mind if I borrowed the list to use at some point? Have some rep for not only an awesome list, but some very detailed comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Mate, bacon can do anything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode