CSM 'Ard Boyz List - Comments Please - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-09, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Default CSM 'Ard Boyz List - Comments Please

This is my 'Ard Boyz list for this year. I've never competed in an official GW tourney so this will be a new experience for me.

HQ

Abaddon the Despoiler – 275 points

Daemon Prince – (155 points total)

w/ Wings
w/ Mark of Slaanesh
w/ Lash of Submission

ELITE

Terminators x5 – (235 points total)

5 w/ Pair of Lightning Claws
1 w/ Icon of Tzeentch

Terminators x5 – (205 points total)

1 w/ Power Fist
1 w/ Chain Fist and Combi-Melta
1 w/ Reaper Autocannon

TROOP

Chaos Space Marines x10 – (190 Points Total)

2 w/ Plasma Gun
1 w/ Icon of Chaos Undivided

Chaos Space Marines x10 – (190 Points Total)

2 w/ Plasma Gun
1 w/ Icon of Chaos Undivided

Thousand Sons x8 – (294 Points Total)

w/ Aspiring Sorcerer with Doombolt and Personal Icon
w/ Rhino

TROOP (continued)

Thousand Sons x8 – (294 Points Total)

w/ Aspiring Sorcerer with Doombolt and Personal Icon
w/ Rhino

HEAVY SUPPORT

Chaos Land Raider – 220 Points

Obliterators x 3 – 225 Points

Chaos Defiler – (150 Points Total)

w/ Close Combat Arm in Lieu of Heavy Flamer
w/ Close Combat Arm in Lieu of Reaper Autocannon

This list is 2433 points as of now and I am at a bit of a loss on where to spend the remaining 67 points.

I plan on putting Abaddon in the LR with the T.Sons termies, and using the DP to LoS units into CC with them. Using my troops to claim objectives (foot regulars for ones close to me, T.Sons in Rhinos for the ones further away). And using my Obliterators to take care of vehicles with multi-meltas/lascannons or massed troops with plasma cannons while the Defiler uses its battlecannon to further deal with enemy troops, and its awesome CC for anything that gets too close for comfort.

I have no money to spend on additional models =( but I do have plenty of bits.

What weaknesses/flaws do you see in this list? Where should those freakin' extra points go?

Thanks in advance. Will be back to check on the thread when I get home from work today.

EDIT: Sorry about the wargear costs thing. I was unaware. I guess I should RTFM.

Last edited by Chaos&Beer; 07-08-09 at 05:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-09, 12:29 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Please remove individual wargear costs!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-09, 02:03 PM

Crythos's Flag is: Canada

1 Small Issue. Chaos Land Raiders can only hold 5 Terminators so you need to drop the T.Sons Termie Squad down to 4 if Abaddon is going to ride with them.

Also by dropping 1 termie and making the land raider a dedicated transport choice for the Terminator Squad you could take another Oblit and make 2 squads of 2 Oblits.

Last edited by Crythos; 07-08-09 at 02:25 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-09, 02:34 PM

johnnymajic's Flag is: Canada

Firstly as The King Elessar said, please remove the individual points costs, you just need the total. This can get the site into legal trouble with GW.

Secondly I see a few flaws:

I know the Tzeentch terminators sound like an amazing idea and I see you want a Tzeentch army, but that little bit higher invunerable save isn't really worth the points for only 4 models (assuming you drop one to make room for Abbadon in the landraider). With my lightning claw termi's i either go with Slaanesh because it ensures you will be striking first, or khorne because thats a hella lot of attacks which can be re rolled if missed.

As awesome as Thousand sons are against meq, in the 'ard boys tournament you won't just be seeing marines or necrons. So Thousand sons don't reallly have too much of a place in take all comers list. For the future (seeing as you can't afford more models) I would go for some plague marines as objective holders or some Noise marines to form a gun line. To go capture objectives you can go with either of the two mentioned or my personal favourite khorne bezerkers. No regular infantry unless in massed numbers (tyranids & Okrs) or specialized infantry (grey knights) can stand up to Bezerkers for too long.

Another note on troop choices, the general rule of thumb is one troop choice per 500 points, and you only have 4. As I am not sure of 'ard boys tournament rules you may be doing the right thing.

Other than that it looks to me like you're doing everything right (imo), good luck in the tourney and I hope this helped
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-09, 02:47 PM

Khorothis's Flag is: Hungary

So this is all the models you have? Hmm... lets see what I can do for you...
The only thing I can argue with is the gear of the Termies, namely that Reaper AC. I like insanely big guns that wouldn't be out of place on a helicopter on a tank, but here it just doesn't work that well. So heres my idea for the two Termies:

5xChaos Termies; 5xChamps, 5xLCs, MoK (280)

5xChaos Termies; MoT, Heavy Flamer, 3xCombi-Plasma (205)

Land Raider; Daemonic Possession (240)

The idea is that you roll in your LR with your MoT Termies, unload them, then DS in Abaddon's MoK Termies and the Obliterators, who can make full use of their arsenal. The LR needs Daemonic Possession in order to withstand all the love hes going to get.

Oh, and like TKE said, remove the individual point costs, or yous gonna get raepd by GW lawlsuits. Seriously. Do it like I did and you should be fine. Or you'll have a cellmate to kill time with.

The fool, the coward, and the ignorant proclaim that the warp is a realm of unknowable peril and indescribable terror, that it is the hell of countless ancient myths and legends. This is a lie, told by those whose authority is based on lies, to keep the masses terrified of the unknown. The warp is limitless power and its secrets are infinite; it is knowledge and strength, life and death, and the untapped potential to make and remake worlds. It takes only the discipline and the will to shape it; those who lack that clarity of purpose are liable to be shaped by it instead.

- Ahzek Ahriman of the Thousand Sons
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-09, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I am going to test all of these different arrangements today against my buddy's 'Nids.

Oh, and sorry again about the points cost thing.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-09, 07:37 PM

Khorothis's Flag is: Hungary

No problem, and good luck! If you need further advice just post your questions in this thread and we'll know whats going on.

The fool, the coward, and the ignorant proclaim that the warp is a realm of unknowable peril and indescribable terror, that it is the hell of countless ancient myths and legends. This is a lie, told by those whose authority is based on lies, to keep the masses terrified of the unknown. The warp is limitless power and its secrets are infinite; it is knowledge and strength, life and death, and the untapped potential to make and remake worlds. It takes only the discipline and the will to shape it; those who lack that clarity of purpose are liable to be shaped by it instead.

- Ahzek Ahriman of the Thousand Sons
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-09, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Things didn't go that well last night. Swarm armies are definitely a problem for me. Punching through the lines of swarms of little stuff to get at the big stuff is really difficult for me for some reason, similar to the way that I have problems beating the Fiancetto/Sicilian Defense openings in chess =(

I run into this with IG, Orks, and 'Nids all the time and hardly ever win against it. Swarm armies just shut me right down!

Any suggestions for doing this with my list would be greatly appreciated.

Against any other type of army I usually perform really well, it's just those damned swarms!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-09, 12:06 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

A Problem. With the list as is, you don't have enough Flamers to take down hordes reliably. Perhaps putting one back on the Defiler would make some headway, and replacing the Reaper.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-09, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I realized that today when I was thinking about what to do. With the points that I gained by dropping a terminator from the CC squad that rolls with Abby and the reaper, plus the points that I had left over, I took a bunch of combi-flamers and a heavy flamer in the terminator squad.

That should punch a pretty decent hole. The only problem is that they can remove models from anywhere right? Not just under the flamer template? So they could just leave all of the crap that is in my way if I don't kill everything. AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I guess I'll just have to wing it. I'll think of something. I might have to just pull out the credit card despite the fact that my wife will murder me if I do. Thanks for all of your guys' help though. The Khornite Terminator Champion thing worked out really well, as did the Slaaneshi Termingtons. =)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode